Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2005, 10:41   #31
Senior Member+

re: Rhyddings High School??

lol @ panther. Miss Foster had a nervous breakdown whilst i was at school. Rumors at the time said she was having an affair with the music teacher. All she did when she came back to school was switch the cooker on , open the door, dribble and fall asleep. Poor woman. Ive remembered by sewing teacher was Miss Wallace. She got hitched to the new gym teacher who was a bit of a dish at the time.
I was taught by Tom Howarth for Geography. Funnily enough his older brother Bernard taught me at Hippings Methodist. My english teacher was Mrs Glenn, she was really nice.
jimmi5bellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-06-2005, 12:14   #32

The headmaster was indeed Mr Marsden or LOL as he was known by the kids...why did he used to insist that the bad kid of the day made him his daily brew was beyond me ..I dare not say what we did to it..the shame of it all..and Mr and Mrs Merrigold were married she was the music teacher and he was RE and if anyone was in his class you can not help but remember his prayer that used to start..light in our darkness we beseach thee ohh lord..I wont go on but I could LOL its firmly in my head..and as for Paddy hefernan he was a nutter and he actully had a full blown scrap with me in front of loads of kids he got me by the hair and kneed me in the face ..he thought I was knocking on his window..why did he have the windows blanked out I do not know it encouraged the knockers..but I swear to god it was not me I am 47 years old now...and by the way I am female also..LOL sheer nutters at rhyddings..but I look back with fondness also..Linda
Pheonixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2005, 18:54   #33
Junior Member+

Smile re: Rhyddings High School??

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther
ok whos from rhyddings county high school, and i dont mean Rhyddings Business and Enterprise School, as it is now called!!! i mean when miss moore was the head!, and blazers were the fashion. c,mon dont be shy......

oooooo.......i went to rhyddings in the old days of blazers n Miss Moore! i remember it well!! ooooo those where the days! didnt think so @the time though
Old 17-08-2005, 21:52   #34

The headteacher from 1961 to 1974 was Mr Marsden (LOL). Miss Moore then took over in September 1974. Mr Newton is still teaching at Rhydddings and has been there since 1971. The music teacher in the 70's was Mrs Merrigold who was married to the RE teacher. Mr Gibson taught Geography and he was the son of the first Head of Rhyddings Richard Gibson. Teachers who I remember well are: Mr Haworth, Mr Eland, Mr Downs, Mr Abbott, Mr Barnes, Mrs Barnes (unrelated), Mr Thompson, Mr Cunliffe, Mr Kerr, Mr Waterhouse, Mr Howland, Mr Ogilvy, Mr Smith, Mr Fox, Mrs Banks, Mr Frankland and Mr Bradley.
rex29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2005, 20:49   #35

i went to rhyddings from 1979-1984 and spent 5 years looking out the window,who remembers that lovely old man frank eland and his big black strap and that bald headed git mr parr,a couple of nazi war criminals them two were,also that little dweeb mr ainsworth.spent many years on special report.
wacking it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 07:31   #36
Senior Member+

Wacking it i have to disagree with you there.Parr, Eland were nowhere near as bad as that pathetic wood work teacher.The big blonde one, forgot his name.Nobody remember Mr. Waterhouse.Jolly old bloke, walked around with a blazer on looking like a nonce compared to all teh other teachers.
Old 15-10-2005, 13:46   #37

heya peepz well i go rhyddings now i aint got a clue who all them teachers who you all wer talkin bout but for some for u that might of remebered him and didnt know this... mr jagger the art teacher actually passed away last year, he has worked at the school 4 loadsa years and he was still a techer when he died... even tho it was durin the 6 week hols of last year
anywayz rhyddings has got mile better since the ''olden days'' and it has got a new tech block now and a new smart extension! oOoOo lol!
anywayz seeyaz all x x x x x x x
sam......b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2005, 21:51   #38
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam......b
heya peepz well i go rhyddings now i aint got a clue who all them teachers who you all wer talkin bout but for some for u that might of remebered him and didnt know this... mr jagger the art teacher actually passed away last year, he has worked at the school 4 loadsa years and he was still a techer when he died... even tho it was durin the 6 week hols of last year
anywayz rhyddings has got mile better since the ''olden days'' and it has got a new tech block now and a new smart extension! oOoOo lol!
anywayz seeyaz all x x x x x x x
Looks like the standard of english has gone downhill, 2/10.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 21:27   #39
Senior Member+

pmsl @ bazf ! nice one.
Shame to hear about Mr Jagger, he was there when i was but i was fortunate he never taught me.
Anybody remember Captain Kremmen, the French teacher McMannus ?
Old 19-10-2005, 22:21   #40
Senior Member+

Hmmm, I went to the tech before it became part of Rhyddings but I remember lots of the teachers mentioned. The head was Mr. Marsden, Mr. Elland-metal, Mr. Howland-wood, Mr Waterhouse-english I think, Mr. Ogilvy-?, Mr. Abbott -science, Mrs.Westwell-art and my favourite, Bob Cunliffe-P.E. My wife also went to Rhyddings in the late 50s.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 22:35   #41
Senior Member+

I seem to remember that Mr Waterhouse was Maths......... I remember all of the ones you mentioned, ossy, but can't for the life of me remember who taught English. It seems that, whoever it was, he did a better job of it than the one there at the moment!!

I'm due to fly to Manchester on Saturday and will be spending next week in Oswaldtwistle...........I can't wait to see the old place again!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 22:54   #42
Senior Member+

Both my parents went to Rhyddings, would imagine they was there in the 50's too. My mum told me they was taught my Miss Hitching who i believe became Mrs Banks ? They used to call her Scratch, lol.
Old 19-10-2005, 23:02   #43
Senior Member+

I left in 1967, Mr Marsden was still head then. Having lived away from the area for most of my life since then, I have no idea what happened to my classmates. We were going to be friends forever..........ummmm!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 23:23   #44
Junior Member+

i go rhyddings year 11 now finally
sledden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2005, 23:35   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledden
i go rhyddings year 11 now finally

....and you should be tucked up in bed !

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..