Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2015, 19:31   #16
Junior Member+

Re: Roy Frankland

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Hi Paul,
Please give him my very best regards, and tell him how much I enjoyed his lessons, although I'm not sure he will remember me.
Just as an insight I was very good at cricket myself.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Road
Hi Philip

Sadly Dad didn't make a connection to your name today but Milton Suthers' name didn't really engage either - sorry. Did you go on any of the school camps? If so we might have crossed paths.

He was pleased to hear you enjoyed his lessons.

Best wishes

Paul
Paul Frankland is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-11-2015, 13:37   #17
Senior Member+

Am I correct in thinking that Roy became a pro cricketer? Did he play for any team other than Accrington ?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 08:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frankland View Post
Hi Philip

Sadly Dad didn't make a connection to your name today but Milton Suthers' name didn't really engage either - sorry. Did you go on any of the school camps? If so we might have crossed paths.

He was pleased to hear you enjoyed his lessons.

Best wishes

Paul
Hi Paul,
Thanks for giving your Dad my regards. Not surprised that he didn't remember me, after all I was only one of thousands of children that he must have had contact with, and he was only one person that I knew.
As regards to school camps, yes I went to two of them:
Staithes on the Yorkshire coast, and
Kessingland I think it was on the east Anglian coast, but not sure.

Cheers

Philip
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 19:56   #19
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Hi Paul,
Thanks for giving your Dad my regards. Not surprised that he didn't remember me, after all I was only one of thousands of children that he must have had contact with, and he was only one person that I knew.
As regards to school camps, yes I went to two of them:
Staithes on the Yorkshire coast, and
Kessingland I think it was on the east Anglian coast, but not sure.

Cheers

Philip
Hi Philip

I was at Kessingland. Romney Hythe to Dymchurch miniature railway ran past the camp. I can hear the whistle now. I was into trainspotting then - I must have been 7 or 8 so around 1954-5? I loved hanging over the Queens Road bridge and the one on Highams playing field near the cricket ground.

Trains were something in those days; even the "mile long" coal- pulling work horses, belching out dirty smoke and grey tinted steam, but more excitingly the dark green and polished brass of fast, named passenger engines. One regular was "Vernon" - I believe it was one of several Admirals. Didn't they look great on the viaduct?

I imagine you found Switzerland different in many ways.

All the best

Paul
Old 01-12-2015, 20:05   #20
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Am I correct in thinking that Roy became a pro cricketer? Did he play for any team other than Accrington ?
Hi Bob

I think Dad did do some sort of guest appearance near Blackpool if my recollection is anywhere near accurate. He did not enjoy its mention - he didn't come up with the goods as far as I can tell and I think he might have been dropped. No use asking him now but you might get to the truth as it may have been in your patch.

Cheers

Paul
Old 01-12-2015, 20:45   #21
Senior Member+

There may be somebody on where who is associated with the club and can come up with the info on his career. I saw him playing c1954
Old 11-12-2015, 09:22   #22

Quote:
Hi Philip

I was at Kessingland. Romney Hythe to Dymchurch miniature railway ran past the camp. I can hear the whistle now. I was into trainspotting then - I must have been 7 or 8 so around 1954-5? I loved hanging over the Queens Road bridge and the one on Highams playing field near the cricket ground.

Trains were something in those days; even the "mile long" coal- pulling work horses, belching out dirty smoke and grey tinted steam, but more excitingly the dark green and polished brass of fast, named passenger engines. One regular was "Vernon" - I believe it was one of several Admirals. Didn't they look great on the viaduct?

I imagine you found Switzerland different in many ways.

All the best

Paul
Hi Paul,

It would seem that our paths did cross at Kessingland, sorry but the only thing that I vividly remember were the salmon fish swimming upstream and leaping over the smaller types of waterfalls.
Train spotting:
A school friend of mine did a lot of train spotting as a kid, in fact I read somewhere that he still does, and is (I think) the president of the “Train Spotters Club” of Accrington & district. His name is Albert Wilkinson.
Switzerland:
After arriving on the 1st September 1967 it was indeed a cultural shock in some ways such as:
- The language. Not many people could/would speak English only Swiss German
- The longer working hours from a 40 hour per week to a 44 hour per week
- The resentment to “Foreigners” which you were made to feel on a regular basis
After a while however and after getting acclimatised things got a lot better:
- Got married 1968
- Our Daughter being born in 1972
- Speaking the language
- In around 1971 it became a 40 hour per week
- Climbing the ladder into a managerial position (After Sales Service Manager) on a worldwide basis
- Taking out Swiss nationality
-
All in all I wouldn’t contemplate ever moving away from here, in particular at my age (now 72).

A very merry Christmas and all the best to your family in 2016

Cheers

Philip
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:38   #23

How amazing,he was one of my teachers at Woodnook c.s. school,I loved his classes,he probably wouldn't remember me I was there from 1953 - 1957 & my name was Irene Davies,give him my regards please
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 19:35   #24
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE BAINBRIDGE View Post
How amazing,he was one of my teachers at Woodnook c.s. school,I loved his classes,he probably wouldn't remember me I was there from 1953 - 1957 & my name was Irene Davies,give him my regards please
I will give him your regards Irene. If he doesn't remember you he will be very pleased to hear you enjoyed his lessons. I will tell him also that you weren't too upset when Bob (Mr to you) Davies fell off his chair. I bet your desk lid popped up!

Hope you have a good Christmas and New Year.

Paul
Old 11-12-2015, 20:02   #25
Junior Member+

Thanks for the potted history Philip. Sounds like a difficult start in Switzerland but you obviously turned out awlreet, being a Manager an all.

I don't remember seeing any salmon whilst at the school camp but at 4 yrs younger than you we probably noticed different things.

Greetings to you and yours for Christmas and New Year. Good chance of snow I imagine!

Paul
Old 12-12-2015, 09:30   #26
Senior Member+

The Albert Wilkinson who Landhusweg mentions is an officer of the Blackburn Model Railway Society and chairman of the Hyndburn Local History Society. He is an authority of the history of Ossie. He wrote 'Oswaldtwistle Observed' which I published a few years ago. He is an Accrington Grammar School Old Boy.
Old 02-03-2017, 15:46   #27
Junior Member+

Quote:
Hi there Phillip - Yes Dad was at Woodnook until 1957 when he got a Deputy Headship in the Cotswolds at Bourton on the Water. After 3 years of that he became head of a new school in Tisbury near Salisbury. He is still alive and will talk to anyone about cricket, like it or not! Yes: Geography, History? (Social studies?) were his subjects.
Nice to chat.. sorry I didn't log on earlier.
I am thinking this is the same Mr Frankland who was my History teacher and lived at the time thornyholme road.
fireman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 18:54   #28
Full Member+

I think Paul has got his wires crossed. Dymchurch & Hythe are both in Kent. Kessingland is at Lowestoft, Suffolk.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 19:02   #29
Senior Member+

Sadly, Roy died about a year ago. His house was called Thorneyholme.
Old 02-03-2017, 19:23   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I think Paul has got his wires crossed. Dymchurch & Hythe are both in Kent. Kessingland is at Lowestoft, Suffolk.
They certainly are,went down yon with the school, and on the Romney,Hythe,@ Dymchurch railway, stayed St Marys Bay, defo no Kessingland down yon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..