Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2015, 14:05   #1
Senior Member+

Roy Frankland

I have lost contact with Roy Frankland, who will now be about 93yrs if still alive. He was a fine cricketer, playing for Accrington. His house in Somerset (?) was called 'Thorneyholme'. Anyone in touch or can give me news on him ?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2015, 21:09   #2
Junior Member+

Re: Roy Frankland

Hi Bob

I joined the Forum today and wondered if my father's cricketing past was mentioned. It seems you were hoping to contact him.

Both he and Mum have moved into residential care in their own small town in Tisbury, Wiltshire. They both have dementia and have been looked after for nearly a year now.

I have spoken to you on the phone about your Accy books. I bought one for him and he ordered a couple more. Actually you phoned me about Grammar School Old Boys. I was there for a few weeks only and didn't feel connected enough to sign up.

Dad will be thrilled that you were enquiring after him and I will pass on any message you care to send. You were correct- he is 93!

In just the last few days I have succumbed to nostalgia and started wondering about my Peel Park classmates. I was there 51-57 with the likes of David Lloyd, Jack Duckworth, Alan Erling Mitton. The latter has or had Old Boys links (President?)

From my first look at the forum (today) it appears that between you and Margaret Pilkington anything Accy can be tracked down!!

Best wishes
Paul

Last edited by Neil; 06-03-2017 at 13:00. Reason: removed email address
Paul Frankland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 07:00   #3
Senior Member+

My thanks for this Paul - email on its way. I will copy Alan Mitton into it. He did a year ( 1959) at the Tech before getting a free transfer to the Grammar School. Dvid LLoyd didn't attend
Old 22-11-2015, 21:22   #4
Full Member+

David Lloyd ? Wonder what happened to him ?
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 22:52   #5
Senior Member+

He's batting for Sky now. He is also batting for t'Stanley, one of several local chaps on the board.
Old 25-11-2015, 08:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frankland View Post
Hi Bob

I joined the Forum today and wondered if my father's cricketing past was mentioned. It seems you were hoping to contact him.

Both he and Mum have moved into residential care in their own small town in Tisbury, Wiltshire. They both have dementia and have been looked after for nearly a year now.

I have spoken to you on the phone about your Accy books. I bought one for him and he ordered a couple more. Actually you phoned me about Grammar School Old Boys. I was there for a few weeks only and didn't feel connected enough to sign up.

Dad will be thrilled that you were enquiring after him and I will pass on any message you care to send. You were correct- he is 93!

In just the last few days I have succumbed to nostalgia and started wondering about my Peel Park classmates. I was there 51-57 with the likes of David Lloyd, Jack Duckworth, Alan Erling Mitton. The latter has or had Old Boys links (President?)

From my first look at the forum (today) it appears that between you and Margaret Pilkington anything Accy can be tracked down!! Please send Dad's message to [email protected] He will be excited to hear from you.

Best wishes
Paul
Hi there Paul,
Just wondering if your Father was a teacher at Woodnook Secondry School between 1954 and 1959)? I remember having a Mr. Frankland teaching us geography, also taking part in learning us about cricket alonside Milton Suthers.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.

Now living in Switzerland since 1967
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 16:19   #7
Full Member+

I do know about 'Bumble' Bob. I was being flippant. interested to read Milton Suthers name mentioned. He came from Hapton like me.
Old 26-11-2015, 08:05   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I do know about 'Bumble' Bob. I was being flippant. interested to read Milton Suthers name mentioned. He came from Hapton like me.
Hi there Rowlf,
Yes Milton Suthers was our sports teacher at Woodnook CS. I could point to the house where he lived, but no longer sure of the name of the street, could have been Corporation street?

Cheers
Phil
Old 26-11-2015, 13:25   #9
Senior Member+

Please confirm that you have had an email from me about the Old Boys, Paul
Old 26-11-2015, 20:17   #10
Full Member+

No idea where he lived in later life Phil just remember him in Hapton.
Old 26-11-2015, 20:42   #11
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Hi there Paul,
Just wondering if your Father was a teacher at Woodnook Secondry School between 1954 and 1959)? I remember having a Mr. Frankland teaching us geography, also taking part in learning us about cricket alonside Milton Suthers.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Rd.

Now living in Switzerland since 1967
Hi there Phillip - Yes Dad was at Woodnook until 1957 when he got a Deputy Headship in the Cotswolds at Bourton on the Water. After 3 years of that he became head of a new school in Tisbury near Salisbury. He is still alive and will talk to anyone about cricket, like it or not! Yes: Geography, History? (Social studies?) were his subjects.
Nice to chat.. sorry I didn't log on earlier.
Old 26-11-2015, 21:09   #12
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Please confirm that you have had an email from me about the Old Boys, Paul
Yes Bob - message received, understood but not acknowledged- sorry.

Will probably see Dad this weekend. You wanted his details, school service record and neck size? Actually at 93 he's past riotous social gathering now.

I will show him the Members Register if I am permitted to print it? I have reconsidered my eligibility for joining and found it woefully lacking. Sorry and all that.

The Jack Duckworth I mentioned would have started in 57 at Peel Park as I did, he was very pally with David Lloyd and came from Avenue Parade area, I believe. He may not have transferred to Grammar School. Alan Mitton might know. He was always Erling on the school register as I remember!
Old 27-11-2015, 09:54   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frankland View Post
Hi there Phillip - Yes Dad was at Woodnook until 1957 when he got a Deputy Headship in the Cotswolds at Bourton on the Water. After 3 years of that he became head of a new school in Tisbury near Salisbury. He is still alive and will talk to anyone about cricket, like it or not! Yes: Geography, History? (Social studies?) were his subjects.
Nice to chat.. sorry I didn't log on earlier.
Hi Paul,
Please give him my very best regards, and tell him how much I enjoyed his lessons, although I'm not sure he will remember me.
Just as an insight I was very good at cricket myself.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Road
Old 27-11-2015, 11:01   #14
Junior Member+

Bob - I spotted my own error. I started at Peel Park in 1951 not 57 as stated earlier. I believe Jack Duckworth started at same time. Perhaps you are not too fussed if he didn't go to Accy Grammar. Its all a bit fuzzy now but good to stick to the facts where possible.
Old 27-11-2015, 11:06   #15
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Hi Paul,
Please give him my very best regards, and tell him how much I enjoyed his lessons, although I'm not sure he will remember me.
Just as an insight I was very good at cricket myself.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Late Belfield Road
Hi Philip (1 l only) I will pass on your kind thoughts and mention your cricketing prowess.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..