Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 20:14   #1
Senior Member+

Scully

Hi, trying to help someone.
Any SCULLY's out there, who may be connected to:-

"My greatgrandfather Michael Scully was born in Kilmovee, Co. Mayo in 1863. His mother died in childbirth - not sure if his birth or a later child,- and when his father married again, he was sent to England with "Uncle Paddy" - not sure who this was as his own father is declared as Patrick on Michael's marriage certificate. He was about 9 when he came to England but I can find no trace (as it's between censuses) of who he lived with till the age of 18 when he joined the army (I have these records). After leaving the army (but returning I think to the local militia) he married my great grandmother, Helena Saunders in Haslingden . He worked as an "iron moulder".

His own living children were all female and known to me, so any remaining Scullys, if related, must be distant cousins I suspect.
It would be great to find out who "Uncle Paddy" was and whether there are remaining family in Lancashire or in Co. Mayo"

Thanks
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-08-2011, 20:42   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Scully

atarah have family on late wifes side of that name in fact was talking to a michael,only a couple of weeks ago outside tesco, there were 2 sons in that family,dunno if its your tribe or not? both live in accy by the way. the late father of em was called Billy.

Last edited by cashman; 07-08-2011 at 20:44.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 20:49   #3
God Member

When I lived in Church(in the 90s) I knew a Bernard Scully who lived in Dill Hall area. I heard he moved to Ossy when his marriage broke up. He will be in his early 60s now.
All I know about him, which might provide a lead, is that he was active in the Territorials.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:21   #4
Senior Member+

Thanks for these replies, will pass the info on, as I receive it.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 21:47   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
When I lived in Church(in the 90s) I knew a Bernard Scully who lived in Dill Hall area. I heard he moved to Ossy when his marriage broke up. He will be in his early 60s now.
All I know about him, which might provide a lead, is that he was active in the Territorials.
bernard is the eldest of the 2 in my post, he was in the Territorials n is very happy wi a top lady has been fer many years, aint seen em fer a couple of months. think hes mid 60s though bout 18 months older n me.
Old 07-08-2011, 22:52   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Thanks for these replies, will pass the info on, as I receive it.
Bernard worked for the Council in the Town Hall. It was Bernard who did a lot of the work on setting up the Accy Pals stuff in the cellar of the Town Hall.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 22:55   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Bernard worked for the Council in the Town Hall. It was Bernard who did a lot of the work on setting up the Accy Pals stuff in the cellar of the Town Hall.
memorys not the greatest, but was he chauffer fer awhile bernard?
Old 07-08-2011, 23:20   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
memorys not the greatest, but was he chauffer fer awhile bernard?
I think he probably did do that as well. Since he retired from the Council he has also been involved with the prospects panel in Church. They've done a lot of environmental work around the canal.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I think he probably did do that as well. Since he retired from the Council he has also been involved with the prospects panel in Church. They've done a lot of environmental work around the canal.
Bernard, did Bernard Scully go to Holly Family, name rings a bell
Old 08-08-2011, 11:32   #10
mez
God Member

atarah, i know bernard very well he still lives dill hall way, will send you a pm ...mez x
Old 08-08-2011, 11:37   #11
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Seems no-one has been near that stuff for yonks, Bernard, and Bernard Scully was the only one who took any interest.

Not only Accrington Pals in there, I believe ... things like ration books and gas masks.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:17   #12
Senior Member+

PM me for Bernard Scully's address. He lives next door to a friend of mine. His house was for sale for a long time on Enfield street after he moved but I think it is finally sold. He still lives close by. I sold him a shed and it now has all sorts of army signs on it, I think he was with the Royal Engineers, rank of Staff Sergeant.

Hope you are not a debt collector.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:38   #13
mez
God Member

its sorted gremlin ive spoken to bernard & pm'd atarah.
Old 08-08-2011, 18:14   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez View Post
its sorted gremlin ive spoken to bernard & pm'd atarah.
OK, sorry it's no help.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..