Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-05-2012, 22:32   #1
Tex
Junior Member+

Shopfitters employees?

Any old shopfitter employees on here?
I started work there as an apprentice in 1968 as a joiner. I was the red long haired lad who had to wear a bob hat with my hair tucked in it to keep Ernie and Wilf happy. I went from the joinery shop under clifford up to working with Mel in the saw doctors shop. I left and returned a few times after gaining experience at other firms and finally ended back there just before the plug was pulled on the place. Just wondering where some of my old mates are now- Mel from the saw docs shop, Les off the cnc router, Jim Roberts, Fred off the spindle moulder, the 2 blokes from the drawer section and others that i cannot remember at the moment. Would like to hear from anyone who remembers me or any of the above named folk
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-05-2012, 09:00   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Shopfitters employees?

I worked at Shopfitters around that time, the Chap on the Drawers was Bert Race, I worked on Assembly under Cliff Whipp and Raymond Holt, Cliff later became a friend when we used the same pub in Haslingden, Sadly he died from Cancer around 1979
Old 15-05-2012, 19:35   #3

My pals dad worked there, Alan Crawshaw. Also my cousins husband David Shaw also worked there. Alan died many years ago
Old 15-05-2012, 19:40   #4
Senior Member+

My uncle Jack Turner worked at Shopfitters
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 18:45   #5

i didnt work at shopfitters, but remember ernie, as when i worked for a farmer in ossy, we used to pick shavings and sawdust up and offcuts of chipboard, i think we was down there every week especially in winter,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2012, 21:32   #6
Tex
Junior Member+

Thanks foe the feedback- i remember all the names mentioned. Being an apprentice there i was moved to different departments.I started on assembly of shop fittings to the maintenance dept with Bob Swindlehurst and Jim Starkey where we had to do some work above the tanks in the chrome dept, that was very scary but working in maintenance under Jack Stansfield saw us doing jobs at most of the directors homes including Mrs Waterhouses home. It opened my eyes on how the rich lived at that time. They were good times for me and i am sorry to see the old place being demolished as i have a lot of good memories from that place.
Old 17-05-2012, 09:16   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Thanks foe the feedback- i remember all the names mentioned. Being an apprentice there i was moved to different departments.I started on assembly of shop fittings to the maintenance dept with Bob Swindlehurst and Jim Starkey where we had to do some work above the tanks in the chrome dept, that was very scary but working in maintenance under Jack Stansfield saw us doing jobs at most of the directors homes including Mrs Waterhouses home. It opened my eyes on how the rich lived at that time. They were good times for me and i am sorry to see the old place being demolished as i have a lot of good memories from that place.
Ya that stream under Ma Waterhouses Living Room was something else the floor of course made out of toughened glass processed in the factory
Old 17-05-2012, 11:10   #8
Senior Member+

Three friends of mine worked there,
Alan Luke, driver (now in a nursing home, Jeff Hartley, driver and Peter Smithson joiner.

Alan gave me a photo not long ago of all the vans lined up with the driver and joiner stood next to them in white overalls. I will try to find it and post it if nobody beats me to it.
Old 17-05-2012, 18:14   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
Three friends of mine worked there,
Alan Luke, driver (now in a nursing home, Jeff Hartley, driver and Peter Smithson joiner.

Alan gave me a photo not long ago of all the vans lined up with the driver and joiner stood next to them in white overalls. I will try to find it and post it if nobody beats me to it.
There's a photo similar to that on OssyGoblins Web site Gremlin
Old 17-05-2012, 21:41   #10
Tex
Junior Member+

There are a good few pictures of Shopfitters on this site.
http://oswaldtwistle.shutterfly.com/
Old 17-05-2012, 21:53   #11
Tex
Junior Member+

I remember seeing and was amazed at all the new salesmen s cars being parked on the car park. I remember the vast number of them and thinking " I am in the wrong job here" This along with the new Big vans that came after this was amazing.
PS; The new car park - the concrete one in the yard i was a part of making that under Jack Stansfield.

I have to say though that i worked with asbestos sheets whilst in the maintenance dept, cutting it etc; and hope this is not a consequence of me being short of breath now.
Old 18-05-2012, 08:33   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
There are a good few pictures of Shopfitters on this site.
http://oswaldtwistle.shutterfly.com/
Ya seen these before Tex, two of the Fitters are Jimmy Lang and Len Shaw, and I think Trevor Haworth is also on, I must not have been in the Yard that day
Old 18-05-2012, 08:34   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I remember seeing and was amazed at all the new salesmen s cars being parked on the car park. I remember the vast number of them and thinking " I am in the wrong job here" This along with the new Big vans that came after this was amazing.
PS; The new car park - the concrete one in the yard i was a part of making that under Jack Stansfield.

I have to say though that i worked with asbestos sheets whilst in the maintenance dept, cutting it etc; and hope this is not a consequence of me being short of breath now.
Its certainly worth mentioning it to your Doc Tex
Old 22-05-2012, 12:10   #14
God Member

My uncle, Roy Mellor worked at Shopfitters for a long time - probably in the 70s/80s. Not sure of dates.
He lives in St Annes now but I can always pass messages on to him.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 17:48   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
My uncle, Roy Mellor worked at Shopfitters for a long time - probably in the 70s/80s. Not sure of dates.
He lives in St Annes now but I can always pass messages on to him.
That name rings a bell Gayle, what department did he work in?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..