Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2009, 10:49   #61
God Member

Re: St Christopher's

Fair enough, don't remember an english teacher with that name - the only ones I had were Mr Green & Alice (The Dragon)Thornton
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-02-2009, 09:48   #62
Senior Member+

Alice Thornton died last year, she was a resident at Woodlands nursing home at clayton.

Does anyone remember Gwen Park, or Sausage legs as we used to call her. Think she used to teach English literature up in the library room!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 19:58   #63
God Member

Miss Park was my form teacher in my first year at Chrissy's, also remember Mrs. Illic who taught history and Miss Kenyon (French).
Old 23-02-2009, 18:54   #64
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Miss Park was my form teacher in my first year at Chrissy's, also remember Mrs. Illic who taught history and Miss Kenyon (French).
They were all there when I went

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2009, 21:18   #65
God Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttonsmum View Post
They were all there when I went
Me too, Buttonsmum.

I left in 1994......what year did you leave?
Old 24-02-2009, 07:07   #66
God Member

They were all there for a while after I left then, I left in 1977
Old 24-02-2009, 18:12   #67
Resting In Peace

i was one of the first in the school, i left in 1961, three years after it opened.
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 19:17   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Me too, Buttonsmum.

I left in 1994......what year did you leave?
I was there from 1986 - 91

buttonsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2009, 09:07   #69
Senior Member+

The very first class i had on my first morning was taken by Mr Otter. I was very quiet and shy then, and when given a form to fill in i asked Mr Otter if it was ok to write using Black ink. To which Mr Otter replied..." You can Write in Blood for all i care Laddie!!"........Phew, welcome to secondary school!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2009, 22:41   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
The very first class i had on my first morning was taken by Mr Otter. I was very quiet and shy then, and when given a form to fill in i asked Mr Otter if it was ok to write using Black ink. To which Mr Otter replied..." You can Write in Blood for all i care Laddie!!"........Phew, welcome to secondary school!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Mr Otter was my maths teacher - he and his wife had two little girls and they were killed in a car crash around 1974 time - really sad. Then I had Mr Savage and eventually Mr Day - who was by far the best teacher. I also remember "sausage legs" but she never taught me -she was in charge of the library I remember. Mrs Illich was a bit of a one....always liked the lads and gave the girls a really hard time....she was always muching around in sling-backs and her cardigans over her shoulders...bit of a Diva back in those days!
Old 27-02-2009, 22:43   #71

Quote:
Are you sure you're no thinking of Miss Barnes, the DS teacher - never known so many lads be glad to be doing cookery

Miss Barnes...yeah all the lads used to fancy her like mad!!!

She was actually really nice though - bit the cotton socks of Mrs Pope for Domestic Science lessons thatīs for sure!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:40   #72
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
I recall Mr Jolleys giving us numerous lectures about crossing the road safely outside school. Then one day he came into Assembly with his foot all bandaged up and wearing a slipper....apparently someone had run over his foot!! Lol!!

Best Regards - Taggy
I met Mr Jolleys the other day on Aldi car park,he is still as bright as a button and remembered me from 1976.I don't know how old he is,he may be in his 80s.It's 33 years since i last saw him and he still has that aura that commands respect.He was pleased to see me,mind you, i never got on the wrong side of him,that would'nt have bee much fun.
kevj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 21:56   #73

well I left in 76 too.....went by the name of Ann Jackson. Now in Portugal (16yrs)....how about you?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:03   #74
Full Member+

Sorry Ann I was just re reading these,Went by Irene Kennnedy back then.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 16:24   #75

I think I do remember you back then Irene.....you had blonde/light brown shoulder length hair from memory. I know you were not in my set - so bit sketchy on details. U live in the USA now? I have lived last 16yrs in Portugal. Love it. Got up to "Godīs country" once last year - went to stay a few days with David Barrett in Whitworth (remember him?) and it was great to see the surrounding places like Mellor and Clitheroe but would not want to go back to accy (as much as it holds very dear memories for me).....

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..