Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-10-2010, 15:58   #16

Re: St Oswald's School-1940-1950

Hi JCB, was the teacher, whose name you don't remember, Mrs. Mc Gowan. She was my first teacher there when I started in 1946. My sister started school there but was 3 years younger than me and she was taught by Mrs. McGowan. You may have been in the same class as her. Mrs Edisford's son Jim was in the same class. When I returned to St Oswalds, from St. Annes, I don't remember if Mrs. McGowan was there or not. I think that Mrs. Mitchel was a senior school teacher. I remember the name but I was never taught by her.
Best regards T.
Tetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-10-2010, 18:06   #17
JCB

Hello Tetti , the name McGowan rings a bell .

I don't remember Jimmy Edsforth at St Oswald's , but he was in the same 11 plus class as me at St Anne's , and his mum was the teacher . Poor lad .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 13:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
I don't remember Jimmy Edsforth at St Oswald's , but he was in the same 11 plus class as me at St Anne's , and his mum was the teacher . Poor lad .
His mother always called him James - he was a year ahead of me at St Anne's & St Mary's Blackburn - and suddenly disappeared in the 3rd form - never know what happened to him!

I remember his mother screeching at him "James Edsforth - come here this instant!"

Mrs Edsforth was a good teacher though - got me through 11+ (and I've still got the bruises to prove it! )
musician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 18:01   #19
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by musician View Post
His mother always called him James - he was a year ahead of me at St Anne's & St Mary's Blackburn - and suddenly disappeared in the 3rd form - never know what happened to him!

I remember his mother screeching at him "James Edsforth - come here this instant!"

Mrs Edsforth was a good teacher though - got me through 11+ (and I've still got the bruises to prove it! )
Yes that wobbly cane , covered in sellotape to keep it in one piece . She must have had it since she began teaching .
Old 22-11-2010, 06:58   #20

No, Jaysay, it was his scowl and he used to stand behind my chair in class and just linger. He knew I was stuck with the geography and I think he enjoyd that so that when I handed in my efforts he could shout at me. Do they call that bullying these days? Loved my English, history, music, composition etc. I think he was just a pig and pigs tend to stick in your memory-well in mine, anyway.
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2010, 07:05   #21

I was taught by Miss Mitchell-music and drama-Shakespeare. Strangely I can still remember what I learned, and her face. She taught us to sing-'On a tree by a willow a little Tomtit, Sang willow tit willow tit willow. I've been watching out for those birds ever since but never come across any! I was a very imaginative child!
Old 22-11-2010, 07:06   #22

No, I hid it and even though we were kept in after school until somebody told, nobody dobbed me in-great!
Old 22-11-2010, 07:25   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Wallace View Post
Was your daddy named Bernard?
Thats right!
edsforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:29   #24

During the war years the older boys at St Oswald's had to "Dig For Victory" and we did our best to grow food which would later be sold at the school.

Anyone remember doing this? George Holden
gholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 19:01   #25

springhill council school did a similar thing but the whole class did the digging springhills garden was a patch taken off farmer nelsons farm field which after the war became richmond road
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 19:59   #26
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
springhill council school did a similar thing but the whole class did the digging springhills garden was a patch taken off farmer nelsons farm field which after the war became richmond road
I can remember Nelson's farm , where Slaidburn Drive is now .

Can you recall just where the patch you worked on was ?
Old 13-12-2010, 19:12   #27

springhill school garden was very nearly opposite the bottom of moorhouse avenue
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 06:43   #28

Hi JCB, No it wasn't Mr Brunseels cane but his manner which scared me. I had a way of dealing with unpleasant things like canes-I hid them! Nobody dobbed me in even under threat of being kept back in class. Apart from that, I loved my school days and cried the day I left! Wish I knew what happened to my old mates though.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:46   #29

I remember growing turnips, George. Lovely they were, too!
Old 11-01-2011, 14:15   #30

I have looked at this topic before but did not recognize any names I think I started in the infants when I was 3 or 4 but that could be wrong so that would be 1948 ish. I remember a Mr Bruynseels mentioned in Stephanie Wallaces post and I can remember Tony Lord who was the same class as I was but this has stretched my one grey cell to the limit
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..