Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04   #31

Re: St Oswald's School-1940-1950

Hi Tony, If you started school in '48, then you would only be 7 and I was leaving school. I loved St Oswald's - except for Mr Bruynseels - and cried the day I had to leave school! Did you? Steph.
Stephanie Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2011, 13:51   #32

Sorry about the confusion I created Stephanie I was refering to the infants I never went to the juniors I went to Saced heart juniors
Tony
Tony Ireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 17:12   #33
Junior Member+

Hi Stephanie the classmates I remember were John Wilson, Mick Smith, Mick Aspinall and Anne Cunningham
Bryrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2013, 20:44   #34

Philomena Williams ,Tony Flynn ,Patricia ? (now Jackson)I believe they all went to St Oswalds and all in the same class ....ring any bells ?
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 00:03   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie Wallace View Post
Hi Tony, If you started school in '48, then you would only be 7 and I was leaving school. I loved St Oswald's - except for Mr Bruynseels - and cried the day I had to leave school! Did you? Steph.
My Husband went to St Oswalds and left in 1946. Mr Herbert Marra was headmaster then, and the other male teacher was Mr Lawrence ( Gussy) Ireland, who taught Standard seven, and who later, was appointed head of Sacred Heart school. You will remember then, the school garden in Richmond Rd, which was run by Gussy, and the mothers used to come after school on a Friday afternoon to buy the produce. Three of the girls in my husbands class were Margaret Smith, Maureen Barrett and June Gardiner. Did you know any of those?. You may have know my husbands younger sister Margaret Mooney.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2013, 07:00   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
My Husband went to St Oswalds and left in 1946. Mr Herbert Marra was headmaster then, and the other male teacher was Mr Lawrence ( Gussy) Ireland, who taught Standard seven, and who later, was appointed head of Sacred Heart school. You will remember then, the school garden in Richmond Rd, which was run by Gussy, and the mothers used to come after school on a Friday afternoon to buy the produce. Three of the girls in my husbands class were Margaret Smith, Maureen Barrett and June Gardiner. Did you know any of those?. You may have know my husbands younger sister Margaret Mooney.
would Margaret Smith have been a slim lass? used to know one that was, much older n me, aint seen her fer years, assume shes no longer around.?
Old 30-05-2013, 07:43   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
would Margaret Smith have been a slim lass? used to know one that was, much older n me, aint seen her fer years, assume shes no longer around.?
The Smith family lived on Whalley Rd, Accrington side of the Bridge. He seems to think George was the eldest, a very good footballer, then Billy, Margaret, a good netball player, Kathleen and Tony. Their Mother was a terrific St Oswalds supporter and was there at every event, football, netball, swimming, you name it, you could hear her above anyone else cheering the the school on.
Old 30-05-2013, 07:54   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
He would not say she was slim, Cashman, but was very athletic and fit. Most of the Smiths were. She is the same age as my husband and would be 81 this year.
Old 30-05-2013, 09:19   #39
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
The Smith family lived on Whalley Rd, Accrington side of the Bridge. He seems to think George was the eldest, a very good footballer, then Billy, Margaret, a good netball player, Kathleen and Tony. Their Mother was a terrific St Oswalds supporter and was there at every event, football, netball, swimming, you name it, you could hear her above anyone else cheering the the school on.
Yeh thats the same family, Tony was a mate of mine, Died many years ago in Carlisle, Still see Kathleen n hubby around town, they always say hello, But Margaret i aint seen fer many years. The exact house they lived in on Whalley Rd, was the first one past the Whalley Rd Methodist Church,a short row wi n off license at Castle st end, was in it quite a few times in 60s.

Last edited by cashman; 30-05-2013 at 09:22.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 12:17   #40
Junior Member+

Quote:
He would not say she was slim, Cashman, but was very athletic and fit. Most of the Smiths were. She is the same age as my husband and would be 81 this year.
Does your better half remember Patricia Cooney from st Oswalds
wapthrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 12:54   #41

I left St Oswalds in1953 prior to that I was at St annes. Happy times.

Brian Arkley.
b arkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2014, 13:36   #42
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by b arkley View Post
I left St Oswalds in1953 prior to that I was at St annes. Happy times.

Brian Arkley.
Yes , happy days.I left 51/2
wapthrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 01:19   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by wapthrush View Post
Does your better half remember Patricia Cooney from st Oswalds
No, he remembers members of the Cooney family going to St Oswalds. His classmate friend Derek Kennedy,lived in Ranger St, and he thinks the Cooneys lived around the corner in Canning St. But it is nearly 70years since he left St Oswalds, and his memory is going a bit thin.
Old 01-01-2020, 14:46   #44

Anyone remember Bryan Gregory, born 1933? Any photos?
Dawn Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..