Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 23:19   #1

TA East Lancs Artillery photo

hopefully I ll get this right Im posting this because Im sure there will be some interest in it.
I was given this by Brian Flynn ,not a relative of mine He along with my granddad Charles Flynn, Ronnie Lang. and the triplets from Clayton are in the Photo any more names ......?
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-06-2012, 21:17   #2

Re: TA East Lancs Artillery photo

Bit by bit ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg East Lancs Territorials part 1.jpg (483.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg east lancs territorials part2.jpg (567.8 KB, 92 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 21:35   #3

with a little luck last three bits ....and I believe its the whealan Brother from Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg east lancs territorials part 3.jpg (519.6 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg east lancs territorials part 4.jpg (553.3 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg east lancs territorials part 5.jpg (543.5 KB, 63 views)
Old 04-06-2012, 21:41   #4

Any clues as to when and where taken AP? My dad was a terrier for a long time and was wireless op. for the artillery.
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 21:53   #5

Really dont have an answer to either question egg n chips I would guess 50's maybe 60.s
Old 04-06-2012, 22:28   #6

That would be about the right era, and one chap in the last frame does look familiar. I'll show my mum who is far more likely to recognise folk from this time.
Old 05-06-2012, 19:26   #7

Vincent O Rourke is on here but not my dad apparently. Definitely his bunch though. I seem to recall that they met at some place on Moscow Mill Street in the 60s.
Old 05-06-2012, 19:58   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accypete View Post
with a little luck last three bits ....and I believe its the whealan Brother from Clayton
They might not all be local men, the 556 H.A.A. Head Quarters were at Manchester.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 20:49   #9

Hi Retlaw,there is at least 6 local blokes there Charles Flynn,Ronnie Lang the whealan triplets,Vincent O Rourke according to egg n chips and Brian Flynn who gave me the copy. I believe he said that they "met" in Church.
Old 05-06-2012, 21:35   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by accypete View Post
Hi Retlaw,there is at least 6 local blokes there Charles Flynn,Ronnie Lang the whealan triplets,Vincent O Rourke according to egg n chips and Brian Flynn who gave me the copy. I believe he said that they "met" in Church.
In WW1 the Church Artillery did have a H.Q., and drill hall in Church, I was under the impression it had been long gone, there also use to be a drill hall in Moscow Mill St, and one at the end of Argyle St, the last two were infantry drill halls, the one on Argyle St, also had a 20 yard indoor rifle range.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 05-06-2012 at 21:35. Reason: spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:50   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
In WW1 the Church Artillery did have a H.Q., and drill hall in Church, I was under the impression it had been long gone, there also use to be a drill hall in Moscow Mill St, and one at the end of Argyle St, the last two were infantry drill halls, the one on Argyle St, also had a 20 yard indoor rifle range.
Retlaw.
Dunno if it is? But quite a few used to regard Moscow Mill St as in Church. Perhaps thats were the guy meant.Meself i think its Accy.
Old 06-06-2012, 14:33   #12

Drill hall was next to St Mary's school where car parks for ossy mills are now and the playground was called artillery st
JIMSLAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 18:26   #13
God Member

I think one person in the last photo could be either my dad or his brother, they both grew up in Church & looked very much alike, not sure if or when either of them were in the TA, unfortunately they both passed away some time ago but I'll ask my mum when she's back from her holidays at the weekend & she if she can shed some light on it
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2012, 13:36   #14
God Member

Unfortunately my mum doesn't know if either my dad or uncle were in the TA, if my dad was it must have been before 1952 which is when they met. If it is one of them she thinks it more likely to be his brother who was a couple of years older, their surname was O'Mara or Mara depending which sibling you knew (but thats another story )
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 19:01   #15

Can't help regarding the photograph, but I served in the terriers from late 1959 to early 1961. The unit was P Battery, 380 Light Regiment Royal Artillery, Territorial Army, and we met at the drill hall which fronted Moscow Mill Street. At the time there was an Artillery Street leading off Moscow Mill Street. We used to have 4.2in mortars. Around the time that I left the mortars were going and an anti-aircraft gun was being moved in as P and Q Batteries of the regiment were being amalgamated with (I think) 288 (2nd West Lancashire) LAA Regiment, still Royal Artillery, so the drill hall was in use then. We got paid 2/6d for attending a drill night, and 18/2d for attending on a Sunday.
accypete likes this.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charles flynn

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..