Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2007, 12:37   #31
Senior Member+

Re: The Lady with no hands

Do you know, I never knew she had married. Atarah
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2008, 00:24   #32
Junior Member+

My grandfather William Mawdsley was one of the policemen who attended this dreadful crime. My mother said that he found the childs hands under the chair. Sadly he died before I was born but I'm told he never got over the horror of that day. Until now I never knew the date of the crime so I intend to search Accrington Observer records.
joan walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 13:02   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan walsh View Post
My grandfather William Mawdsley was one of the policemen who attended this dreadful crime. My mother said that he found the childs hands under the chair. Sadly he died before I was born but I'm told he never got over the horror of that day. Until now I never knew the date of the crime so I intend to search Accrington Observer records.

There is already a press folder about this, at Accrington Library :

Just ask in the local studies section... Magpie
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 20:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Her step-father cut of the little girl's hands ( she was five at the time) the man had been falling out with the little girl's mother... he took the Agnes away from school and then in an act of total madness he cut of her hands , then tried to kill himself: the later he failed and got life in prision:

I am doing some research into the case... I am looking for stories and also if anyone's got any old pictures of victoria street Accrington that would show number 12:
i was brought up on victoria st i remember my parents talking bout girl wi no hands i also remwmber bout vthem talking bout a body of a girl who who was found under a bridge on nuttal st
SUSANFEDDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 19:58   #35
Junior Member+

This lady was my great grandmothers niece and i used to visit her often. I don't know a lot about the story as she didn't like talking about it. However that didn't stop her day to day life. She was an avid painter and produced some excellent pieces of art. She later went on to marry Arthur Weaver. They both passed away a number of years ago. Arthur while they lived at Ledger Court, Accrington and Agnes while residing at Whinside, Whalley Road. She was a lovely lady and has been sadly missed.
BLACKCATWHITEFEET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 12:52   #36

My neighbour used to be her neighbour when it happened. She met her again when she had grown up, she worked at a jewellers and Agnes came in with her fiancee to buy a ring - thats how she remembered her. It was very sad, but her strength of character shone through.
Nell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 20:08   #37
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKCATWHITEFEET View Post
This lady was my great grandmothers niece and i used to visit her often. I don't know a lot about the story as she didn't like talking about it. However that didn't stop her day to day life. She was an avid painter and produced some excellent pieces of art. She later went on to marry Arthur Weaver. They both passed away a number of years ago. Arthur while they lived at Ledger Court, Accrington and Agnes while residing at Whinside, Whalley Road. She was a lovely lady and has been sadly missed.

She was my dads cousin
s.pollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:03   #38
Junior Member+

Susan, My nana was brought up in Victoria St and said she used to walk to school with Agnes, she was older about 12 years old when it happened and she told me the story much later about what happened, She said she and Agnes wrote a xmas card to each other every year until her death. My nanas maiden name was Jenny Haworth and i think she said she lived at 5 Victoria St. I later after her death at 97yrs (my nana) researched and got copy of Accrington local paper of the year it occured to see how much of Nans memory was true and found out it was the truth. It had huge impact on nan as her mum died a few weeks after this happened as well.
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 14:51   #39
Senior Member+

Simon Entwistle the ghost story teller tells a tale of this when he does his talks on murders and mysteries
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 16:07   #40
God Member

Apart from the Lady with No Hands, do any of you lot remember the man with no face? Going back to the 1960's I would see him occaisionally walking along Blackburn Rd, dressed in a brownish raincoat and a trilby hat; he had no nose, no eyelids or eyebrows or lips. At some time, he'd been horribly burnt but because of his injuries it was impossible to put an age on him, so whether he was a vet. of WW1, 2 or a had suffered industrial injuries, I don't know.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 16:36   #41

I remember seeing him, but know nothing about him.
Cigarettes are vehicles to deliver nicotine into people's bloodstreams. Doctors are vehicles to deliver other drugs into people's bloodstreams. Most food in shops is full of salt and additives. There are no fruit and veg shops in Gobbinland. And we are still alive!

http://gobbinland.com/
Gobbiner17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2011, 17:11   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Apart from the Lady with No Hands, do any of you lot remember the man with no face? Going back to the 1960's I would see him occaisionally walking along Blackburn Rd, dressed in a brownish raincoat and a trilby hat; he had no nose, no eyelids or eyebrows or lips. At some time, he'd been horribly burnt but because of his injuries it was impossible to put an age on him, so whether he was a vet. of WW1, 2 or a had suffered industrial injuries, I don't know.
I remember him Tealeaf, always had a plaster where is nose was, always felt sorry for the guy
Old 21-06-2011, 17:35   #43
God Member

I should have added that his head was usually down. I wonder who he was?
Old 21-06-2011, 17:42   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
I should have added that his head was usually down. I wonder who he was?
I'll bet MargaretR will know
Old 21-06-2011, 17:46   #45
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I'll bet MargaretR will know
Yeah...she will probably say he was attacked in the Great Flying Saucer Invaison of Accy in 1936 (all records of which are still hidden from the public).

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..