Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-06-2011, 19:14   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: The Lady with no hands

We have discussed this gentleman before, but don't think we came to any conclusion :

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...s-42315-3.html

#52 onwards.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-06-2011, 20:03   #47
Super Moderator

My mum told me he'd been in some sort of industrial accident at Bulloughs, I think.

Last edited by Wynonie Harris; 21-06-2011 at 20:05.
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2011, 09:52   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
My mum told me he'd been in some sort of industrial accident at Bulloughs, I think.
Ya know Wyn I think my mum said he had some form of Cancer, but we're very unlikely to find out the truth now
Old 30-07-2011, 18:14   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Simon Entwistle the ghost story teller tells a tale of this when he does his talks on murders and mysteries

yes he does... however I think he shows people round the wrong house... because the house where this happend was knocked down many years ago.... and he talks about standing in the yard where it took place and so on.... I did email him to tell him his facts were wrong ( he never got back)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 19:21   #50

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. Journalists do it all the time.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 20:33   #51
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
yes he does... however I think he shows people round the wrong house... because the house where this happend was knocked down many years ago.... and he talks about standing in the yard where it took place and so on.... I did email him to tell him his facts were wrong ( he never got back)
He is pig ignorant, and a liar, I've challenged him on a couple of his tales about Accrington's past, like you I got no reply. There are still some that believe in Santa, and that the moon is made of Green Cheese.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-07-2011 at 20:35. Reason: Spelling
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 10:56   #52

With regard to the man with no face--I wonder if he was the same man that I knew.Iserved my time at Howard and Bulloughs just after the war and as part of my training I spent some time in the Turning Shop learning about Lathes etc. The man with no face worked there and I worked with him for a while.He used to chew Tobacco,I remember he cut me a plug off and told me to chew it as it would keep the smell of the coolant off. Like the young mug I was at the time I did as I was told. It was the most horrible thing that I ever tasted in my life.But I will always remember tha man with no face. Has as been said before he had no nose or lips and his eyes were just sockets, How he came by his injuries I never knew and I dont remember his name.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:30   #53
Bee
I am Banned

That is a very scary, dirty story.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 13:02   #54
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee View Post
That is a very scary, dirty story.
Please choose your words more carefully, Bee.
The most likely explanation is that his face was burned off in an aircraft or a tank during WW2,fighting for us. It happened to a lot of men, they didn't have any face protection from fire.
If you're refering to the lady, that's also a tragic story, not a dirty one.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 14:44   #55
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Please choose your words more carefully, Bee.
The most likely explanation is that his face was burned off in an aircraft or a tank during WW2,fighting for us. It happened to a lot of men, they didn't have any face protection from fire.
If you're refering to the lady, that's also a tragic story, not a dirty one.
Well Gordon Booth it's dirty by blood and razors (which was used to cut her hands off) and being scary by her hands being cut off.
Old 10-09-2011, 17:47   #56
Senior Member+

I too think that 'dirty' is an inappropriate word for this story. The word 'sad' comes to mind.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2011, 21:29   #57
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
does anyone remember or have any information on:

Agnes Rhodes Wildman... she lived in the Barnfield area of Accrington:

This is the lady that had her hands cut off by her step-father ( John Whalley) 1923 at the time they lived on Victoria Street Accrington:

Her mother was called Maud:

thank you:
That stupid moronic man. He should've been put on the electric chair for doing that . Also, the child should've been taken off him, he's not fit for being a stepdad .
Old 16-09-2011, 21:32   #58
Bee
I am Banned

Such a sad, scary story.
Old 22-10-2011, 12:29   #59
I am Banned

Groove thinks that if such an event happened today with the media coverage etc, the perpetrator would have been as notorious as Ian Huntley or Brady etc.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2011, 19:07   #60
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Apart from the Lady with No Hands, do any of you lot remember the man with no face? Going back to the 1960's I would see him occaisionally walking along Blackburn Rd, dressed in a brownish raincoat and a trilby hat; he had no nose, no eyelids or eyebrows or lips. At some time, he'd been horribly burnt but because of his injuries it was impossible to put an age on him, so whether he was a vet. of WW1, 2 or a had suffered industrial injuries, I don't know.
I remember this guy ... used to see him where the buses left for Clayton ... even earlier than the 60s 'cause I remember my mom giving me a good talking to for staring at him ...
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..