Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2010, 22:04   #1
Senior Member+

The Worthington Rigby Family

My grandfather was called Robert Worthington Rigby. he lived in Accrington 1877-1946. he had brothers Arthur,Doctor,Herbert, all named Worthington Rigby, and two sisters, Grace and Elizabeth hannah. The family lived in Marsden St. It appears likely that the lads got thjeir middle name becauise they were fathered by James Worthington, who at that time was not married to Mrs Rigby.

I have recently come across people who are related to me through the Wiorthington Rigbys, and wonder if there are any more folk in the area who are descended from the Rigbys.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-06-2012, 20:52   #2

Re: The Worthington Rigby Family

Hi Bob I found some Rigbys whilst checking out Guinanes they were living down Birmingham way I think the record said born Accrington. It was a while ago I saw the document cant even be surewhat document it was I ll see if i can find it again and post it.
accypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 21:08   #3
Senior Member+

Thanks Pete. Am very pleased to have this revitalised.
Old 03-06-2012, 22:05   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
My grandfather was called Robert Worthington Rigby. he lived in Accrington 1877-1946. he had brothers Arthur,Doctor,Herbert, all named Worthington Rigby, and two sisters, Grace and Elizabeth hannah. The family lived in Marsden St. It appears likely that the lads got thjeir middle name becauise they were fathered by James Worthington, who at that time was not married to Mrs Rigby.

I have recently come across people who are related to me through the Wiorthington Rigbys, and wonder if there are any more folk in the area who are descended from the Rigbys.
Only just sin this.
Pte. 15629. Robert Worthington RIGBY served in B Coy Accrington Pals, wounded July 1st 1916, leg amputated, discharged K.R. 392 para (xvi) 7-07-1917, was living at 48 Dowry St, in 1935. His father was J.H. Rigby.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:13   #5
Senior Member+

Thanks for this, Retlaw. There appears to be some doubt as to his father's name, which is why he has Worthington in it, though his mother was Rigby, nee Nutter. His reputed father was John Henry Worthington,who later married Mrs Rigby. It would be easy to see how his father's name would be recorded as Rigby if he had simply been asked 'What's your father's name?' RW Rigby died 17.1.46. Shall I find you a photo?
Old 04-06-2012, 11:35   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Thanks for this, Retlaw. There appears to be some doubt as to his father's name, which is why he has Worthington in it, though his mother was Rigby, nee Nutter. His reputed father was John Henry Worthington,who later married Mrs Rigby. It would be easy to see how his father's name would be recorded as Rigby if he had simply been asked 'What's your father's name?' RW Rigby died 17.1.46. Shall I find you a photo?
I dropped a clanger. Just read the article again, and it says brother J.H. Rigby, not father, the one who recived the news, that Robert was wounded, & in a French Hospital.
I have a picture of him, he always reminded me of you when I looked at it.
Gormless looking.

Last edited by Retlaw; 04-06-2012 at 11:38.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 13:53   #7
Senior Member+

Well there' one fer t'book,, as we have no knowledge of a brother JH, though one was Herbert, so may be him. In 1935 he was living with Rose Dobson at 48 Dowry St.
If you wakken up tomorrow wi broken windas - it'll be me.
Old 05-06-2012, 00:14   #8

Bob probley not related and not even sure if it is Accrington looks more like Warington to me , in the transcript it say Barrington lancs. When I first found it the transcript said Accrington.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1891EnglandCensus for Dobson.jpg (585.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:53   #9
Senior Member+

Thanks Pete. I think it says Birmingham, but as the chap is an accountant - unlikely. I appreciate you looking it up.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42   #10
Resting in Peace

My dad used to play in a dance band locally, in the late 40's/50's (in my memory), with a man called Jo. Rigby.

That's all I know though.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:16   #11
Senior Member+

Good to see that your spell in dock hasn't affected your memory K. and that you are back in your stride. None of our family have been musical, though my feet did hum a lot when I was younger.
Old 05-06-2012, 13:28   #12

Hi Bob the census was from Birmingham but the question is were Ribgy was born it looks like Accrington / Warrington their son was recorded as born in Birmingham wife recorded as Ireland.
Old 05-06-2012, 13:54   #13
Senior Member+

My apologies. I'll go back and take a looksee.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..