Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2013, 15:05   #1
Rest in Peace

Tommy

I have just spent an hour looking at old threads of Clayton-le-Moors and no where can I find a memory of a lad who lived top of Henry St who was said to have his leg or legs taken off with playing near the barrage balloon on the top of Whinney Hill, he could run on crutches faster than we could run.

His first name was Tommy can't remember his last name, doe's any of the old school on here know of him and what became of him.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-08-2013, 15:12   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Tommy

Not a tale with which I am familiar.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 15:37   #3
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Not a tale with which I am familiar.
I think you are too young Bob, if you get the time maybe you could check in the library when you are over. No hurry.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:46   #4
Senior Member+

An event like this would likely be recorded in the book 'An Accrington Chronology' by Rev Lanham, which covers reports in the Observer 1923-74. but I feel sure it isn't in. Somebody from Clayton will likely come up with it.
Old 26-08-2013, 01:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I have just spent an hour looking at old threads of Clayton-le-Moors and no where can I find a memory of a lad who lived top of Henry St who was said to have his leg or legs taken off with playing near the barrage balloon on the top of Whinney Hill, he could run on crutches faster than we could run.

His first name was Tommy can't remember his last name, doe's any of the old school on here know of him and what became of him.
His name was Tommy Townsend.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 09:57   #6
Rest in Peace

Thanks Irene, can you remember anything about him.
Old 26-08-2013, 10:16   #7

Just done a quick search and found this article where the accident was mentioned. Not much to go on though. BBC - WW2 People's War - Sandbags and Cigarette Cards
cashman likes this.
Old 26-08-2013, 11:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Thanks Irene, can you remember anything about him.
My husband did know him very well, but met him through a friend of his. His name was Volney Crosston who in later life, had the Crosston school of motoring in Oswaldtwistle. At that time Volney lived in Henry Street. Volney has since passed on. Tommy lost one leg, and you are right, he could run as fast as a lad with two legs. My husband lost contact when he was about 17.
He seems to think that Bert Townsend who played cricket for Enfield, was a family member or relative.
Old 26-08-2013, 11:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Irene View Post
My husband did know him very well, but met him through a friend of his. His name was Volney Crosston who in later life, had the Crosston school of motoring in Oswaldtwistle. At that time Volney lived in Henry Street. Volney has since passed on. Tommy lost one leg, and you are right, he could run as fast as a lad with two legs. My husband lost contact when he was about 17.
He seems to think that Bert Townsend who played cricket for Enfield, was a family member or relative.
Sorry, that is meant to read my husband did not know him very well.
Old 26-08-2013, 19:47   #10
Senior Member+

What year might this have been,Irene.? Good Night, Irene. I'll see you in my dreams.
Old 27-08-2013, 00:49   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob dobson View Post
what year might this have been,irene.? Good night, irene. I'll see you in my dreams.
1949-50
Old 27-08-2013, 04:26   #12

The townsend family lived in a big house off burnley road I think there were about six kids in the family, They might have had a farm.
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 08:32   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
The townsend family lived in a big house off burnley road I think there were about six kids in the family, They might have had a farm.
Alan, was that at the time of the accident, before, or after?. My husband had the impression that at one time he lived in Henry St close to the Crosston family.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:56   #14

Here is a photo Irene from St Mary's Clayton, one of the Townsend girls is at the front with the check dress on, cant remember her name. This was my brother Peters class with Paul Brenand, Anthony Sarsfield, Billy Hyland, Dorinda Nuttall, Gloria Battrik, Margaret Walsh, cant remember others.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buisness Card 036.jpg (454.5 KB, 40 views)
Alan Gilmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:40   #15
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gilmartin View Post
Here is a photo Irene from St Mary's Clayton, one of the Townsend girls is at the front with the check dress on, cant remember her name. This was my brother Peters class with Paul Brenand, Anthony Sarsfield, Billy Hyland, Dorinda Nuttall, Gloria Battrik, Margaret Walsh, cant remember others.
Would her name have been Susan Townsend.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..