Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2016, 11:37   #16

Re: WADE of Oswaldtwistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
I went to St Annes with a lad called Ian Wade, I'm pretty sure his dad was a butcher in Park Rd, but as you say that was over 60 years ago. Don't ask where I dug that from!

Ian

Jelly Baby

Last edited by jelly baby; 11-05-2016 at 11:43.
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-05-2016, 11:42   #17

Ian Wade was my cousin, sadly he passed away a few years ago, his brother Colin lives down south somewhere and his sister, Joan, lives in Spain. You are right about the butchers on Park Rd, it belonged to his dad, my uncle Harry. Ian was also a butcher and had a shop in Preston ( Longton I think).

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 15:13   #18
Senior Member+

Thanks Jelly Baby, sorry to hear Ian passed away, I went to the shop once in the mid 50s, possibly a birthday, can't remember. Ian certainly was a butcher,s lad and not surprising he took up the trade.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 12:49   #19
Junior Member+

Thanks all for your suggestions.

My Great Great Grandfather was Peter Wade, who was born in Accrington ca. 1858, the son of Peter Wade and Alice Holt.

In 1861 he was living with his parents and siblings in New Accrington.

I have not yet found him in the census of 1871.

He was a cotton weaver and married to Susan Annie Roberts, the daughter of William Roberts and Nanny Earnshaw, and lived on Gillies St., Accrington in 1881.

In 1891 he and his family were living at Stanley Street, Blackburn.

In 1901 they had moved to Larch St., Nelson.

His siblings were:

Mary Alice Wade (b.1846), married Ormerod Holden.
James (b. 1849)
Sarah Ellen (b. 1850 - d. 1853)
John (b. 1853)
Richard Thomas (b. 1856)
Betty Ann (b. 1861 - d. 1865)

Regards

Paul
CologneClaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 15:44   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
Thanks Jelly Baby, sorry to hear Ian passed away, I went to the shop once in the mid 50s, possibly a birthday, can't remember. Ian certainly was a butcher,s lad and not surprising he took up the trade.
Holy feces batperson ... I remember Ian well. Used to hang out with him ... along with Sid Wright, Ray Barker, Johnny Marsden, Donald Vaughn, and a bunch of other reprobates. Used to play three card brag on Sundays up at Donald's house in Ossy, just around the corner from the Black Dog. He had wheels too. An old van ... Austin A 35 or some shiite like that ... you could pile a whole bunch of guys into that vehicle. I remember going in that old beater to the Nelson Imperial to hear the Searchers just after the release of "Needles and Pins". Built like a brick shiitehouse Ian was. Sorry to hear he passed.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 19:22   #21
Senior Member+

Ian was only 9 or 10 when I knew him Eric but he was chubby lad even back then and Sid Wright is related to my wife, in a round about way, the world gets smaller.
Eric likes this.
Old 23-05-2016, 03:32   #22
Senior Member+

Hi Paul, I have your Wade family in the 1871 census living in New Accrington but no address which was annoying. It has Peter, Alice, James, John, Richard, and Peter, so they were still in Accrington in 1871. Regards, Bryan.
Old 23-05-2016, 04:45   #23
Senior Member+

Problem solved Paul. The family lived at 49 Plantation St Accrington in 1871 just two doors up from #45 where they lived in 1861, the problem is that in the 1871 census the name is read as Noade, punch in Peter Noade and you will see the error. Now I need a scotch!!!
Old 03-06-2016, 00:17   #24
Senior Member+

You're welcome Paul.
Old 24-03-2019, 09:15   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CologneClaret View Post
Hi all,

I have been researching my family history via the well known genealogy sites, the Lan-opc site, the Lancashire BMD site, British Newspaper Archives, Forces War Records and membership of various family history groups and have determined that the family of my grandmother (she passed away when my mum was 7 years old), who was raised in Barrowford, were from Oswaldtwistle - over several generations, it appears.

There seem to be a number of baptisms, marriages and burials at both St. James in Church, and Immanuel, Oswaldtwistle for the family.

Now I can use the various sites to determine most records but what I am really looking for are monumental inscriptions for both cemeteries. The family name is WADE.

Since I now live in Germany I am unfortunately reliant on web databases for most of my research and unable to visit the cemeteries, therefore MIs are at present my only way of determining family links.

Any help locating sets of MIs for both cemeteries would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Paul
Try https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Wade-8730
woosung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2019, 06:13   #26
Junior Member+

Smile Re: WADE of Oswaldtwistle

Thank you Woosung.

I have not yet found a direct connection, but expect there may be one and will research this path.

If there is a connection then it is going to be about 1800 or earlier.

Kind regards

Paul
CologneClaret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
immanuel, st. james, wade

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..