Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2016, 10:53   #1
Junior Member+

WADE of Oswaldtwistle

Hi all,

I have been researching my family history via the well known genealogy sites, the Lan-opc site, the Lancashire BMD site, British Newspaper Archives, Forces War Records and membership of various family history groups and have determined that the family of my grandmother (she passed away when my mum was 7 years old), who was raised in Barrowford, were from Oswaldtwistle - over several generations, it appears.

There seem to be a number of baptisms, marriages and burials at both St. James in Church, and Immanuel, Oswaldtwistle for the family.

Now I can use the various sites to determine most records but what I am really looking for are monumental inscriptions for both cemeteries. The family name is WADE.

Since I now live in Germany I am unfortunately reliant on web databases for most of my research and unable to visit the cemeteries, therefore MIs are at present my only way of determining family links.

Any help locating sets of MIs for both cemeteries would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Paul
CologneClaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-05-2016, 13:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: WADE of Oswaldtwistle

It's nice to have an intro first, before asking for help .
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 15:47   #3
Junior Member+

Apologies maxthecollie, all.

it was not my intention to not introduce myself and I accept your point completely, sorry!

Regards

CologneClaret
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 03-05-2016, 12:21   #4

I wonder if Wadey can assist with this, he's into all sorts so surely must know something about the Wade family..?
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:21   #5
Junior Member+

Thanks RainbowSix.
Old 06-05-2016, 14:06   #6
Senior Member+

I feel sure that the office at the cemetery on Burnley Rd will look at their database for you if you can email. The address is likely on the Hyndburn Borough Council website. They hold records for the other cemeteries, though probably not for the old churches such as Immanuel.........Check the Lancashire Family History Society's website. as it has published some MIs for local churches.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 18:32   #7

I have only just noticed this post, when I was attending Woodnook School, 1958/1962, there was a teacher there called Mr Wade, I think that he taught geography.
As far as I can recall, he was brought up in Church, which I always classed as being part of Oswaldtwistle, I seem to remember that his parents owned a leather shop near the Church traffic lights but I am going back over fifty years now, so the memory is not as good as it used to be.
Hope that this helps, Your's, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 20:25   #8
Beacon of light

Taddy your memory is not so dusty....I remember Mr Wade too...and also the details that you mention.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 00:29   #9
Senior Member+

I went to St Annes with a lad called Ian Wade, I'm pretty sure his dad was a butcher in Park Rd, but as you say that was over 60 years ago. Don't ask where I dug that from!
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 06:31   #10
JCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossy kid View Post
I went to St Annes with a lad called Ian Wade, I'm pretty sure his dad was a butcher in Park Rd, but as you say that was over 60 years ago. Don't ask where I dug that from!
Yes there was a Wade's butchers down that way . I think it may have been on Tremellen St .
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 13:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Taddy your memory is not so dusty....I remember Mr Wade too...and also the details that you mention.
Thanks Marge, It's good to know that the old grey matter is still in reasonable working order after three score year's and ten, (almost). Stay happy as always, Your's, Taddy.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:03   #12

There was a Methodist Local Preacher in the 1970's called Wade who was a teacher. I think his name was Jack and that he might have taught at Rhyddings. He lived in Clayton at that time. He had a son, David, who went to the Grammar School. David was a brilliant musician but I don't know if he pursued that as a career.
Lost in Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 20:20   #13
Senior Member+

David Wade is not a member of the Accrington Grammar School Old Boys Association. However, if you are in contact with him - I'd like to be
Old 09-05-2016, 20:24   #14
Senior Member+

There are three Wades in the local BT phone directory - one of them lives at 40 Tremellen St. It might be worthwhile for Cologne Claret to write a letter to these three. The directory is available on-line
Old 10-05-2016, 16:37   #15

George M Wade
40, Tremellen Street, Accrington, Lancashire, BB5 1SZ

wade in BB5 1SZ - Residential Numbers - The Phone Book from BT

The link provides a number for him too.

He was possibly born in 1937 and married in 1961 (Edna E Shaw)
Parents possibly:
Joseph W & Winifred Astin
accybill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
immanuel, st. james, wade

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..