Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-06-2017, 10:24   #1
Junior Member+

Walmsley's My missing links

If anyone can help with my missing links please, that would be great.
I think 2 brothers married 2 sisters and I think they were brothers to my line but as I can't find the parents I'm stuck?
Thomas Walmersley married Ann Booth 30th June 1744 St Mary Bury
Joseph Walmersley married Rachel Booth 11th April 1748 St Mary Bury
(they both lived at Boaredge in Birtle Bury, with their families, they were potters and farmers)
My line
James Walmesley married Ann Hampson 29th August 1751 St Mary Bury (I call these Grandparents,even thou its many times)
They had a daughter Ann born at Boaredge, others born in Birtle, but place not named)
My James Walmesley (their son) was born 5th December 1762, abode Castle Hill Bury, (which is very close to Boaredge)
In 1760's they moved to Cliviger and Pot Oven farm, as they were also a family of potters and farmers.
My other confusion is which is the oldest line of the Walmsley Clan was it Rough Hey Oswaldtwistle or Showley Hall?
I thought Sir Thomas Judge Walmsley of Dunkenhalgh, his grandad also Thomas Walmsley was from Showley?
But I came across info that it was his brother Richard about 1602?
The Radcliffes owned Showley Manor, Knight Gilbert Gerrard aquired it, ( how ? it didn't say bought)
In 1602 it was sold to John LIster (a gent), who immeadiateley conveyed it to Richard Walmsley (Brother of the Judge)
Transfered ownership, not saying selling it?
Did he just give it? Why?
(very wierd, and where their parents and grandparents living there as tennants of Radcliffe or Gerrard then?)

I found a George Walmsley of Rough Hey Accrington ( I presume its Oswaldtwistle?) born mid 1600's
He married Isabella Duxbury. 1685
Also an Issac Walmsley of Altham Accrington, born about mid 1000's He married Ann Ingham, about 1690
They were parents of Barnard who went to Liverpool.
Where these 2 brothers?
My line was possibly the Rough Hey line, as I read there was a pottery there, so maybe that's were they learned their trade?
Plus my next line down was Isabella Walmsley born at pot oven.

I found a james Walmsley in 1547 lord derby Bury rentals
At Blue Bell Inn 9houses, potworks, outbuildings, yard and garden, house and Belle meadow( hence pub name I presume?)
If on original site a Bluebell pub closed only in last 5 - 10 years, half way between Bury and Birtle.
Also a William Walmsley (same time) cottage and garden, long meadow and 40 acres.
I've not been able to find out where this was, or if they were brothers?
But over the years, Walmsley's were in the surrounding areas, Bury, Birtle and Rochdale, possible descendants?
I also came across aGeorge and Thomas Walmsley tenants of Cowhouses Accrington in 1527, amongst others.
Could these have been brothers of James and William?
Not knowing the area, Is the Cowhouses area close to Rough Hey, and is Altham?
Close enough to make them relatives?
Another confusing info I came across
In 1365 a dispute over guardianship of underage heir Henry Walmsley, between lord of Bury Sir Roger Pilkington (his wife was Alice Nee Bury)
And Rector of Bury John Radcliffe.
Alice's mum was Margery Nee Radcliffe (it says she tended to use than raather than De Bury)
So was it Mum against Daughter?
But Alice's dad and brother, both called Henry De Bury were supposed to have died?
But for a few years Margery was disputing on behalf of her son Henry (father un named)
She could have married again, a man called Walmsley?
There was supposed to be a family in the area using the name. So the boy would be Alice's step btother, and if she and her husband had control of the child, they had the land.
Such wealing and dealing, that went on.
In 1381 there was A Henry Walmsley and wife living in Harwood, (this could have been the same one, again not sure if this is in the area?)
I know its asking an awful lot, sorry for my first post.
But if you don't ask, you'll never know.
Someone may have the Thomas or Joseph at Boaredge pottery as their ancestors, and have the parents names?
suebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-06-2017, 15:04   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Walmsley's My missing links

I suggest that you join the Lancashire Family History Society, even if for one month only.You can align yourself with a particular branch - say Hyndburn or Bury and attend meetings anywhere. You can join the on-line forum - members of it will jump at the chance of helping you. See the website and try out the facility on the hom,e page which allows you to make contact with member4s who are already researching Walmsleys Your name and interests appear in the quarterly magazine. A group of keen members meets every Thursday afternoon and one Saturday each month in The Straits, Osssie.... Rough Hey is off Fielding Lane, Ossie. higher up than The Plough pub
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 10:37   #3
Junior Member+

Thank you Bob,
sorry for delay in reply,
my excuses are
1 . problems with parents to deal with
2 . problems gaining access, due to forgetting which name I use on the site, as it turns out. how silly?

I will try the Lancs site when I get chance, Thank you.
suebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2017, 14:52   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebeth View Post
Thank you Bob,
sorry for delay in reply,
my excuses are
1 . problems with parents to deal with
2 . problems gaining access, due to forgetting which name I use on the site, as it turns out. how silly?

I will try the Lancs site when I get chance, Thank you.

On Saturday 9th September there will be a family history fair held in Stretford, Manchester. Postcode M32 9AJ I will be attending with my stock of Lancashire local and family history books. Message me your email address for details
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..