Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-03-2012, 18:08   #1

War memorials

I am trying to trace if one of the Accrington Pals KIA is remembered on any of the local war memorials or on a church plaque. He came from Spring hill rd, so not sure which memorial he might be on. He may be a family friend and my mum mentioned an intruiging story reference a picture from the great war.

Does anyone have a list of all the memorials or church plaques in the area so I could visit them and see if he is there.

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-03-2012, 19:13   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: War memorials

If yeh got a name,someone may know
Old 26-03-2012, 19:17   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karateman View Post
I am trying to trace if one of the Accrington Pals KIA is remembered on any of the local war memorials or on a church plaque. He came from Spring hill rd, so not sure which memorial he might be on. He may be a family friend and my mum mentioned an intruiging story reference a picture from the great war.

Does anyone have a list of all the memorials or church plaques in the area so I could visit them and see if he is there.

Phil
Phil, take a look at this...

UK National Inventory of War Memorials
Old 26-03-2012, 19:59   #4
I am Banned

Quote:

Phil
Yes, but several church plaques now no longer exist, some of the metal ones have been stolen, others destroyed when the buildings were bulldozed, or became a mosque. Also there are 169 names missing from the War Memorials in Greater Accrington, 94 of those are missing from Accrington's War Memorial including 6 Pals. There were other memorials and Rolls of honour, every pub, club institution, school, & work place etc had some sort of scroll.
Five men of the 11th East Lancs lived in Spring Hill Rd.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-03-2012 at 20:02.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 20:07   #5
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Phil, take a look at this...

UK National Inventory of War Memorials
The one it identifies as in Accrington Library, is the one I made for William Turner in 2005. Bill had a brass plaque made for it, it used to be on the wall in the Library next to the big picture of A Coy.
Retlaw

Last edited by Retlaw; 26-03-2012 at 20:11.
Old 27-03-2012, 18:19   #6

Just found out he is commemorated on the Oak Hill memorial. Thanks for the info everybody..

One thing...where would 7 Spring Hill Rd have been. The first house on the left hand bottom corner looking upwards is numbered 9.

It wasn't the pub was it on the opposite corner?

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 27-03-2012 at 18:22.
Old 27-03-2012, 18:30   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Just found out he is commemorated on the Oak Hill memorial. Thanks for the info everybody..

One thing...where would 7 Spring Hill Rd have been. The first house on the left hand bottom corner looking upwards is numbered 9.

It wasn't the pub was it on the opposite corner?

Phil
The only Accrington Pal on Accy War Memorial, lived at 61 Spring Hill Rd.
Retlaw
Old 27-03-2012, 22:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
The only Accrington Pal on Accy War Memorial, lived at 61 Spring Hill Rd.
Retlaw
The soldier was called Jim H Pilkington and was with the Scottish Rifles or Cameronians and lived at 7 spring Hill Rd Accringon. He was killed on 26th April 1917. He was remembered in the Observer on 26th May 1917.
His name is on Oak Hill memorial and the Arras Memorial.

I would think that makes him a PAL doesn't it?

I read the term Accrington PAL is a bit of a misnomer...

I have a couple of his posessions that his relatives may be interested in.....

Phil
Old 27-03-2012, 23:28   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
The soldier was called Jim H Pilkington and was with the Scottish Rifles or Cameronians and lived at 7 spring Hill Rd Accringon. He was killed on 26th April 1917. He was remembered in the Observer on 26th May 1917.
His name is on Oak Hill memorial and the Arras Memorial.

I would think that makes him a PAL doesn't it?

I read the term Accrington PAL is a bit of a misnomer...

I have a couple of his posessions that his relatives may be interested in.....

Phil
No the Accrington Pals were the 11th (Service Battalion) East Lancashire Regiment.
To be an Accrington Pal, you would have to enlist in or be transferred into the 11th Battalion East Lancs, before July 1st 1916, after that date they could no longer be called Accrington Pals, there were'nt enough survivors.
James Holt Pilkington served as Private 28437 in the 10th Cameronians, killed in Action 26th Apl 1917.
There is no family info on C.W.G. There is a memoriam notice in the Accy Observer in April 1918, from family at 7 Spring Hill Rd, not found in 1919 or 1920.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 27-03-2012 at 23:30.
Old 28-03-2012, 15:24   #10

Quote:
No the Accrington Pals were the 11th (Service Battalion) East Lancashire Regiment.
To be an Accrington Pal, you would have to enlist in or be transferred into the 11th Battalion East Lancs, before July 1st 1916, after that date they could no longer be called Accrington Pals, there were'nt enough survivors.
James Holt Pilkington served as Private 28437 in the 10th Cameronians, killed in Action 26th Apl 1917.
There is no family info on C.W.G. There is a memoriam notice in the Accy Observer in April 1918, from family at 7 Spring Hill Rd, not found in 1919 or 1920.
Retlaw.

Thanks Walter for the info. His number is actually 18437 by the way.

I was talking to my next door neighbour Jean Harrison and she says she is a good friend of yours...

She is now on the case looking for Jims relatives.....

Phil
Old 28-03-2012, 17:32   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks Walter for the info. His number is actually 18437 by the way.

I was talking to my next door neighbour Jean Harrison and she says she is a good friend of yours...

She is now on the case looking for Jims relatives.....

Phil
Correct wth his number, I'm blaming my flaming Grandson, swopping keys round again. James had 1 brother & 7 Sisters, parents were Peter & Annie.
Here's his medal Card.
Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pilkington. James H. 18347-S.R...jpg (223.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-03-2012 at 17:39.
Old 29-03-2012, 17:52   #12

Thanks walter

Phil
Old 29-03-2012, 19:48   #13

Anyone know if the observer is available online for info back in the early war years? Dont want to take anything away from you stalwarts who actually go into the Library and research....but when you work full time its difficult finding the time....

Phil

Last edited by Karateman; 29-03-2012 at 19:51.
Old 29-03-2012, 19:54   #14

Quote:
Correct wth his number, I'm blaming my flaming Grandson, swopping keys round again. James had 1 brother & 7 Sisters, parents were Peter & Annie.
Here's his medal Card.
Retlaw.
He also had a wife and child I believe so maybe relatives still around somewhere.....

Phil
Old 29-03-2012, 20:43   #15
I am Banned

Quote:
He also had a wife and child I believe so maybe relatives still around somewhere.....

Phil
Found a Memoriam notice in the April, 1919 Accy Observer. attached.
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010096a.JPG (62.9 KB, 22 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..