Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2011, 07:53   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Whittaker's of Dowry Street Works

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinman221 View Post
Was speaking to mr finch last night at the spar i was asking how is gout was Thanks cashy i remember it happening when i was but a lad
That's where I saw him last, he was hobbling back to his car.
Previous to that we were sat at the same table at a Wedding, he kept us amused as usual.

When he left the Accrington Fire Station he went to Chorley as a fire person instructor, he has been retired a while now.
Old 14-09-2011, 08:50   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Why does the name HAWORTH spring to my mind? Maybe I am just imagining it Bob? I bet Cath, ex Librarian, would help you on that.
It's not Mr Haworth from Whalley - he is a Lightfoot. I've already tried Cath - no joy. I have found a couple of people oin the Family History Society's Yahoo forum who have an interest in Whittakers. I have asked the Family History Soc if there is any member who is researching the Whittakers, but had no definite response as yet.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 18:52   #18

Hi Bob Doug kellett here enjoyed the reunion very much sent some pictures to Jeff Taylor taken during the evening if you would like the same email me [email protected] and will send them to you.
xaccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 19:23   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaccy View Post
Hi Bob Doug kellett here enjoyed the reunion very much sent some pictures to Jeff Taylor taken during the evening if you would like the same email me [email protected] and will send them to you.
Reyt. Will do, though I suspect that you have popsted on the wrong thread
Old 20-07-2012, 16:13   #20

I was looking for something else about Whittakers and found this! My dad - Tom Barnes - was a senior clerk at the Dowry Street works until he died aged 49 in 1969. The firm made brick making machinery. I now live in North Yorkshire and was at Ravenscar yesterday where there was a Whittakers plant making bricks for the "town that never was". I wondered if they were the same Whittakers? We found a NORI brick there years ago
Frank T likes this.
Gill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 22:21   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Me dad worked yon from after the war until around 72, when ill health knackered him up, Don't think the firm oer yon would be the same one,as well as brick making stuff, they made stuff fer the Mining Industry,
Frank T likes this.
Old 21-07-2012, 16:26   #22
Senior Member+

Two clues might guide Gill as to whether this was Whittakers of Dowry Streeet - Was it made by C.(for Christopher) Whittaker & Co Ltd? Did it have the wording 'New Era' on it. If yes to either of these - it's ours.
I think it unluikely that there would have been another Whitakers involved in brick making,although there was a company called Thomas Whittaker , Canal foundry,. Church which was a rival founded by an unsettled member of the founding family. It went bankrupt. I will enquire as to a Ravenscar connection.
Old 21-07-2012, 17:56   #23

Thanks Bob - we need to go searching for bricks again properly; I imagine the most likely place for Accrington brick was the chimney attached to the works. We know that they made bricks for Ravenscar from the local shale waste which seemed to go soft as clay when wet, after processing to retrieve the alum. It was quite an effective industrial circular process using the waste for bricks to build the town
Gill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2012, 14:33   #24

From being a nipper I recall the name Mary Howarth. My Great Grandad's sister maried a Whittaker (he worked at an "ironworks" most likely Whittaker's,) but I don't know if her Whittaker was connected with the owners.

Our Whittakers also married a Westall, another name I remember from my childhood.
Old 28-02-2013, 16:26   #25
Junior Member+

Thomas Whittaker of C. Whittaker and Co. was my great, great, great grandfather. One of his son's, James, married Mary Jane Haworth from Oswaldtwistle. They had five children:- James Haworth, Mary A (Marie), James, Jane and Gladys Ellen.
Jane Whittaker was my grandmother. Jane married Donald Ryden and their daughter, Pat, was my mother. She married Harry Crossley.
I believe Mary Jane Haworth's parents were John Haworth and Jane (nee Tattersall).
My mother held some shares in C Whittaker and Co. and I remember attending a shareholders' meeting with her around 1972. The meeting was chaired by Norman Whittaker wearing a bright blue blazer with brass buttons. He announced that the company could no longer carry on and proposed it be voluntarily wound up. The shareholders put their
hands up and approved the motion - and Whittaker's was no more.
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:58   #26
Junior Member+

My great grandfather, James Whittaker (son of Thomas Whittaker of C. Whittaker and Co.) married Mary Jane Haworth. Her parents were John Haworth and Jane (nee Tattersall) from Oswaldtwistle. I believe John Haworth's parents were Dennis Haworth (b 1802) and Ellen (nee Grimshaw).
Christopher Whittaker (James's brother) married Catherine Haworth. Catherine's father was also a John Haworth from Oswaldtwistle but his wife was Elizabeth (don't know her maiden name). Catherine Haworth and Mary Jane Haworth may have been related in some way but they were definitely not sisters. Catherine Whittaker was the mother of Norman and Hugh Allen Whittaker. She pre-deceased her husband, Christopher, who later married a Polly Mitchell in 1905 and had two further children, Duncan and Irene.
Old 28-02-2013, 20:26   #27
Senior Member+

There's a book to be written about the various Whittakers and Haworths of Accrington & Ossie. Inter-marrying and combining together in business.The odd fall-out. How they linked up with Haslingden branches and played their parts in various industries and organisations such as the Co-op. At present, there are at least half a dozen people collecting family history data.
Old 28-02-2013, 21:36   #28
Junior Member+

Happy to contribute anything I already have researched.
Old 27-11-2013, 16:17   #29

I am related to CJ Whittaker through his wife a HAWORTH of Oswaldtwistle.

IS there any way I could get a copy of the book?
Bejantine78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 20:24   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bejantine78 View Post
I am related to CJ Whittaker through his wife a HAWORTH of Oswaldtwistle.

IS there any way I could get a copy of the book?
The book has not been written - I meant that there was enough material to write one.

One of the Whittakers patented a method of treating sewerage, and for a while, Accrington was a world leader in this field. Other corporations sent parties to inspect the Copy Nook plant.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..