Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2013, 09:49   #31

Re: Whittaker's of Dowry Street Works

There is definitely a book if not a TV series on this family!

I am naturally more 'into' the HAWORTH side, but the story has the lot...

Religious persecution, rags to riches and back again, company wheeling and dealing, disinheritings, sewage treatment, tomatoes, Jack the Ripper, Indian railways, Spies (or maybe not), Nazis, Scott of the Antarctic, Edward Elgar and any other composer and musician you can think of in the 19th Century, Ruth Ellis (last woman hanged in the UK), fraud, railway building in Sussex, infanticide, improvements in public health, mayors and public servants, multi-millionaire bankers, War time exploits, ocean voyages, National scandals, the Pulitzer prize, sweet factories, brick factories, chemical factories, Henry Wood and the Proms...

How long have you got?
Bejantine78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2013, 10:24   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

So if definitely a book, do yeh happen to know its name? or Author?
Old 28-11-2013, 16:54   #33
Senior Member+

For clarification - there isn't a book. Just the material for somebody to write one.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2018, 09:00   #34

Hello all
I have found this old thread while researching family history so thanks for some useful information. I am related to Margaret Catterall, 3rd wife of Thomas Whittaker and would be grateful for any information on the family, I would love to see a picture of them and in particular Janie Whittaker one of their daughters.

I have found the article on Janie possess of Accrington on the internet so that have provided a lot of INFO and some images. I have also found out that Janie and Margaret her Mum were suffragettes, an interesting family!

My ancestors were poor shoe makers from Croston and used to get clothes sent from their wealthy relatives, so nothing to eat but really well dressed!
Anyway, great local information, thank you forum.
Amanda
Aj Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 12:20   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have asked Accrington Library and the Family History Society if anyone is researching the branch of Whittakers who ran the works in Dowry St. In 1892, Thomas was mayor of Accrington and was a 'mover and shaker' in the town.I have something to tell them about Thomas, and will be giving something about him to the library. I am aware of a chap in Whalley who is interested in the various Whittakers who had businesses in the town a century ago, but don't know his name.
Hi
I am researching my family Tree and my relative is Christopher Whittaker who is the brother of Thomas and founder of the Dowry St Works. Would love to find out more about him and share information. Thanks
JWhittaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:17   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhittaker View Post
Hi
I am researching my family Tree and my relative is Christopher Whittaker who is the brother of Thomas and founder of the Dowry St Works. Would love to find out more about him and share information. Thanks
I have two Whittaker families in my tree, they seem to be remotely related and possibly connected to the Dowry St Works. FYI they are

Christopher - not found
Thomas - #910 - b1843, Hapton to George & Mary
Thomas - #916 - b1880, Accrington to Edmund & Mary Ann Westall
Tomas Henry - #1024 - b1864, Accrington to Robert & Elizabeth

The # numbers are my RootsMagic record numbers. In the unlikely event that some of these fit in with your research let me know and I can provide further details.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:52   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhittaker View Post
Hi
Send me a private message with your email address ( or just send it to me - [email protected]) and I will contact someone who may be related to you and knowledgeable on the Whittaker family.

This thread has been going for 8 years.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 12:24   #38

I remember Whittakers in Dowry St, as I worked in the office there. I also remember Tom Barnes as we used to walk to and from work together with Eric Roscoe. The company secretary was Jim Barrett (Mrs.Barrett had the sweet shop at the corner of Broadway and Whalley Rd) works manager was Ernie Millington and two draughtsmen were David Clark ( Mrs. Clark taught me at Rhyddings school) and Maurice Brindle who sadly died suddenly in about 1967/68. I also recall a lot of the workforce names and even the clock numbers of some of them. I left Whittakers in 1970 to join the Lancashire Constabulary until my retirement in 1999.
Frank T is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..