Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2014, 13:34   #1

Wood/Ashworth/Gorrell/Bottomley

I am trying to find my cousins (male), born during the 1940's, their father Harry Wood (born c1910) and mother Ruby Ashworth born (c1913) I think they married c 1938. I have struggled a lot to find their two sons,(my cousins) born and raised in Accrington... so I am now seeing if I can track through their mother's side.... Ruby Ashworth had two sisters, Miriam born c1911 and Irene born c1916 Miriam I think married Arthur Bottomley and Irene I think married Jack Gorrell... all from Accrington or Great Harwood areas.. I think Irene had a daughter Maureen Gorrell born 1945 and she may have married a Wolstenholme.. I know this is a long shot...but I'll try anything !!
AccyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-12-2014, 20:32   #2

Re: Wood/Ashworth/Gorrell/Bottomley

Found three male names born Accrington, mothers name Ashworth.
1940 Malcolm Wood
1944 Raymond Bentley Wood
1947 Ian Wood
Does any of these mean anything ?
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 09:14   #3
Senior Member+

In 1952 directory, Wood was surname of residents at 67 Sultan St...11 Lime Rd...11 Beech Grove....17 Aitken St....14 Arncliffe Ave...9 Garfield St...5 Sandy Lane NOne were Harry

Lots of Ashworths

No Bottomleys or Gorrells.
heh jimmy likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2014, 22:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acstan View Post
Found three male names born Accrington, mothers name Ashworth.
1940 Malcolm Wood
1944 Raymond Bentley Wood
1947 Ian Wood
Does any of these mean anything ?
thank you so much... I know that Raymond Bentley Wood is not related...but I have not been able to trace Malcolm and Ian, they could be my relations.. it is a common name unfortunately...but maybe someone will know them.. I did find a Malcolm Wood in the Accrington area directory..but didn't get any response when I wrote... thanks for your help
Old 28-12-2014, 22:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
In 1952 directory, Wood was surname of residents at 67 Sultan St...11 Lime Rd...11 Beech Grove....17 Aitken St....14 Arncliffe Ave...9 Garfield St...5 Sandy Lane NOne were Harry

Lots of Ashworths

No Bottomleys or Gorrells.
thank you Bob... I think they lived Bold Street or near there.. I only met them once around mid fifties..at their house... so I not sure why he doesn't show up... On the 1911 census he is called Harry..1 year old.. they lived 87 Spencer Street then... thanks for your help
Old 28-12-2014, 22:40   #6

Found marriage Haslingden 1967
Malcolm Wood = Rita Livesey
Acstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2014, 13:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acstan View Post
Found marriage Haslingden 1967
Malcolm Wood = Rita Livesey
sounds promising...thank you Acstan
Old 29-12-2014, 18:14   #8
Senior Member+

1952 67,( not 87) . Sultan St was a chip shop owned by Christopher Wood. Mr Tattersall lived 87
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..