Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2013, 11:12   #1
Junior Member+

Woodnook Secondary

Hi Everybody
I'm big into genealogy and have tons of info on my family tree's but the other day I was thinking about my time at Woodnook Secondary school 1961-1965 and I could hardly remember any of my classmates so help me out here as my memory is fading fast where you at school in those years. I live in Ireland now so I see nothing to jog my memory. Barry Talbot is my name hope someone can remember.
baz270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-04-2013, 17:40   #2

Re: Woodnook Secondary

Yea I remember you.....went to Woodnook same time. You lived in the fireman's houses on Manchester rd. Going back even further I lived at the back of you in the 50's up Huncoat, I lived in Sudal ave.....we used to knock around with each other. Other names to remember, Peter Ollet..Barry Oliver..Gillian Coulson...Julie Harris...Trevor Waring
steve50brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 14:38   #3

I went to Woodnook from 1958 to 1963,remember Barry Oliver and Peter Ollet well but not from school,I have lived in Huncoat since 1954 and remember Barry lived on Burnley Lane next door to his cousins Les, Derek and Wendy Oldham. Peter lived on what was known as "The Coop Row", on Station Road.
When I first attended Huncoat school at the age of seven, the teacher supposedly said "this is a new starter called Michael Hadfield, he is a tad shy so I want you all to look after him; I have been known as Taddy ever since, to those who are left from my own age group. (sadly diminishing).
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 17:10   #4

Hi taddy I went wood nook till 1966 when I moved to midlands used to get school bus from within grove always a bit banters bettween huncoat ears and within grove lads I remember a lad called jack Wilson he lived past the level crossing can't think of the street now my name his stuart Nelson any info
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 18:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosegrove View Post
Hi taddy I went wood nook till 1966 when I moved to midlands used to get school bus from within grove always a bit banters bettween huncoat ears and within grove lads I remember a lad called jack Wilson he lived past the level crossing can't think of the street now my name his stuart Nelson any info
Hello Stuart, Yes I remember Jack, You are right he lived, as we used to say, "over the lines" on Sudell Avenue. It used to be an estate of council houses until they were sold off by Hynburn council, I'm afraid I don't have any more information on him, lost track many years ago. Yours Taddy
Old 06-04-2014, 18:29   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
I went to Woodnook from 1958 to 1963,remember Barry Oliver and Peter Ollet well but not from school,I have lived in Huncoat since 1954 and remember Barry lived on Burnley Lane next door to his cousins Les, Derek and Wendy Oldham. Peter lived on what was known as "The Coop Row", on Station Road.
When I first attended Huncoat school at the age of seven, the teacher supposedly said "this is a new starter called Michael Hadfield, he is a tad shy so I want you all to look after him; I have been known as Taddy ever since, to those who are left from my own age group. (sadly diminishing).
I lived in Huncoat till '57....I remember Benny's sweet shop and getting the telegraph pink from newsagents for footie results. Other names I remember, Martin Whittaker, Bridget Swales, Jimmy Bowker, Sheila Goulding, Ray Bicombe. I used to play alot in Bluebell woods and up towards the canal. It sounds like when I started at Woodnook in '61 you were almost in your final year. I too played in the football team
Old 06-04-2014, 18:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve50brown View Post
I lived in Huncoat till '57....I remember Benny's sweet shop and getting the telegraph pink from newsagents for footie results. Other names I remember, Martin Whittaker, Bridget Swales, Jimmy Bowker, Sheila Goulding, Ray Bicombe. I used to play alot in Bluebell woods and up towards the canal. It sounds like when I started at Woodnook in '61 you were almost in your final year. I too played in the football team
I remember them all, except for Sheila Golding, (unless she was Bill Goldings daughter who lived on Within Grove estate) I worked with Bill at the Redac Brickyard.
I knew Ray Biscomes older brothers Billy and Peter very well, Bridget became a State Registered Nurse, Jimmy Bowker I believe joined the Guards regiment and was killed by a kick from one of their horses. Good to hear from you. Yours Taddy
Old 07-04-2014, 07:52   #8
Senior Member+

Young lads can be cruel in giving nicknames. One Huncoat lad I remember was called
'Juggy', as his name was Titterington.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:06   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve50brown View Post
Sorry Steve, the lad who was killed by a horse in the guards was Brian Bowker not Jimmy Bowker. Brian was a mate of mine as schoolboys, he lived O,er lines as we used to say, on Enfield Road, Yours Taddy
Old 07-04-2014, 12:17   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Hello Stuart, Yes I remember Jack, You are right he lived, as we used to say, "over the lines" on Sudell Avenue. It used to be an estate of council houses until they were sold off by Hynburn council, I'm afraid I don't have any more information on him, lost track many years ago. Yours Taddy
Jack Wilson is a blast from the past, once hitched to Sunderland wi Jack fer a football match. Think he eventually joined the Army? also he had a sister called Helen, was a nice lass, aint seen any of em since early 70s though.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:30   #11
Beacon of light

I remember Brian Bowker. He was in my class at school.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 13:15   #12

Brian and Jimmy Bowker lived opposite to us in Sudall ave Huncoat. My older sister Maureen (Brown) also went to Woodnook around the same time as Brian. I seem to recall Jimmy being a councillor or summat.
Getting back to Woodnook, the best teachers for me were Mrs Ashcroft (music)Mr Wade and Mr Gale (science)
Old 07-04-2014, 14:37   #13

Hi Taddy.....Sheila Goulding lived on Sudall ave, and had an older sister who used to knock around with my older sister. Bridget Swales lived at the top of Fish lane, opposite the school.I vaguely remember one year '56/'57 the school did The Student Prince and me and Bridget had to kiss on stage.......got ribbed for weeks, and the rumour was we were going steady. We would have been about 6/7yrs old. I also remember Peter Ollet had a chicken coop (probable his fathers) at the side of Fish lane. Used to give me eggs now and then
Old 07-04-2014, 16:52   #14

Taddy or Steve I remember when at wood nook a girl from huncoat was killed by a shot gun in a accident I think her name was swindle hurst my be wrong you might remember it being huncoaters it would have been early 1960s
rosegrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 17:57   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Taddy or Steve I remember when at wood nook a girl from huncoat was killed by a shot gun in a accident I think her name was swindle hurst my be wrong you might remember it being huncoaters it would have been early 1960s
Rosalyn she was called was a friend of mine, twas the day she drew her first weeks wage from Ewbank. Still call round her grave occasionally.She lived up in the village, Her mum n dad used to have the chippy just above Melbourne St in Accy, when she was a baby.It was mid 60s actually, as i left school 63 n Ros was a few years younger than me, Was also Friday 13th, so have always had a thing about that date since.

Last edited by cashman; 07-04-2014 at 18:03.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..