Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2015, 10:42   #106
Beacon of light

Re: Woodnook St Mary's

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
I Hope this works!
Those children are of my era, but I can't say I remember any of them.
I went to Woodnook infants...a stride or two further up the hill.
Shaz61 likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-05-2015, 16:54   #107

Hi there Margaret,
I never did find out why some of us went to Woodnook St Marys and others went to Woodnook Infant School!
It seems that at one point all of us came together at St Marys, at least I’m thinking so because some of the people on the photo went with me at St Marys!
I got this photo by e-mail from Allan Handley a couple of years ago, and the same discussion cropped up, however not to despair, the photo shows some people that I do remember:
Back row: Second from the left Malcolm Waddington. Second from the left the late Gerald Scott.
Middle row: First from the right Allan Handley.
Front row: Second from the left Bert Binns. Second from the right Raymond Woodcock.
Sitting down at the front: David Astin.

All the others elude me.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodnook-Infant School-1953.jpg (498.5 KB, 56 views)
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 17:23   #108
Beacon of light

Thank you for the picture Philip.......None of those faces are familiar either.
I do not remember very much about infant school...my only memory is getting to school a few minutes late and finding the door locked......and standing in the playground crying.
One of the secondary school girls found me and took me into school......the only other memories are of being made to have a lie down in the afternoons, playing with cowrie shells and having a coloured umbrella on my coat peg......names of other children elude me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 19:16   #109
Senior Member+

Philip Kenyon mentions Malcolm Waddington. I have been out of touch with Malcolm for some years, but his daughter lives near me. Malcolm's wife, Ann Harwood came from Accrington. She died some years ago. He re-married and lives in Shropshire (?). A talented guitarist ,Malcolm has an aunt in Acc or Church.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:24   #110

Hi Bob,
Should you be in touch with Malcolm again, please give him my regards. It might help if you tell him a couple of things in case he can't remember me:
- Lived at no. 5 Belfield Rd
- Was in Christ Church Scouts up until being approx. 17
- After woodnook St Marys went to Woodnook Secondry Modern.

Cheers

Philip
Old 11-05-2015, 13:52   #111
Senior Member+

I will contact his daughter. Ta
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 16:52   #112

Hi There,
I mentioned one person (Bert Binna) on the above photo. A funny thing occurred some years back.
I was in my local restaurant in Stein am Rhein Switzerland, when some English guys came into the pub taking a table at the back, and starting to discuss a certain matter. They then called over the owner who couldn’t speak any English whatsoever. She then brought one of the guys over to my table, who asked the following:
“Which is the fastest way home by plane, from where we were at that moment” This he asked me in a broad Lancashire accent. I asked if he was from anywhere near Blackburn and he replied Oswaldtwistle! At that moment I looked at one of the guys around the table that they were occupying, and asked if that was Bert Binns, he replied yes, that is Herbert Binns, whom he called over. I then told Bert who I was and that we went to school together. This didn’t register with him at this moment. I then carried on and told where he lived in Accrington, and what his sister was called etc. He then slowly looked at me like I was a ghost!
It was a shame that they had to leave in order to catch a train, but we did have a bit of a conversation, realizing that we hadn’t seen one another for over thirty years or so.
It would seem they were working on a contract job just over the border in Germany, and one of the team’s wife was very ill back in the UK, hence the question of the fastest flying way home, whether from Stuttgart or Zurich.

All in all a very small world!

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Old 13-05-2015, 19:30   #113

Hi Philip,did you go to Woodnook sec; your names familiar? I attended both schools I left senior school in "57" my name was Irene Davies
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 19:38   #114

Trevor is a very good artist,he tutors on painting holidays
Old 13-05-2015, 19:51   #115

Does anyone remember Mr.Pickles?
Old 14-05-2015, 08:27   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE BAINBRIDGE View Post
Hi Philip,did you go to Woodnook sec; your names familiar? I attended both schools I left senior school in "57" my name was Irene Davies
Hi There Irene,
Yes I attended both Woodnook St Marys and Woodnook Secondary school.

St Marys from 1951 until 1955
Woodnook Secondary from 1955 until 1959

I must admit that the name Iren Davies rings a bell but can’t put a picture with it, sorry.

Cheers
Old 14-05-2015, 08:30   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE BAINBRIDGE View Post
Does anyone remember Mr.Pickles?
Hi again Irene,
Yes I remember him very well (H.K. Pickles). I think later on in life he or his wife had a Restaurant/Coffee shop on Blackburn Rd. But I never got around to visiting them.

Cheers

Philip
Old 31-05-2015, 20:55   #118

Hi Philip,I used to pal out with Irene Howard,I remember you.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:12   #119

Hi Irene,

Sorry but the years do go by. As mentioned previously the name Irene Davies does ring a bell, but cannot put a face to it, the same applies to Irene Howard.
Can you give me some sort of clue i.e.
- Where did you live?
- Where did you go dancing?
- Did you favour one particular pub?
- Any more names of friends that you had might also help.

Cheers

Philip
Old 06-06-2015, 21:08   #120

Hi Philip,I lived in Ormerod Street,went dancing at Christ Church,Knowmere Street,& sometimes the "Con"; if you look on the school photo that I put on of Woodnook Sec; I'm sat second from the right as you look at it,I moved down south when I was eighteen.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..