Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Lost Friends / Family
Donate! Join Today

Lost Friends / Family Lost friends from the Accrington area? Maybe someone here can help?

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2015, 12:30   #121
Junior Member+

Re: Woodnook St Mary's

[QUOTE=Valerie Smith2;1041809]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
That would be Fred Lingard, his lad Kevin went there the same time as me 63-70 also some names from the past-
Derek Power
George Maguire
Rob Clarke
Brian Ashworth
Philip Edge
Christopher Whittaker
and many more.

My husband Andrew Smith was the football teams goalkeeper and he has a photograph with all the team on it, winning the football shield.
Kevin Lingard was holding the shield in the middle and Mr.E. Barton was the teacher. We will attempt to scan the photo and add to the link if anyone wishes to see it.

Valerie Smith
]
Hi Val
Would love a copy of the picture you mentioned as I was also in that team who won the shield.
I remember receiving a medal as well and played right back.

Kev Lingard
Derek Power
and myself Trevor Owen
Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-06-2015, 07:31   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE BAINBRIDGE View Post
Hi Philip,I lived in Ormerod Street,went dancing at Christ Church,Knowmere Street,& sometimes the "Con"; if you look on the school photo that I put on of Woodnook Sec; I'm sat second from the right as you look at it,I moved down south when I was eighteen.
Hi Irene,
Now after seeing your photo I do remember you, in particular as you mentioned:
Dancing at Christ Church
Knowlmere Street
Living in Ormerod Street

The two places mentioned for dancing were also my places.
I also had a friend who lived on Ormerod Street, his Name was John Faulkner. Can you remember him?

Cheers

Philip
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 18:43   #123

Hello Phillip,the names familiar but I can't put a face to him
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 08:07   #124

I went to Woodnook for a short time before going to Hollins Mr Hargreaves was the headmaster at Hyndburn Park & yes was very vicious remember he used to make us all gather in the hall to watch slipperings/canings remember a girl called Chrissy? Glenys Eborall, Susan Street would be around 65 to 69.
Accy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 18:19   #125

HI, I know it's been a while since anyone posted anything about Woodnook St Marys but I've only just joined. I was a pupil there from about 1968 - 1972 The Headmaster was Mr Barton, his wife was a chiropodist who had a shop on King Street, my favourite teacher was Mr Whalley, I remember being terrified of Mrs Aspden who used to throw chalk and board dusters. My name was Christine Mckie, I don't remember many people, but here are some, Derek Edge who lived across the street and had a brother Philip I think. Lorraine Taylor who lived up Belfield Rd and passed her eleven plus and went to the girls High School, Christine Marsden who worked in Accrington last time I saw her. There were two other brothers always in trouble haha they went to Hollins High with me. I have really fond memories of my time there but I have no photos at all. If anyone has any I would be very grateful if they could post them. I remember seeing the old photographs of classes from years gone by but don't remember ever having one done of our class. Does anyone know if Mr Whalley is still with us, he was always lovely to me.
Samantha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 18:26   #126

Wow yes, I remember all those names now, along with Derek and Philip Edge, Lorraine Taylor, Christine Marsden. I was Christine Mckie. I remember a very sad thing, a little girl with long hair who was about 8 when I was 10 who died of Lukeamia. I couldn't read music but I played the recorder ( a plastic one, mum couldn't afford a wooden one) and they used to put sheets up with drawings on off all the covered up notes then I could play. I also remember Mr Bartons dad and granddad I thinks pictures up as they were past Headteachers.
Samantha1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14   #127

Just found this old photo from 1950.
The only people that I can recognise are the following:
Back row, second from the left the late Les Gibson.
Back row, second from the right myself (Philip Kenyon)
Middle row, third from the right Elsie Sutton
Sat down on the left Gordon Whittaker

Maybe someone out there can recognise some more of the then school friends?

Cheers

Last edited by landhusweg; 12-04-2016 at 09:18.
Old 14-04-2016, 07:47   #128

Having trouble with the picture in the previous message. It doesn't expand when you klick on it. Can somebody help?

Cheers

Last edited by landhusweg; 14-04-2016 at 07:53.
Old 22-10-2016, 08:45   #129
Junior Member+

Janet baron ????
pollykimbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 16:13   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Having trouble with the picture in the previous message. It doesn't expand when you klick on it. Can somebody help?

Cheers
Just found out from Margaret Pilkington how to load the thumb nail photos.
So let's have another go.

Cheers

Philip Kenyon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Woodnook-St-Marys.jpg (228.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 22-07-2017, 17:06   #131
Beacon of light

Really pleased to see that you have achieved success.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 18:18   #132

I went there between 1949-53 Mr.Barton was the head,lovely man Mr.Pickles was one of the teachers,very handsome,I can't remember the names of the other teachers.
IRENE BAINBRIDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 15:19   #133

The other teachers (apart from Mr. Barton and Mr. Pickles) as far as I can remember were:
Miss Lang
Miss Dent
Miss ????? was the arts teacher where we were taught how to make a globus from Papermash! Anyone remember?

Cheers
Philip Kenyon
Old 17-06-2020, 11:14   #134

Came across this when browsing, I was a pupil of Christ Church late 70's early 80's. I have many fond memories of going to that school. Reading the older posts I remember Mrs Duxbury very fondly, she was the caretaker at the time I was and I always felt she was like another mother. One memory I had was going to school in the summer without a coat, come home time it was raining, so she made up some waterproofs with some bin bags. I remember Mr Whalley but the image in my head doesn't match the picture I've seen. I can't remember the name of the first teacher when I started but I rememebr Mrs Mayers (I think that was her name) when I went up a year. The class was in the new bit when you walked pass the canteen and up the stairs. I remember the strange banked slope we always slide down and the dividing wall between the 2 main play areas. Had lots of fun climbing along and laying in the gaps between. When you came in through the main gates I remember the stairs in front going down to the boiler, I always thought there was a dragon down there!! Later I was there when we moved up to Hudson Street, the old Hollins school. In my last year at Woodnook, I went to Hollins proper as a taster and was that an eye opener!, there were 3 fights in that one day, but I went to a secondary school in Blackburn instead. I was always surprised how small the Woodnook site is compared to the new Hollins and how everyone fit. Maybe it merged but I have no idea. I also remember how well polished the floor was in the main hall at Christ Church was, I used to run and slide on the floor, but was told off incase of splinters. I remember the walk to school from Richmond Hill Street. We walked past the corner shop which was run by a lady called Joyce I think. Sometimes when she had new stock we would help her take stuff into teh shop from her car and she would give us sweets as a reward. I was there when Mrs Neild left and Mr Bibby took over as head. Doing a search I found Mrs Neild passed away in 2009 RIP. Anyway I moved away from Accrington a long time ago but my childhood growing up there was a very special and fun time. I went back around 1992, so many things were famialr yet so different.
chifuwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 04:37   #135

Sorry for the late reply.
Yes that is me. speech impediment in those days ;-)
Me and James Dukes were friends, even going to Hollins together.
not sure where he is now
Garry_Lao is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..