Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted
Donate! Join Today

Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted If you've got owt to sell stick it in 'ere.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 11:51   #1
God Member

in need of a 50cc scooter/moped

i'm in need of a scooter just to get me to work and back, i currently pay £51 a month for my bus pass so i reckon in the long run a scooter might save me a quid or two, if anyone knows of anyone selling one for a few hundred quid please could they let me know

thankya
Old 07-10-2013, 13:08   #2
Full Member+

Re: in need of a 50cc scooter/moped

Please think twice about it. I used to work at Mullards Blackburn and I got a moped just for work from Accrington to BBurn ,Mon - Fri. I wore bright yellow from head to foot ( I was nick named the canary ) yet a taxi still managed to knock me down,fortunately , he was just setting off , I was very lucky Ineeded ,stitches in my elbow and had a bone broken in my wrist so was in pot for three month . I returned to using the bus . It safer and drier.
Greeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 15:42   #3
God Member

thankyou for that greeny
Old 07-10-2013, 15:43   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i'm in need of a scooter just to get me to work and back, i currently pay £51 a month for my bus pass so i reckon in the long run a scooter might save me a quid or two, if anyone knows of anyone selling one for a few hundred quid please could they let me know

thankya
Don't be daft.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 18:39   #5
Senior Member+

flashy, scooters aren't very stable, you'll come off quite easily as I found to my cost( 11 times).
Also it's coming winter, you won't believe how cold and wet you can get. That's before worrying about ice on the roads and thoughtless drivers!
Can you not ask around the hospital(put a request on the notice board?) asking if anyone with a car travels your way and would they share? Probably wouldn't cost you much.
cashman and Greeny like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 20:44   #6

as someone who`s ridden a vespa for many years up and down the country and abroad I`d say get one.if you get the correct clothing you won`t get cold and wet,true about ice though,it can be a bi dodgy.the main thing is..........to treat ALL four wheeled road users as complete idiots
flashy likes this.
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 20:57   #7
God Member

no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing

I rode all year round when I was a pup, including on inches of snow. its not as bad as most make out. dont get me wrong, 4wheels is better especially heated seats etc

i wold look to see if there isn;t a car share option, thast probably the best solution here and helps both of you, you get a nice warm lift, they get a reduced petrol bill
cashman likes this.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 22:15   #8
Senior Member+

I very much doubt car sharing would be an option with the way they do the rotas up there. My Mrs shifts are different all the time, sometimes 8-5, 9-5, 8-6, 9-6, 8-1,9-1 etc. will be even worse on the wards as most are open 24hrs. And you don`t work with the same people all the time.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:56   #9
God Member

i am currently doing 13 hour days, not everyday, most of the nurses change shift half way through the day and there is only one hca who does a long shift, the others do half days then change so a car share isnt possible, i live not too far away from the hospital but its all uphill, i could walk the mile and a half up but i dont wanna be knackered before doing a long day, scoot i would love to be able to afford a vespa, live those bikes, but it will have to be something cheaper for now...the roads are quiet around the times i start and finish so traffic isnt a problem, bikes have lights in the dark right?

Last edited by flashy; 08-10-2013 at 08:58.
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:53   #10
Senior Member+

Have you tried loot or gumtree?
Old 08-10-2013, 14:47   #11
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Have you tried loot or gumtree?
How many MPG would she get out of commuting on them?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 15:06   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How many MPG would she get out of commuting on them?
None, but might help her find what she is looking for.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-m...hes/1034216110

Last edited by gpick24; 08-10-2013 at 15:11. Reason: added link
Old 08-10-2013, 15:14   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 20:16   #14

Unhappy Re: in need of a 50cc scooter/moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
i am currently doing 13 hour days, not everyday, most of the nurses change shift half way through the day and there is only one hca who does a long shift, the others do half days then change so a car share isnt possible, i live not too far away from the hospital but its all uphill, i could walk the mile and a half up but i dont wanna be knackered before doing a long day, scoot i would love to be able to afford a vespa, live those bikes, but it will have to be something cheaper for now...the roads are quiet around the times i start and finish so traffic isnt a problem, bikes have lights in the dark right?
at least with a scooter you`ll be able to park easier than with a car.my girlfriend works in pts office and starts at 10,so by he time she gets there she sometimes struggles to park even though she pays for the privilege
scoot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 21:49   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot66 View Post
at least with a scooter you`ll be able to park easier than with a car.my girlfriend works in pts office and starts at 10,so by he time she gets there she sometimes struggles to park even though she pays for the privilege
My mrs has same problem when starting at 9, she has to go in early to get on staff car park. There has been times she`s had to pay for the none-staff car park, but I believe if you keep the ticket you can claim that money back, a bit of faffing about though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..