Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted
Donate! Join Today

Buy, Sell n Swap & Wanted If you've got owt to sell stick it in 'ere.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-09-2008, 19:46   #1
Fra

Wanted - Fireplace Hearth

I've got a nice surround but I need some kind of hearth for it to stand on. The surround is quite wide so ideally it should be about 60" wide. Marble would be good but would consider something else.
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-09-2008, 22:56   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Wanted - Fireplace Hearth

your not after much are you?... its hardly the type of thing you have lying about in a garage..
a 60 inch possibly marble hearth (what else is there apart from granite and/or limestone?).. mdf would be no good if its a gas fire thats in place or going to be put in - but if its an electric fire then you fine..although an mdf hearth is what it is..cheap and nasty looking...and its mdf!!!

and what type of material is the surround? and what type of back panel do you have if any?? - bearing in mind you may want the back panel and your new hearth to match?? and to look ok with your newsurround..

good luck to you..its a minefield out there..

Last edited by glasgow guy; 21-09-2008 at 23:04.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 11:01   #3

is mine any good to you advert on here last week
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 17:07   #4
Fra

Sorry fireman that's not suitable for my needs. I've got one of those old oak fireplaces that stand tall and have an oval mirror in. For now I'm going to board up the back and tile it or something but I may in the future get a log fire so a stone hearth would be good. I know there's a stone yard on the way through hapton so maybe they could cut something to size
Old 22-09-2008, 17:40   #5
God Member

If that fireplace has been there since the house was built, and it sounds like it may well have been, then a stone hearth is likely to be there already - just need to excavate it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 17:42   #6
Fra

No I brought it in from another house. There's some oldish tiles that was once a hearth but its not very nice.
Old 22-09-2008, 17:44   #7
God Member

Fra, this may be a long shot BUT.... you could try looking on the flea market on Thursday, there is a stall right next to cash generator that sometimes sells things like that
Old 22-09-2008, 19:22   #8
Senior Member+

you will be wasting your money 100% if you buy one and just plonk it down with a multifuel fire...
cos if the fire you are looking to get is a woodburning/coal one then the hearth you get may/will have to be cut into 3 or 4 sections to allow for expansion due to heat and a heat plate installed on it as the heat from a wood burning fire will/may crack a solid stone/marble hearth very easily..I see it quite alot where people have gotten a hearth - laid it down (not correctly) and stuck a multifuel fire in and then the hearth cracks - and they wonder why..
the heat plate sits embedded on the hearth and the fire would sit on top of that part..you would not really see the hearth has been cut into 3 if fitted properly and you would not see the heat plate either as your fire would sit on top of it...

Last edited by glasgow guy; 22-09-2008 at 19:27.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..