Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2009, 18:17   #31
God Member

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Interesting fact that I pulled from the Telegraph's article

Mr Brown claimed a total of £124,454 in expenses and allowances in 2007/08. Mr Cameron claimed £148,829. Nick Clegg, the Lib Dem leader claimed £149,026.

Wonder why it's more expensive to be in the opposition?
Brown won't have an election, so he gets to keep his grace and favour home, downing street.

Wynonie, why do you always use quotes for musings, is there something I'm not getting? :P
Old 05-04-2009, 18:32   #32
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Wynonie, why do you always use quotes for musings, is there something I'm not getting? :P
Because I'm quoting the title of your blog, so I use quotation marks. Nothing particularly significant in it.

Incidentally, I see in your Blair to become president of EU story, you talk about the Irish being forced to vote on the Lisbon Treaty again. Are you also thinking of telling your readers that if they vote "yes" this time (and I sincerely hope they don't), Cameron, if elected, may well break his pledge to hold a similar referendum?

As he said in a speech in Harlow, Essex: "We may have to say, well look, we’re not happy with this situation, here are some of the powers we’d like to have back. But we can’t give you that referendum on the Lisbon Treaty because it’s already been put in place across the rest of Europe."

Not a lot of people know that...
Old 05-04-2009, 19:28   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Because I'm quoting the title of your blog, so I use quotation marks. Nothing particularly significant in it.

Incidentally, I see in your Blair to become president of EU story, you talk about the Irish being forced to vote on the Lisbon Treaty again. Are you also thinking of telling your readers that if they vote "yes" this time (and I sincerely hope they don't), Cameron, if elected, may well break his pledge to hold a similar referendum?

As he said in a speech in Harlow, Essex: "We may have to say, well look, we’re not happy with this situation, here are some of the powers we’d like to have back. But we can’t give you that referendum on the Lisbon Treaty because it’s already been put in place across the rest of Europe."

Not a lot of people know that...
Well they have said it will have no democratic legitimacy if it's ratified and would 'not let it rest'. I'm unsure what they will do though, as they can't abandon it once Gordon's undemocratically signed it in. You could leave these in the comments though you know!

If I developed every issue I would have a never ending post. I take your point though.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:35   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
Right, I will be keeping an eye on your "musings" the next time a Tory hits the headlines for some scandal or other!
A Tory hits the headlines for some scandal or other Wynonie I'm shocked and not a little amazed to even think of it
Old 07-05-2009, 20:43   #35
God Member

Apparently the Telegraph have got hold of a disk of MP's expenses and will be publishing them in tomorrows paper!
Old 07-05-2009, 20:51   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Daily or Lancashire?
Old 07-05-2009, 20:58   #37
God Member

Sorry, daily. Tomorrow is going to be a big news day I think..
Old 07-05-2009, 21:28   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Don't get excited I read it hours ago, nothing interesting to report
Old 07-05-2009, 22:03   #39
God Member

from what I gather the list published by the Daily Telegraph is for members of the cabinet.... if or when a complete list of ALL Mp's expenses is published I've got an inkling it could be far more embarrasing for the Tories
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 22:08   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
from what I gather the list published by the Daily Telegraph is for members of the cabinet.... if or when a complete list of ALL Mp's expenses is published I've got an inkling it could be far more embarrasing for the Tories
methinks ya have more chance of being struck by lightening. i aint seen it yet, but suspect andrew has n is playing the owd "Spin" game.

Last edited by cashman; 07-05-2009 at 22:13.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 22:35   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
Apparently the Telegraph have got hold of a disk of MP's expenses and will be publishing them in tomorrows paper!
It is only right that MP expenses should be known by the public... I hope theTelegraph publish all MP's claims..unedited!
whoever sold the disc to the press must have the brains to have made copies...so lets hope the truth comes out .
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 23:02   #42
Give, give, give member

You can always rely on the good old Daily Telegraph to get down to the nitty gritty, and publish the facts.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:31   #43
Super Moderator

Can't wait for the Tory and Lib-Dem expense claims, which I'm sure will be every bit as embarrassing as the Labour ones we've seen so far. However, as the fragrant Harriet Harman loftily proclaimed to us last night, it was all within the rules. Rules which this cosy Parliamentary club drew up themselves to ensure that they profited at the taxpayers' expense. And don't forget that this information has had to be dragged out of them, as they put every obstacle in the way to ensure that we didn't know about their little games.

It's also worth remembering that we're actually getting less value for money from our elected representatives. Because politicians of all parties have been happy to surrender large parts of our independence to the EU superstate, the amount of legislation they have to deal with has actually be greatly reduced over the years.

They may be within the rules , but what a bunch of greedy, money-grubbing, self-serving sods!
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:19   #44
God Member

It makes me angry when a politician says 'it was within the rules'. It may well be, but it's certainly not within the spirit of the rules is it! I'm sure there will be members from other parties whom will get found out too Wynonie, I think the Telegraph are publishing more in the coming days..

Transparency has been a long time coming, I'm pretty sure we will all be getting better value for money now that they can be held accountable to the spending of tax payers money.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50   #45
God Member

I've written todays on MP’s Expenses Claims Leaked Part 1 | Andrew Barrett's Musings if people don't want to buy the telegraph.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..