Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2009, 09:18   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Well to me this is a dead duck politically, I am not naive enough to think that Labour MPs are the only one's "playing within the rules" when it comes to exes. The only thing that I have a problem with is that Whitter than White Government was one of the 5 pledges put forward by New Labour prior to the 1997 Election, I think could do better is rather an understatement to say the least
Old 08-05-2009, 13:24   #47
Super Moderator

It's fascinating (in a grim sort of way) to see all the dodges that our money-grubbing representatives get up to to maximise the amount of dosh they can wring out of us. For instance, kitting out their "second home" with freebies, then notifying the authorities that they are switching over and specifying their "main place of residence" as their "second home" so they can spend lots of our hard-earned money on that...all within the rules, of course.

Interesting that Cameron and Clegg are very quiet about all this...I wonder why?
Wynonie Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 16:33   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
It's fascinating (in a grim sort of way) to see all the dodges that our money-grubbing representatives get up to to maximise the amount of dosh they can wring out of us. For instance, kitting out their "second home" with freebies, then notifying the authorities that they are switching over and specifying their "main place of residence" as their "second home" so they can spend lots of our hard-earned money on that...all within the rules, of course.

Interesting that Cameron and Clegg are very quiet about all this...I wonder why?
Exactly what I said in the post above yours
Old 08-05-2009, 22:31   #49
Super Moderator

So, have our honourable members shown the slightest amount of contrition or regret over the revelations? Not on your life! Excuses, evasions and the blanket statement, "it was in the rules" are all we've had from this greedy lot. The fact is, it was not in the spirit of the rules and a large number of politicians on both sides of the House have simply used their positions to grab as many goodies as they can at the taxpayers' expense.

They are getting angry about something, though...the fact that details have been leaked prematurely to the press. In fact, they're so angry that they're calling the police in. Well, maybe, this would never have happened in the first place if they'd released their full expense details when they were asked to four years ago, or perhaps last year when the High Court ordered them to. The simple fact is that they did not want us, the public, to know just what a bunch of freeloaders they are!
Old 09-05-2009, 09:08   #50
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MPs expenses

Heard an interesting interview this morning with a chap who was one of Tony Blair's team in the early days, when he said that because MPs only get £60 odd thousand a year, it has been an unwritten rule that they made up there wages by using the expense system, that it was a noted thing, and that old hands in the commons usually took the newbies to one side and tipped them the wink as to what to do and how to do it, that is of course before they realised that their exes were going to be published, now things have quietened down. You couldn't make it up could you
Old 09-05-2009, 09:37   #51
God Member

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MPs expenses

It's disgraceful Jaysay! One should be going into parliament for good reasons, not to live a life of luxury at the expense of the taxpayer.

There's another load revealed today, including the first Conservative: MP’s Expenses Claims Leaked Part 2 | Andrew Barrett's Musings

MP's have claimed 41p for a lemon and 5p for a carrier bag - you couldn't make it up!
Old 10-05-2009, 01:35   #52
God Member

if there is a 4 year limit that at least should cover the last 2 year of Blairs premiership should it not , would be interesting to see what he and Cherie claimed in expenses ,maybe the construction of a "mini Sistine chapel" complete with goldleaf in the basement of his family home, all ready and waiting for his conversion after he saw the Light
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:05   #53
God Member

this is how the US press is covering the expenses row
British MPs expense X-rated movies, horse manure
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:12   #54
Super Moderator

I've noticed that the freeloaders now have a new cliche to add to the old "I was only acting within the rules" line. They're now parroting that "the system is wrong" ad inifinitum with a look of desperation in their eyes. How about "it's a fair cop, guv" instead?

What a bunch of greedy, grasping, hypocritcal, manipulative, snout-dipping, dishonourable, thoroughly reprehensible individuals!
Old 10-05-2009, 09:16   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

the main crime here is to come unstuck. most people would work a fiddle if it presented itself.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:37   #56
God Member

Quote:
I've noticed that the freeloaders now have a new cliche to add to the old "I was only acting within the rules" line. They're now parroting that "the system is wrong" ad inifinitum with a look of desperation in their eyes. How about "it's a fair cop, guv" instead?

What a bunch of greedy, grasping, hypocritcal, manipulative, snout-dipping, dishonourable, thoroughly reprehensible individuals!
Karma sent Wynonie, I have been saying for many years that a good proportion of MP's are in it purely for what they can get out of it for themselves, but then, if you see what the monarchy take out of taxes (and I no longer believe that it is balanced by a return), they have a good example shown to them.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:06   #57
God Member

Quote:

but they are within the rules, like Cashman says most people in any job would claim expenses if it was legitimate to do so...to my mind the real outrage here is the MP's expenses system itself.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:16   #58
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
but they are within the rules, like Cashman says most people in any job would claim expenses if it was legitimate to do so...to my mind the real outrage here is the MP's expenses system itself.
spot on, glad someone can see the full picture.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:02   #59
God Member

I don't think 'within the rules' is at all an excuse. Especially when you're in public office using public money. Moving your second home, to a seaside home 100 miles away from your constituency then spending £22,000 days later fixing rot? It's blatant abuse but 'within the rules'. I don't know how they have the nerve.

A Conservative MP James Gray not only claimed £60 for the cost of Remembrance Day wreaths, but then sent a complaint to the claims office when he was told he couldn't have the money. He'd 'got away with it before'. He needs the party whip withdrawing.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:17   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think 'within the rules' is at all an excuse. Especially when you're in public office using public money. Moving your second home, to a seaside home 100 miles away from your constituency then spending £22,000 days later fixing rot? It's blatant abuse but 'within the rules'. I don't know how they have the nerve.

A Conservative MP James Gray not only claimed £60 for the cost of Remembrance Day wreaths, but then sent a complaint to the claims office when he was told he couldn't have the money. He'd 'got away with it before'. He needs the party whip withdrawing.
i agree its no excuse, but its also fact, i base that statement on many years representing various bodies, i never once claimed more than i was entitled, sometimes didn't even claim, but am well aware " Many" did, cos it was there to do, ya have much to learn andrew if ya assume people are any different.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..