Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2009, 16:02   #91
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The worst was having the moat drained at their castle.

I hope every one of them, irrespective of which party they belong to, finds themself without a seat after the next election.

You half expect the Tories to be feathering their own nests at the public expense, it's sort of traditional, but it's even more galling when Labour MPs are at it, because they only won the election in '97 on an anti-sleaze ticket.
Whiter than white government was the term used I think Rindi
Old 12-05-2009, 16:56   #92

"Tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime" so let's get them all locked up as they are always telling us about Benefit Fraud and what really gets on my xxxx is the fact that this story has pushed the disgusting unemployment figures off the front page
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 16:59   #93
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yeh wadey but don't ya know.......... not a crime if yer n M.P.
Old 12-05-2009, 17:22   #94
God Member

It is a bloody crime even if you're an MP and I hope anyone who broke the rules gets investigated by the relevant authorities. I'm glad those who broke the spirit of the rules are paying back the money they took from the public purse!
Old 12-05-2009, 18:15   #95
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
It is a bloody crime even if you're an MP and I hope anyone who broke the rules gets investigated by the relevant authorities. I'm glad those who broke the spirit of the rules are paying back the money they took from the public purse!
i know its a crime,you know its a crime andrew, they don't see it that way.
Old 12-05-2009, 18:22   #96
God Member

Thing is that they weren't fiddling the system, the system was flawed in the first place to allow them to do this 'within the rules'.

Rules are made for worst case scenarios - for example, I don't think anyone would argue that MPs who live a long way from London have to have two places of residence. In effect, these long distance MPs have two very different and distinct jobs - they have to look after their individual constituents and they have to be available in Parliament to vote and debate on issues - I suppose they all have this but for long distance MPs there could be 100s of miles in between the two jobs. What is wrong, is when every MP (well not every MP) decides to claim the 'worst case scenario'.

I think the rot set in when MPs were allowed to be selected as MP for a region without living there - if they do that then they clearly aren't interested in that region they're interested in being an MP. Fortunately, Greg is a local lad, lived locally and wanted to represent the people closest to him. There are less and less like him these days.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Last edited by Gayle; 12-05-2009 at 18:26.
Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 18:34   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

know what yer saying gayle, that don't always follow though, "Davidson" was not a local lad, to my recollection, he was also "Oppositon" if memory serves me right, but he was a good M.P. fer accy at that time.
Old 12-05-2009, 18:36   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Thing is that they weren't fiddling the system, the system was flawed in the first place to allow them to do this 'within the rules'.
The Tory leader does'nt think so and has ordered, yes ordered all Tory MP's to hand money back for dodgy claims that should not have been made.
David Cameron has closed the loophole.
Where is Flash Gordon Today?.........another crisis and no Gordon.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 18:57   #99
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
The Tory leader does'nt think so and has ordered, yes ordered all Tory MP's to hand money back for dodgy claims that should not have been made.
Will they all do so though? Gogs is waiting to see if they all do then claim that even the opposition are not as squeaky clean as they think they are. MP's need to fix this but doubt they will even with a 3 way whip as it is a "Brucie Bonus" to some. A bit like the conveyer with all the goodies that you got if you remebered them.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 19:04   #100
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
about as believable as the arabs n jews being friends. n yes i saw the news. n if some is paid back aint cos its wrong, its cos they been caught, get real.

Last edited by cashman; 12-05-2009 at 19:07.
cashman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 19:38   #101
Super Moderator

They may be following the rules but, firstly, they devised their own rules and secondly, they are certainly not keeping within the spirit of the rules. In fact, they are bending the rules to satisfy their own greed. Obviously, a MP who lives in the provinces needs some sort of accommodation in London, but an MP who classifies a London flat as a second home, decorates and furnishes it on public funds, then switches the second home status to their family home in the provinces in order to stock that up with goodies is leeching off us, the taxpayers. Then, when they are discovered with their snouts in the trough, to launch into a sanctimonious whine about how it's somehow the fault of the system is adding insult to injury! No one forced them to make such outlandish claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
I think the rot set in when MPs were allowed to be selected as MP for a region without living there - if they do that then they clearly aren't interested in that region they're interested in being an MP.
Don't agree with the above, either. Think Hazel Blears - a Salfordian representing a Salford constituency.

Also, there are a few MPs on both sides who have been fair and reasonable in the claims they make...so it's not inevitable that MPs make large-scale claims because of the system.
Old 12-05-2009, 19:47   #102
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
about as believable as the arabs n jews being friends. n yes i saw the news. n if some is paid back aint cos its wrong, its cos they been caught, get real.
I think I have been tollerant with some of your submissions because Cashy is Cashy.....I have just heard Hazel Blears squirm on tv about why she used a twisted system and she too has been caught out.
The only loosers in this saga is the taxpayer.
As for getting real, I think I am not the only one who thinks this is a shower of bent pratts in both parties who have taken advantage of you and me and the rest of the British Public.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 22:14   #103
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I think I have been tollerant with some of your submissions because Cashy is Cashy.....I have just heard Hazel Blears squirm on tv about why she used a twisted system and she too has been caught out.
The only loosers in this saga is the taxpayer.
As for getting real, I think I am not the only one who thinks this is a shower of bent pratts in both parties who have taken advantage of you and me and the rest of the British Public.
if ya care to take notice of my submissions as ya call em i have said more than once "all" parties are guilty, meaning all parties, but i have declined to take cheap shots at any of em unlike you, fer my point of view all tarred with same brush. but people like you just can't resist, fair enough if its just 1 side thats wrong, slag away,i do whoever it is.
Old 12-05-2009, 22:22   #104
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The worst was having the moat drained at their castle.

I hope every one of them, irrespective of which party they belong to, finds themself without a seat after the next election.

You half expect the Tories to be feathering their own nests at the public expense, it's sort of traditional, but it's even more galling when Labour MPs are at it, because they only won the election in '97 on an anti-sleaze ticket.
well we all know an Englishmans home is his castle....but it seems if you are aTory MP then you can get your moat drained and maintained using public money..for most of us common folk your lucky if you get the street sweeped!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 03:57   #105
God Member

The way public mood is going, he is gonna need to fill the moat again

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..