Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2009, 09:27   #106
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MP's expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Thing is that they weren't fiddling the system, the system was flawed in the first place to allow them to do this 'within the rules'.

Rules are made for worst case scenarios - for example, I don't think anyone would argue that MPs who live a long way from London have to have two places of residence. In effect, these long distance MPs have two very different and distinct jobs - they have to look after their individual constituents and they have to be available in Parliament to vote and debate on issues - I suppose they all have this but for long distance MPs there could be 100s of miles in between the two jobs. What is wrong, is when every MP (well not every MP) decides to claim the 'worst case scenario'.

I think the rot set in when MPs were allowed to be selected as MP for a region without living there - if they do that then they clearly aren't interested in that region they're interested in being an MP. Fortunately, Greg is a local lad, lived locally and wanted to represent the people closest to him. There are less and less like him these days.
The last MP DID actually live in Hyndburn
Old 13-05-2009, 12:31   #107
Full Member+

It was nice to see Hazel Blears in the paper showing the £13332 cheque she is sending to the Inland Revenue, however as she incorrectly completed her tax return with a material omission, I`m sure HM Revenue and Customs may want to look into the issue of interest due ( £13332 x 3.25%) and penalties (between 20-70% of tax avoided) and ask her to divvy up a little further!
Old 13-05-2009, 12:41   #108
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
The last MP DID actually live in Hyndburn
As does Greg. And as far as I know Ken was a hard working MP for his town. Like Greg, he was a local lad who wanted to represent his friends, neighbours, colleagues and the people of the town he came from. I'm not having a go at Greg or Ken on this so I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm having a go at MPs like Kitty Ussher from Burnley who was selected for Burnley without having ever lived in the town. She then rented a house up here for the campaign and then bought a house after being elected. She's a career MP and in my mind, that's not the right reason for being a candidate for a town - I think MPs should be local people for the local town.

I'm sure there are exceptions - Hazel Blears is obviously one of them. Even though she represents her own area of Salford.

I'm also sure there are other exceptions of people who have never visited a town before being elected who are doing a great job for that area now. You mention Arthur Davidson but lets face it, that was over 20 years ago - not exactly a current example!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 14:20   #109
God Member

Quote:
As does Greg. And as far as I know Ken was a hard working MP for his town. Like Greg, he was a local lad who wanted to represent his friends, neighbours, colleagues and the people of the town he came from. I'm not having a go at Greg or Ken on this so I'm not sure what your point is.

I'm having a go at MPs like Kitty Ussher from Burnley who was selected for Burnley without having ever lived in the town. She then rented a house up here for the campaign and then bought a house after being elected. She's a career MP and in my mind, that's not the right reason for being a candidate for a town - I think MPs should be local people for the local town.

I'm sure there are exceptions - Hazel Blears is obviously one of them. Even though she represents her own area of Salford.

I'm also sure there are other exceptions of people who have never visited a town before being elected who are doing a great job for that area now. You mention Arthur Davidson but lets face it, that was over 20 years ago - not exactly a current example!
I'm not sure he does live in Hyndburn does he? I always thought it was Blackburn. Very close anyway, I'm just being pedantic.
Old 13-05-2009, 16:01   #110
Resting in Peace

Re: £10,000 offered to leak MPs expenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mick View Post
It was nice to see Hazel Blears in the paper showing the £13332 cheque she is sending to the Inland Revenue, however as she incorrectly completed her tax return with a material omission, I`m sure HM Revenue and Customs may want to look into the issue of interest due ( £13332 x 3.25%) and penalties (between 20-70% of tax avoided) and ask her to divvy up a little further!
That's just what my Daughter said, and she worked for Revenue and Customs for 19 years

Last edited by jaysay; 13-05-2009 at 16:03.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2009, 16:03   #111
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I'm not sure he does live in Hyndburn does he? I always thought it was Blackburn. Very close anyway, I'm just being pedantic.
Just like I was Andrew, he does live in Blackburn
Old 14-05-2009, 02:49   #112
God Member

the "spin machine" is pretty active ... the oil rags on here trying to detract the disgust felt into a local issue..when the real story is that the Lords and Ladies of the Tory party sit back in comfort with the knowledge that the public will have to pay for thier upkeep!... it disgusts me that working class people lick the boots of thier Tory Masters...you are scum!

Last edited by Mancie; 14-05-2009 at 02:56.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 06:25   #113
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
the "spin machine" is pretty active ... the oil rags on here trying to detract the disgust felt into a local issue..when the real story is that the Lords and Ladies of the Tory party sit back in comfort with the knowledge that the public will have to pay for thier upkeep!... it disgusts me that working class people lick the boots of thier Tory Masters...you are scum!
Come on Mancie , you, me and every other working class 'git' have allways known that the 'their Nibs' have allways screwed the workers , whats galling folks is the fact that Labour politicians , the ones who used to sing 'Jerusalem' in Methodist chapels are up to the same Tory tricks .....
Seems to me its time for a revival of "Old Labour" ...but that would mean that folks take some sort of responsibility for themselves and not depend on the State for every thing, Old labour's promise was to provide a crutch till the wound/hardship healed, New Labour promise seems to be screw the wound/hardship we will just provide an aspirin .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 07:52   #114
Super Moderator

So, how exactly do you claim £16,000 for a mortgage you've paid off "by mistake"?

Time to call the rozzers in!
Old 14-05-2009, 08:59   #115
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris View Post
So, how exactly do you claim £16,000 for a mortgage you've paid off "by mistake"?

Time to call the rozzers in!
And that's not a Tory Lord either its a lying labour toe rag Mancie
Old 14-05-2009, 11:08   #116
God Member

Camerons aide gone!

He and his wife are both MP's. They have two houses one in London one in constituency, and they were both claiming second home allowance for each house. Giving them two second homes and not one. He should be deselected!
Old 14-05-2009, 11:20   #117
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
He should be deselected!
Must admit, that thought crossed my mind. If his sheenanigans make him not fit to be aide, surely he's not fit to be an MP? Same goes for his missus, too!
Old 14-05-2009, 11:28   #118
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Just like I was Andrew, he does live in Blackburn

You are all being pedantic. He was brought up in Hyndburn - Great Harwood.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2009, 11:31   #119
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You are all being pedantic. He was brought up in Hyndburn - Great Harwood.
but doesn't live in Hyndburn now Gayle and when he was brought up Great Harwood was Ribble Valley
Old 14-05-2009, 11:35   #120
God Member

I'm surprised Greg has not been on here with his contribution. Still, you know what they say..."When the sh*t hits the fan.........."

Ooops.....just seen the other thread!

Last edited by Tealeaf; 14-05-2009 at 11:39.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..