Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would do if you took the 11 plus?
6 - 8 Grammar School 32 82.05%
3 - 5 Secondary Modern School 6 15.38%
0 - 2 Technical School 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-06-2008, 18:17   #16

Re: 11 Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe that is the idea.
If that is the idea it would be rather counter productive as by definition dyslexics have a higher than average IQ which is what 11+ exams are designed to measure.
Of course the test on the Beeb did not include any Verbal Reasoning or non Verbal Reasoning question which nearly all Grammar Schools do test, eg both Clitheroe and Bacup Grammar include VR in their exams and this type of question was included back in the early 70's in Accrington

I retract that,the paint question was VR

Last edited by polly; 30-06-2008 at 18:26.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-06-2008, 18:23   #17
God Member

Hey! I passed again. Whoopee ding ... now I'm off to Accy Grammar, bring on the silly blazer and short pants ... and it's off to the bog for a woodbine!
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 18:26   #18

7 for me,

Knew I'd passed it in '66 when I took it, but my family had no money behind us and the scholarships had gone... ah, but well, Sec Mod didn't do me too bad, got 6 of them pesky GCE's
Old 30-06-2008, 18:30   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc View Post
7 for me,

Knew I'd passed it in '66 when I took it, but my family had no money behind us and the scholarships had gone... ah, but well, Sec Mod didn't do me too bad, got 6 of them pesky GCE's

lol, I wasn't allowed to go because my 3 elder stepbrothers were as thick as pig **** and my stepmother said I shouldn't be allowed extra privileges if they couldn't have them.

Ironically I lived a five minute walk from Bacup & Rawtenstall Grammar, but had to go to a secondary modern school 4 miles away
Old 30-06-2008, 18:32   #20
God Member

7 for me too

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 18:32   #21
Senior Member+

Woohoo, 8 for me!
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:00   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
How would do if you had to take the 11 plus?
Give it a try here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today...00/7478154.stm
Well I must be thick,couldn't understand how would do.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 19:53   #23
Passed away 25-11-09

I got the who/whom question wrong - except I don't agree with their answer as "who" is subjective and "whom" is objective. Anyway I can still go to Paddock House, or I could if it was still there, and provided I could still pass the entrance exam which was a damned sight harder than the 11 plus.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:10   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I got the who/whom question wrong - except I don't agree with their answer as "who" is subjective and "whom" is objective. Anyway I can still go to Paddock House, or I could if it was still there, and provided I could still pass the entrance exam which was a damned sight harder than the 11 plus.
In the question, the subject or the sentence is "you" and "whom" is the object of the verb phrase "do consider" ... it's easy.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:19   #25
God Member

I got the sum one wrong.

I thought the other where rather easy considering these tests are meant to seperate the brightest students from the rest of the crowd.

I don't understand how people got the brush one wrong, but then I guess thattats because my reasoning is obviously different than theres.

The number sequence was quite simple, just deduction by 7, then 6 and then 23 wasn't the next as it wasn't the deduction of 5... or maybe the numbers started a bit higher.

Is that really representative of an 11+ test though? I don't think it is. We did one in sociology and critically analysed the questions and found plenty of biases.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:20   #26
God Member

The 11 plus had been abolished by the time I went to school but I scored 6 out of 8 on this one so I would have gone to grammar school.
Old 30-06-2008, 20:25   #27

As we are all so bright I propose we all go on Eggheads or Countdown and clean up. Or better still lets setup a quiz night online and see who the true brains are :-). I`m sure no-one will cheat :-o
banjoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:28   #28
Senior Member+

I can do and 11 plus, but wouldnt fair my chances on general knowledge lol
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 20:37   #29
God Member

8 for me but don't fancy going to Notre Dame again. Thank goodness it isn't there!!
Old 30-06-2008, 20:48   #30
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: 11 Plus

I got 7/8 and also did well in my 11 plus for real all those years ago. Not quite good enough for a Grammar School but good enough for the Accrington Secondary Technical School in Ossy.

I went for crawled, trudged, trotted, raced, galloped
Their answer was crawled, trudged, trotted, galloped, raced.

Hmmm! Galloped – Raced! A horse gallops whilst it is racing or if you like when a horse is raced it will be galloping. I claim a moral 8/8.

The numbers sequence Studio25 was the difference between adjacent numbers and reducing by one each time.

Paint is to brush as ink is to pen lancsdave. The pen writes with ink and a brush paints with paint. You don’t paint with hair.

No one has written a story so all those claiming a score actually got one less.

Good, bad or indifferent my story gives me a genuine 7/8.

With a body made of straw I have to be propped up by a stick stuck in the ground, otherwise I would just fold over. In fact the stick is more of a cross because my arms are just as floppy so they are held outstretched by the cross member. So you could say that I was made just to be crucified.

I spend my days stuck in a field of wheat and my brief is to scare off the birds from eating all the seed that my farmer sowed. Sadly I cannot move around waving my arms so the birds just ridicule me and peck away to their heart’s content. Some even have the cheek to perch on my outstretched arms and one regularly perches on my head and then craps all over my back. It is most undignified and I wish and I wish that one day I could come alive and wring those birds’ necks.

Then on one magic night with a clear sky and a new moon, a light drifted down from the sky. I stared with amazement as the light got closer and brighter until it settled a few feet in front of me.

I couldn’t take my eyes off this apparition and watched as the light faded until I could see a beautiful woman with a star tipped wand in her outstretched hand. Her brilliant white dress glistened in the starlight and then she spoke.

Her voice was soft and warm as she waved her wand and spoke, “Your dream has come true scarecrow and tomorrow you will be able to run around and wave your arms to scare all the birds away. But now you must sleep so that in the morning you will be fit to do your job.”

With that the lady was enveloped in an incandescent light and disappeared upwards into the night sky.

If I could have done, I would have rubbed my eyes but instead drifted off into a deep sleep dreaming of being able to run around.

Next morning as the birds dived onto the field the usual crow sat on my head. But just as it was going to make me suffer the ultimate dignity once again, I move my head and frightened the life out of it. I move my arms around and the birds flew off squawking in a panic. Buoyed by my sudden ability to move I lifted one leg, then the other and found that I could walk and then run.

For the next hour I chased all the birds all over the field with such vigour that they all just flew away swearing that they will never come back.

I patrolled the field until nightfall but not one single bird dared to land in my field. Exhausted I went back to my usual spot and as the night drew on, my newly found ability to move dwindled away.

Today I still stand stock still but the wheat has grown from the seeds and in a few days the harvesters will come along and harvest the crop.

My farmer will be pleased but I hope that he doesn’t leave me out here for the winter and takes me into that nice warm barn where he first made me.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..