Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would do if you took the 11 plus?
6 - 8 Grammar School 32 82.05%
3 - 5 Secondary Modern School 6 15.38%
0 - 2 Technical School 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2008, 20:26   #61
God Member

Re: 11 Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Yes Accy's jumped down and Lancaster's jumped up.

And yes Shakermaker, I apologise for my terrible use of the English language there, I really must stop posting when exhausted, I've noticed I do these things a lot when I am getting tired!
By the way hon, how did the exams go? Or do you know yet? I hope everything went
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2008, 17:44   #62
God Member

8/8.. Nothing there that I shouldn't have been able to do at 11.. uses common sense rather than things you have to learn.
Old 06-07-2008, 17:47   #63
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
8/8.. Nothing there that I shouldn't have been able to do at 11.. uses common sense rather than things you have to learn.
Ok not everybody is flipping Einstein you know!
Old 06-07-2008, 18:38   #64
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: 11 Plus

Quote:
So English grammar and arithmetic is common sense is it?

Actually your score was 7/8. I know that the questionnaire assumed that you would write a story about a scarecrow and gave the point anyway, but surely a bright young thing like you would want to write a story and genuinely qualify for 8/8?
Old 06-07-2008, 20:19   #65
Resting in Peace

Jambutty is correct Andrew .. this is just a shortened version of what was the 11+ included all types of areas, not just the logical/common sense side.

The 11+ was usually a few hours long, split into 2 periods (if I can remember correctly).

Know my son to get into a Grammar School (Ok .. 15 years ago, but after 11+ had finished) .. had to do a 3 hour exam to get in there.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 20:33   #66
God Member

Then I take it back if that's not the full thing. I probably wouldn't have been able to write a story, my spelling and grammar have always been terrible!
Old 06-07-2008, 20:59   #67
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Then I take it back if that's not the full thing. I probably wouldn't have been able to write a story, my spelling and grammar have always been terrible!
At 11 years of age spelling and grammar would not be such a big issue. However the content of the story and how it was structured would.

However if your forte is going to be politics, then brushing up on your grammar and spelling should be a high priority.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:24   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
At 11 years of age spelling and grammar would not be such a big issue. However the content of the story and how it was structured would.

However if your forte is going to be politics, then brushing up on your grammar and spelling should be a high priority.
Actually nowadays for the local state grammar school pupils do not do story or any free writing. They do however have passages where they have to pick out the spelling, punctuation and grammatical mistakes.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:32   #69
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by polly View Post
Actually nowadays for the local state grammar school pupils do not do story or any free writing. They do however have passages where they have to pick out the spelling, punctuation and grammatical mistakes.
That’s a pity because getting pupils to write stories exercises their imagination as well grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Compared to being creative, finding someone else’s mistakes is easy.

Maybe that is one of the reasons why modern youth is so destructive (not all of course)? They haven’t learned to create, just destroy.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:08   #70
Resting in Peace

Actually Jambutty pretty sure was no story writing in the 11+ when I took it, but as described by Polly.

Only when you get to secondary that some schools look at the structure and imagination more .... not at a Grammar School though, they are still strict about spelling and punctuation, plus the structure of course.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 17:29   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That’s a pity because getting pupils to write stories exercises their imagination as well grammar, punctuation and spelling.

Compared to being creative, finding someone else’s mistakes is easy.

Maybe that is one of the reasons why modern youth is so destructive (not all of course)? They haven’t learned to create, just destroy.
Rather a sweeping (and incorrect) remark that, jambutty.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 17:45   #72
Senior Member+

Grammar school for me.Six scored.Deja vu.
Old 07-07-2008, 17:46   #73
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Actually Jambutty pretty sure was no story writing in the 11+ when I took it, but as described by Polly.

Only when you get to secondary that some schools look at the structure and imagination more .... not at a Grammar School though, they are still strict about spelling and punctuation, plus the structure of course.
I can’t remember my 11+ back in 1948 but the book of quizzes was listing exams from the 40’s and 50’s.

It does state, “Test your knowledge with these genuine questions from the original eleven-plus.” So the questions would have come from those eras and unless they have got it all wrong, included write a short story.
Old 07-07-2008, 17:54   #74
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Rather a sweeping (and incorrect) remark that, jambutty.
Which remark would that be?

There are three remarks and one question. It can’t be the question because a question cannot be wrong.

Rather than trying (and failing) to take a poke at me and what I post, you really should try first of all finding your brain (you could be sat on it), then engaging it before going anywhere near your keyboard.

So mush back in the creche.
Old 07-07-2008, 18:04   #75
God Member

n/a

Last edited by shakermaker; 07-07-2008 at 18:09.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..