Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: How would do if you took the 11 plus?
6 - 8 Grammar School 32 82.05%
3 - 5 Secondary Modern School 6 15.38%
0 - 2 Technical School 1 2.56%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2008, 18:06   #76
God Member

Re: 11 Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Which remark would that be?

There are three remarks and one question. It can’t be the question because a question cannot be wrong.

Rather than trying (and failing) to take a poke at me and what I post, you really should try first of all finding your brain (you could be sat on it), then engaging it before going anywhere near your keyboard.

So mush back in the creche.
I thought you never started the insult throwing?
It's you who is appearing as a child you fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty
Maybe that is one of the reasons why modern youth is so destructive (not all of course)? They haven’t learned to create, just destroy.
This is the completely incorrect remark. You have no evidence that a) the youth of today is any more destructive than any other past generation of youths and b) that children aren't learning to create. It's an idiotic statement. No need to start insulting people just because you're wrong.

Last edited by shakermaker; 07-07-2008 at 18:09.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-07-2008, 18:27   #77
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: 11 Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I thought you never started the insult throwing?
It's you who is appearing as a child you fool.

This is the completely incorrect remark. You have no evidence that a) the youth of today is any more destructive than any other past generation of youths and b) that children aren't learning to create. It's an idiotic statement. No need to start insulting people just because you're wrong.
I don’t. It was a response to your attempt in having a dig at me.

But the remark that you refer to is a question denoted by the question mark at the end of the sentence.

My 71 years of age against your 19 years suggest that I have actually experienced more life than you and thus I am much more qualified than you to compare the youth of today with the youth of yesterday.

As I said get back to the crèche.
Old 07-07-2008, 18:33   #78
God Member

Quote:
Oh you must be a paranoid soul. I stated that your remark was incorrect and generalised - nothing more. How you construed that as a 'dig' at you is a mystery.

Quote:
My 71 years of age against your 19 years suggest that I have actually experienced more life than you and thus I am much more qualified than you to compare the youth of today with the youth of yesterday.
Possibly. Or, my actual being in the youth of today and you being incredibly out of touch with the said youth may lead to believe that I'm much more qualified to make assertions about my generation.

Quote:
Stop being a cranky old fool sir. It doesn't suit you.
Old 07-07-2008, 18:43   #79
Resting in Peace

Have just been up in the loft looking through some of my son's exercise books .. year 4 at All Saint's Primary .. (18 years ago ?). Came across a piece he had written about Moses, updated to modern times .. lol. Comment by teacher was "I will give you a star for imagination and interest, but Jamie when are you going to learn how to use full stops ?" So, structure and imagination was not dead then, plus the grammar. Still feel he is the youth of today at 26. Was not really destructive teaching Jambutty.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 18:52   #80
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Oh you must be a paranoid soul. I stated that your remark was incorrect and generalised - nothing more. How you construed that as a 'dig' at you is a mystery.

Possibly. Or, my actual being in the youth of today and you being incredibly out of touch with the said youth may lead to believe that I'm much more qualified to make assertions about my generation.

Stop being a cranky old fool sir. It doesn't suit you.
Then remain mystified or better still brush up on your understanding of the English language.

I have 4 children (all adults now), 11 grandchildren some still at school (thus they are the youth of today) and 5 great grandchildren who also qualify as the youth of today even if the oldest is only 7.

And to boot I live right across the road from a high school where I cannot help but observe the youth of today from time to time as they arrive at and leave from the school each day. Plus their dinner time antics.

Regarding your final sentence, my remark of the day fits in quite nicely. “It takes one to know one.”
Old 07-07-2008, 18:56   #81
God Member

Quote:
Regarding your final sentence, my remark of the day fits in quite nicely. “It takes one to know one.”
Then I suggest you sign up for the English Language course with me... by definition I can't exactly be a 'cranky old fool' at nineteen.

You know you were out of order to start mudslinging jambutty after my post. I know how hard it is for you to admit that you're wrong so you need not apologise. It's the thought that counts
Old 07-07-2008, 18:59   #82
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Have just been up in the loft looking through some of my son's exercise books .. year 4 at All Saint's Primary .. (18 years ago ?). Came across a piece he had written about Moses, updated to modern times .. lol. Comment by teacher was "I will give you a star for imagination and interest, but Jamie when are you going to learn how to use full stops ?" So, structure and imagination was not dead then, plus the grammar. Still feel he is the youth of today at 26. Was not really destructive teaching Jambutty.
So the quiz was correct in that the 11+ did contain story writing because pupils wrote stories in Primary school.

Come on katex, you know that I didn’t state that destroying was taught in schools. I said something to the effect of, if they don’t allow kids to be creative by asking them to write stories then maybe they will turn to being destructive rather than constructive.

In any case I was posing a question not making a statement.
Old 07-07-2008, 19:25   #83
Passed away 25-11-09

My granddaughter brought home her school report last week. It's an extremely good report with only one slightly critical comment, as follows.

In English Language, her teacher has written,
"Laura writes interesting and imaginative stories and demonstrates an excellent grasp of spelling and grammar. She makes accurate use of speech marks but she must remember that each report of speech requires to start on a new line."

I thought that was not at all bad (either for her or for her teacher's instruction and expectations)- seeing as she's an 8 year old, year 3 pupil. Schools are still teaching the same lessons as ever they were, Laura is tested on spellings and times-tables, weekly, and she has homework, and with parental back-up it works.
Old 11-07-2008, 23:47   #84
God Member

Me I am practically minded not theory so 11+ would be no good. Where would it really leave all those late developers?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 21:53   #85
God Member

Quote:

But the remark that you refer to is a question denoted by the question mark at the end of the sentence.

"My 71 years .... youth of yesterday" contains logical inconsistencies; for example what follows "and thus" is leaping to a conclusion not justified by the openning words of your argument .... Length of life = experience of life ... nope, doesn't work for me.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..