Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2007, 17:37   #136
God Member

Re: 15m bank details lost!!

Looks like they have had a TIP off

Police have visited London rubbish tips in their hunt for missing computer discs containing personal details of 25 million people.

The two Child Benefit discs containing names, dates of birth, bank and address details went missing on 18 October.
They were lost when a junior official sent them by courier from Tyne and Wear to the National Audit Office in London.
It is believed police fear the discs may have accidentally been thrown out as rubbish. Police have visited several tips around London to check what waste was delivered there.
Old 01-12-2007, 17:43   #137
God Member

How can they be sure the apology won't be lost in the post? And is it true that the letter contains your NI number? It would appear to me that if there are millions of these going out in the mail over the course of the next few days there are myriad opportunities for dodgy postmen to nick personal details.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 17:46   #138
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
And is it true that the letter contains your NI number?
Yes, and your child benefit number
Old 01-12-2007, 17:54   #139
God Member

I suspect some poor clerk found them in the bottom of his in tray and has ditched them super rapid

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 18:18   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
They probably are in alphabetical batches.
I find that my friends get their winter fuel payments on Mondays during November - and I am in the last 25% - so have to wait until the last Monday.
I wondered how it worked, we got ours on the 20th November, as we are in the last 25% as well.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 18:02   #141
God Member

Far be it for me to sound suspicious but this sounds like a cover up to me. If I were the minister in that department I would much prefer that word got out that the discs had been lost rather than some unscupulous person had sold the information.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 18:11   #142

i think its all a lie...........
why would social security office send really important information through royal mail first class post.
something just doesnt seem right to me
Old 02-12-2007, 18:33   #143
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: 15m bank details lost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen_firth View Post
i think its all a lie...........
why would social security office send really important information through royal mail first class post.
something just doesnt seem right to me
There is just one tiny inaccuracy in your statement.

The disks were apparently sent via internal mail and that was handled by TNT. But your major point is valid. Why entrust such sensitive and important information to a third party? Or if there was no real alternative then it should, at least, have been sent by Registered Mail. Not that that really guarantees safe passage. Just compensation if something gets lost.

But there was an alternative. Encrypt the data and send it via email.

There is more to this debacle than they are revealing and everybody from the top downwards is trying to distance themselves from any recriminations. Heads, and mean very senior heads, must roll without a golden goodbye and a hefty chop of their pension as an example to others.

But it won’t happen ‘cos they will just pass the buck around until it lands on some poor unfortunate clerk who was only doing what he was told to do or face the sack.
Old 02-12-2007, 20:01   #144
Passed away 25-11-09

I wouldn't be surprised if the discs are sitting on the desk of some individual who is either on leave or has left the service. I wonder if they've checked my old desk in Warrington?
Old 02-12-2007, 23:17   #145
God Member

In the current situation(s) I think we can make links to john majors paralysed government of 1992 onwards*

reserve right to change my mind about John Major as I'm currently reading up about him in order to give a presentation and so far he's quite a good PM.
Old 02-12-2007, 23:24   #146
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr View Post
In the current situation(s) I think we can make links to john majors paralysed government of 1992 onwards*

reserve right to change my mind about John Major as I'm currently reading up about him in order to give a presentation and so far he's quite a good PM.
good to see you reserving the right mate, anyone who gives Edwina Curry one deserves a second chance.
Old 02-12-2007, 23:35   #147
God Member

Failing any substance, that is what my essay will contain
Old 02-12-2007, 23:51   #148
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
....I'm a K.
I have heard you called a few things but never a K, maybe you could enlighten me.
Then again its been a while since I have anyone say bad things, you must have some new friends these days
Old 03-12-2007, 11:03   #149
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have heard you called a few things but never a K, maybe you could enlighten me.
Then again its been a while since I have anyone say bad things, you must have some new friends these days
K for Knight!!!!

And yes, I am mixing in new circles these days - must be the hair.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:48   #150
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

well I hope none of you lot are on witness proctection!!

looks like the identitys of those people are on that disk too
Witness Protection Details Lost With Child Benefit Discs |Sky News|Politics

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..