Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-11-2007, 14:46   #46
God Member

Re: 15m bank details lost!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
The true blame for this debacle should lie with the politicians and civil servants who decided to locate the IR office in Newcastle. Every person up there is a thicko of some sort; sticking a database like this in the snail mail is exactly what would be expected of them.
The National Insurance records HQ has been in the North East since at least 1950 !
The records of contributions paid by the whole nation were kept there and recorded manually in the days before computerisation.
I have great respect for the work ethic and intelligence of the people of the North East.
TEALEAF - stop the stirring

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-11-2007, 14:48   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
The National Insurance records HQ has been in the North East since at least 1950 !
Exactly. And that is why one in every two taxpayers in this country pay the wrong amount of tax.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 14:57   #48
God Member

Quote:
Exactly. And that is why one in every two taxpayers in this country pay the wrong amount of tax.
I refer to National Insurance Contribution records not tax records. Now that Inland Revenue have absorbed the Contributions Agency in recent years, along with all the other things like Tax credits and Vat, I do not know whether it now houses any of their HQ also.
It is logical to leave a large facility like that operational because it is in an area where jobs are scarce and people are willing to work for less than in London - where civil servants are given additional pay just to work there

Old 21-11-2007, 15:02   #49
God Member

Quote:
....people are willing to work for less than in London - where civil servants are given additional pay just to work there
People are given extra pay because the capital is a very expensive place to live. Anyway, civil servants may be employed by the state, but whether they work or not is a different matter. I doubt if the ones I know have ever done a decent day's work in their lives.
Old 21-11-2007, 15:11   #50
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
People are given extra pay because the capital is a very expensive place to live. Anyway, civil servants may be employed by the state, but whether they work or not is a different matter. I doubt if the ones I know have ever done a decent day's work in their lives.

No, of course, I used to go to work and do my knitting in between drinking endless cups of tea that got in the way of my feet when they were up on my desk, when I wasn't asleep.
Old 21-11-2007, 15:14   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
No, of course, I used to go to work and do my knitting in between drinking endless cups of tea that got in the way of my feet when they were up on my desk, when I wasn't asleep.
Well, you're honest enough to admit it. I admire that.
Old 21-11-2007, 15:15   #52
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Well, you're honest enough to admit it. I admire that.

Old 21-11-2007, 15:16   #53
God Member

The audits of individual office error rates were notoriously worse in the Home Counties for the whole time - 35 yrs - I was employed in MInistry of Pensions & National Insurance, National Assistance Board, Ministry of Social Security, Dept of Health & Social Security, Benefits Agency, Dept of Work and Pensions.

The frequent name changes are indicative of the frequency with which successive governments meddle with the administration for political reasons, and how civil servants have needed to absorb changes to working practices frequently.

Too much too fast has been loaded on to the Inland Revenue in recent times and has been accompanied by severe job cuts. The responsibilty for this fiasco lies in both this government and previous governments (tory and labour) who have used the Civil Service as a whipping boy to set low pay standards for the nation.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Voodoo.gif (1.6 KB, 38 views)

Old 21-11-2007, 15:20   #54
God Member

I'm glad the child benefit office is in Newcastle. My favourite female accent is Geordie ( after French that is ), shame they don't screw things up more often so I have to speak to them more
Old 21-11-2007, 15:23   #55
God Member

Quote:
I was employed in MInistry of Pensions & National Insurance, National Assistance Board, Ministry of Social Security, Dept of Health & Social Security, Benefits Agency, Dept of Work and Pensions.

The frequent name changes are indicative of the frequency with which successive governments meddle with the administration for political reasons, and how civil servants have needed to absorb changes to working practices frequently.

Nowt changes, does it? Civil Servants have always whinged just because various politicos have changed the name on the front door. After all, the complaining gives 'em summat do do in an otherwise uneventful day.
Old 21-11-2007, 15:30   #56
God Member

Quote:
Nowt changes, does it? Civil Servants have always whinged just because various politicos have changed the name on the front door. After all, the complaining gives 'em summat do do in an otherwise uneventful day.
Your capacity for tongue in cheek s**t stirring never ceases to amaze me

Old 21-11-2007, 15:32   #57
Senior Member+

i would imagine that civil servants are kept pretty busy with people complaining that they are not getting enough money?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 15:35   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
i would imagine that civil servants are kept pretty busy with people complaining that they are not getting enough money?
LOL - that's why we had bullet proof glass between you and us and carried personal alarms when such protection wasn't practical - lovely job at times

Old 21-11-2007, 16:08   #59
Senior Member+

i dont understand why people thinkit is your fault, like you personaly are in charge of decidig who gets money and how much.. and why on earth do they think shouting at you and treatening you is going to get them more money??

hey, if your getting free money, take it and dont complain!!!!! if you want more money... GET A JOB!! I was on benefits for 5 years and i worked part time (declared of course) as soon as my son was old enough to be left..... i understand that some ppl cant work and thats why theyare given more money..Pensions annoy me though.. why did i get free money and my rent and council tax paid, my grandad gets taxed (twice) on his pension and still has to pay rent and council tax... he worked and paid tax and nico... ridiculous!!!!!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2007, 16:21   #60
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
LOL - that's why we had bullet proof glass between you and us

Inland Revenue Enquiry Centres have never had that and, believe me, there were times when they should have. We used to have a Chinese "lady" who came into the Warrington office. Her English wasn't very good except when it came to swearing and obscenities, in which she was fluent, and she assaulted at least 2 members of staff. She was, eventually, banned from the premises so she would just open the door and spit on the carpet before leaving again. It wouldn't have been so bad but her queries, usually, had nothing to do with tax. She used to come to the tax office about her Council Tax, her Housing Benefit, her electricity bills, you name it......!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..