Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: £2 chucks
Yes please!!! 20 41.67%
urrggghh, no thanks! 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 20:38   #136
God Member

Re: £2 chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
have you ever been in actual shared student accomodation?

anyone who has will know that the fridge is a very scary place to visit and trust me in all the flats , shared houses i have been to occupied by students not one of the things in their fridges resembled organic food unless you class mould as a stable meal infact if things havnt changed most students use their uni cards to get discount at mcdonalds and live off whatever mcdonalds has to offer

education has jack sh it to do with how you eat , your either a bleeding heart liberal or you dont give damn

edit:

yes i know not all students live this way before somone pipes up on the behalf of the minority that can put a decent meal together
I have to admit, the lads I live with eat this way too, ready prepared trays of food and things like that. They do get their minced steak from the butchers but everything else is pretty unhealthy, they even had takeaway pizza everynight one week, and stacked the boxes up on the window sill, looks such a mess and they wouldnt let me recycle them. They did the same thing with beer cans.

I think girls are more caring about where their food comes from too, compared to boys. I know a few lads that buy all organic but it seems to be a more girly thing, I guess because a lot more girls are concerned with their diets and they have more compassion towards animals. This is obviously a broad generalisation but its ther impression I get from my social network.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-02-2008, 01:34   #137
God Member

if were talking nutritional value of foods , someone please explain to me the nutritional value of tripe .......
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:03   #138
God Member

Just Googled this for you -

Nutritionally, tripe has much to recommend itself, being high in protein and calcium and containing little fat and no carbohydrate. However, it does contain cholestrol.

Major nutrients:

(per 90 grm serve, stewed in milk)

energy: 370 kjs potassium: 90 mg
protein: 13 g calcium: 135 mg
fat: 4g phos: 80 mg
cholestrol: 145 mg iron: .6 mg
carbohydrate: . 0 zinc: 2 mg
sugar: 0 niacin: 2.1 mg

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:18   #139
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just Googled this for you -

Nutritionally, tripe has much to recommend itself, being high in protein and calcium and containing little fat and no carbohydrate. However, it does contain cholestrol.

Major nutrients:

(per 90 grm serve, stewed in milk)

energy: 370 kjs potassium: 90 mg
protein: 13 g calcium: 135 mg
fat: 4g phos: 80 mg
cholestrol: 145 mg iron: .6 mg
carbohydrate: . 0 zinc: 2 mg
sugar: 0 niacin: 2.1 mg
It could be the nectar of the Gods , but its still disgusting stuff , I vowed on leaving my parents house to get wed nearly 40 yrs ago that I would never eat that stuff again , and never have , it's as disgusting as that filipino duck (free range or not) egg thing Balut
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 02:30   #140
God Member

I have never eaten it either
(PM to you)
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:48   #141

I think its great to afford to have morals.

I also think that it would be great for every person alive to have the choice of buying a better cut of meat, rather than a cheaper alternative to feed their families.

Unfortunately, life is not like that, and the majority are just grateful to be able to put a meal on the table as oppose to worrying whether the chicken has had a nice life, sat watching a plasma all day whilst eating the 'caviar' of the chicken world.

At the end of the day, its not had a nice life, cos its sat on a dining table being eaten!

And to suggest that its only educated people that are concerned where the food comes from, is, to put it nicely, a load of twaddle.

I think its ironic that we can give more of a damn about the life an animal that is bred to be killed may have had, rather than the people that are eating them. Or is it just me that has, in the past, had to make every penny count to make sure everyone is my household is fed, watered, warm and so on?

Incidentally, I agree the treatment of battery hens is diabolical, and some farming methods are less than to be desired, but I for one, would prefer to lose some morals rather than starve
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:53   #142
Beacon of light

No, onlyme, you are not alone. I made this observation way back when this post was first started.
Some folk need to get a grip and live in the real world, the world where a lot of people have limited means to feed families, the world where you have to make a choice to be warm or to eat.......and I am not talking third world here......I am talking the UK.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 11:40   #143
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post

I haven't got a clue why you quoted my post for this reply. I was trying to clarify the research polly offered, not stating my opinion.
think it would be a good idea for polly to clarify it herself.
Old 10-02-2008, 17:52   #144
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

just a question....does anyone on here eat smart price chicken??,...I do! I get the fillets and just had some for my tea, and would just like to point out they tasted bloody good
Old 10-02-2008, 18:08   #145
Senior Member+

I wonder how many people who bleat about the price of chicken and its affordability as a justification for buying cheap birds, actually make the utmost use of the chicken?

Many people buy cheap chicken because they are on a tight budget, then only use the breast and the legs. The rest is thrown away, which is a complete waste of money in itself. There is a lot of meat on the underside of the bird, even more so on a properly reared chicken. The carcass can be used to make stocks, soups and risotto, but how many people do that?

I buy free range chickens and I'd never go back to eating that other stuff. I want food that has been grown/reared ethically and correctly, not some chemically enhanced rubbish that has been created purely for profit. To me, a chicken's life is worth more than £2-50 and if I can't afford it, then I'll do without.
Old 10-02-2008, 18:16   #146
Beacon of light

I am not a huge fan of chicken, but when I do buy it I use the carcass for the things you have said......if I only wanted breast or legs then that is what I would buy.....I wouldn't buy the whole chicken.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 19:41   #147
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillelagh View Post
How do you know that the chicken you have bought from Asda/Tesco/elsewhere has wee and poo burns on its legs? By the time you buy it from there its been plucked cleaned etc or you are buying breast fillets or legs on their own.
I don't buy chicken from Asda, I only buy it from the local butcher.

If you do buy battery chickens from the supermarket you can see the red poo burns on the flesh of the legs.
Old 10-02-2008, 19:46   #148
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

in reply to TM, the "Boss" uses every scorrack, the frame makes chicken broth. but think its more of an "age" thing, suspect most young uns dont.
Old 10-02-2008, 19:48   #149
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I don't buy chicken from Asda, I only buy it from the local butcher.

If you do buy battery chickens from the supermarket you can see the red poo burns on the flesh of the legs.
I am glad somebody mentioned asda, the meat at asda has slowly gone downhill, either that, or the meat at accrington isn't as good as the meat at rawtenstall, with minced beef for example, I always preferred the lean minced steak to the minced beef (big taste difference), but the lean minced steak is now no better than the normal mince used to be, off to the scotch beef shop again!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:59   #150
God Member

I rarely buy just chicken breast fillets. I buy a whole bird then butcher it myself. The legs and wings get roasted for picking on and if there is any meat left on the carcass it gets used to either make soup or I cut it off and cook it for the cat.

I also tend to buy boneless thigh meat from the chicken stall on Bburn market for use in curries etc as it has more flavour than breast meat but is just as tender when cooked properly. Its a bit like those people making beef curries with Rump steak, its false economy. You want a good tasty cut like shin or shoulder for that. Most of the problem is that people now don't realise what cuts of meat should be used for what.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..