Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: £2 chucks
Yes please!!! 20 41.67%
urrggghh, no thanks! 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2008, 23:24   #16
I am Banned

Re: £2 chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Hmmmm I actually dislike chicken, I throw it up, not sure if I can digest it or not, it’s never in there long enough to tell. Turkey though…I love it
yeah the thougth of eating chicken makes me feel queezy - i used to go to my mums every sunday and she used to make chicken in red wine sauce - i hated the sauce but could never bring myself to say so - maybe thats what put me off??
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-02-2008, 23:41   #17
Resting in Peace

Chicken and Red Wine!!!!! Give me a break.I may be common but even I know it's best with White Wine Sauce or failing that 10 pints of beer
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 23:43   #18
God Member

You aren't meant to eat chicken with red wine are you, i thought that was breaking the rules
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 23:47   #19
God Member

If you are paying $4.00 for a chicken you are getting ripped off .... the cost of living in England must be going thru the roof! Ah well, I remember the days when fish and chips was only a shilling, and they would throw in a couple of dabs.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 23:48   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
You aren't meant to eat chicken with red wine are you, i thought that was breaking the rules
Only in James Bond movies.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 23:53   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Only in James Bond movies.
I wish I understood the joke...
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 00:24   #22
Resting in Peace

Chickens 3 for £5 on Bolton Market- best cooked with lemon and garlic, never with red wine
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:06   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
No such thing as 'rules'.

Also Coq au Vin is probably THE classic chicken dish and its RED wine. Likewise Chicken Chasseur.

With regards to my post, as others have said all your takeaway chicken is cheap stuff. When its curried/flavoured can you actually tell the difference, no way. The original point of using spices in food is to disguise the poor quality meat that was available.

Plain roast chuck? I bet no one can tell either by taste alone. By the time its has salt and pepper and been roasted with a little butter and garlic.

So that makes it down to the conditions they are grown in.

Hugh F-W went out of his way to follow the industry standards in rearing them for his experiment and one of the things that upset him the most wasn't the conditions they lived in but the fact that if a bird showed ANY signs of illness or disability it was killed there and then and not left lying around in the muck for days on end to ensure it didn't affect teh rest of teh birds.

I'm maybe fortunate that I can seperate the idea of an animal living for pleasure(Pets) from the animal being raised for food. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that an animal is killed so I can have a nice tea when I get in. If I had to kill it myself I would.
When I've had to have pets put down I get upset and I'm not adverse to shedding a tear but animals for food? they are just a means to an end.

When I bought my full lamb from the farmer it came literally as two halves for me to butcher. We showed it to Siobhan as we have always made the connection between teh food on her plate and the animals in the fields. Look at that lovely Moo Cow and equally, isn't it a lovely Moo cow pie). They are piggy butties etc. She wasn't bothered by it and I hope she continues to understand that food on her table comes from somewhere.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:11   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
isn't it a lovely Moo cow pie
I hope she does not think you can eat cow pies. She might get a shock if she picks one up in a field and takes a bite
Old 07-02-2008, 08:32   #25
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

dont know what the problem is, if it looks alright then why not, all chickens taste the same to me, whether its free range or not, I always used to get the £2 ones from asda and they are no different than the ones they stock now at nearly £4.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:43   #26
Resting in Peace

Sorry not for me I'm more of a beef man myself
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:44   #27
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

to tell ya the truth jaysay, i prefer prawns....LOL
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I hope she does not think you can eat cow pies. She might get a shock if she picks one up in a field and takes a bite
Thats a COW PAT mate

Perhaps your parents were having a joke on you

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:46   #29
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as someone famous once said- Frankly i dont give a damn, i like it n dont give a rats where it comes from long as it tastes ok. its FOOD were talking about, ya EAT it. theres far more serious issues in life to bother about.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49   #30
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
as someone famous once said- Frankly i dont give a damn, i like it n dont give a rats where it comes from long as it tastes ok. its FOOD were talking about, ya EAT it. theres far more serious issues in life to bother about.
exactly

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..