Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: £2 chucks
Yes please!!! 20 41.67%
urrggghh, no thanks! 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 17:33   #46
Beacon of light

Re: £2 chickens

So perhaps Blazey you would choose to starve???
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2008, 17:34   #47
Beacon of light

Pensioners in this country are the poorest in Europe.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:39   #48
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Thats a COW PAT mate

Perhaps your parents were having a joke on you
lol oh dear i do see you two in a new light now

anyway - i think they can be called pies/patties/cakes. Knowing my sense of humour somebody lent us a book called "who shat that" funny title but a very informative book and it had several names for cowpats.
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:45   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
So perhaps Blazey you would choose to starve???
You can live without chicken. So no I wouldn't starve.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:47   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
You can live without chicken. So no I wouldn't starve.

That will save me £15 next time you decide you want to go to the kfc
Tombraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 17:48   #51
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombraider View Post
That will save me £15 next time you decide you want to go to the kfc
It wasn't KFC, it was Caledonia.

And yes people I do still eat takeaways although it isn't necessarily free range chicken. Just not too often!
Old 07-02-2008, 18:24   #52

Blazey, why do you always think that your opinion is correct and everyone else is wrong?

Maybe in 20 years time when you have more experience of life you will, possibly be more qualified to comment about whether people, can or can not afford to spend more on food.

Your example of the cost of eggs , does this refer to the price of 6 eggs or 12 eggs. If it is 6 eggs 50p difference might not seem very much, but if you have a family you might go through 24 eggs a week, meaning that you woyuld have to find an extra £2.00 per week - which would mean you had to cut back on your spending for something else. Maybe you would like to suggest what they could save the £2.00 on.

And in case you want to know, I buy free range eggs from a local farm (which is why I have no idea how much eggs are in shops), costing £1.50 for 12 at the moment.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 18:29   #53
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: £2 chickens

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
Blazey, why do you always think that your opinion is correct and everyone else is wrong?

Maybe in 20 years time when you have more experience of life you will, possibly be more qualified to comment about whether people, can or can not afford to spend more on food.

Your example of the cost of eggs , does this refer to the price of 6 eggs or 12 eggs. If it is 6 eggs 50p difference might not seem very much, but if you have a family you might go through 24 eggs a week, meaning that you woyuld have to find an extra £2.00 per week - which would mean you had to cut back on your spending for something else. Maybe you would like to suggest what they could save the £2.00 on.

And in case you want to know, I buy free range eggs from a local farm (which is why I have no idea how much eggs are in shops), costing £1.50 for 12 at the moment.
Would this be a clue?
Snob noun 1 a person who has an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth and who looks down on those regarded as socially inferior. 2 a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to others.
Old 07-02-2008, 18:32   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Would this be a clue?
Snob noun 1 a person who has an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth and who looks down on those regarded as socially inferior. 2 a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to others.
Just because I dont agree with something doesn't make me a snob. Also i'm from a socially inferior group, so definition number 1 can't be true. I dont HAVE to agree with buying cheap, eroded chickens and their nutrition starved eggs.
Old 07-02-2008, 18:34   #55
God Member

So you are all batting that we must pay extra for ethically produced chicken. But wouldn't you then be a hipocrite to by say Nesle products or buy Shell fuel or spend a penny on non fair trade coffee or ....

You see the whole thing about 'ethical' products are you take one step and its a slippery slope to rack and ruin. If you want to start spouting ethical make sure ALL your food investments/fuel/clothes/ in fact EVERY part of your life is ethical or your just paying lip service to the whole ting which in my book makes you worse than someone who stands up and says they can clear it in their conscience.

So stand up and be counted or shut up and put up, are you 'ethical' or not

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 18:41   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
So you are all batting that we must pay extra for ethically produced chicken. But wouldn't you then be a hipocrite to by say Nesle products or buy Shell fuel or spend a penny on non fair trade coffee or ....

You see the whole thing about 'ethical' products are you take one step and its a slippery slope to rack and ruin. If you want to start spouting ethical make sure ALL your food investments/fuel/clothes/ in fact EVERY part of your life is ethical or your just paying lip service to the whole ting which in my book makes you worse than someone who stands up and says they can clear it in their conscience.

So stand up and be counted or shut up and put up, are you 'ethical' or not
I dont buy fuel, cereals or tea/coffee, I dont even use sugar or salt. I shop for all my food at the butchers or at the market, and if I cant buy what I need from there I will reluctantly spend more money at the Spar. The thing is, shopping costs me more at the supermarket, so I cant understand the price problem.

I obviously buy clothes and I dont research into wear it came from, but I am disgusted by companies like Topshop that have their clothes made by cheap foreign labour abroad for unfair prices. Most of my clothes have come from the charity shop.
Old 07-02-2008, 18:44   #57
God Member

I specifically go to Sainsburys to buy my eggs because they sell Woodland trust eggs which come from hens that have been brought up amongst trees and natural surroundings.

The Woodland Trust

They cost quite a bit more than ordinary eggs but I believe you can taste the difference in the yolks.

I also used to work in the vegetable shop that used to be on union road, some of you may have been there. We used to sell natural eggs brought in from locals and we got goose eggs once, absolutely gorgeous.
Old 07-02-2008, 19:01   #58

I do not and would not buy chicken full stop. I certainly would not buy two pound chickens.

Whilst so much of this country is obese and overweight I can see no justification for exploiting animals. Mos t of us would benefit from eating less, therefore we can afford to spend more on food that has been responsibly produced and consume less.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 19:01   #59
God Member

Thats fine now whilst you haven't got 40 hours work then to come home to run a house and kids etc. If you can honestly put your hand on your heart and tell me that you will only buy electricity from ethical comapnies, buy petrol etc from ethical companies, buy clothes from ethical suppliers FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE then fair enough. I do however reserve teh right to not believe a word of it as its not going to happen. I happen to know a lady who went massively out of her way to shop ethically for everything and even she admitted she could probably only hit 50-60% of what she would like to. Its just not possible.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 19:05   #60
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

yer much more eloquent than me ian, i call it bullsh1t its easier.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..