Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: £2 chucks
Yes please!!! 20 41.67%
urrggghh, no thanks! 28 58.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2008, 19:27   #61
Beacon of light

Re: £2 chickens

Perhaps I could loan you some Brasso for your halo Blazey.

Ian has put the case for ethical products very succinctly.

In the real world, the world which most of us inhabit, we buy the food that our budget allows, with personal taste and cultural(maybe even religious) constraints taken into consideration.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2008, 19:37   #62
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Perhaps I could loan you some Brasso for your halo Blazey.

Ian has put the case for ethical products very succinctly.

In the real world, the world which most of us inhabit, we buy the food that our budget allows, with personal taste and cultural(maybe even religious) constraints taken into consideration.
Yes exactly, and I prefer to eat something that hasn't lived its life walking in its own waste. My budget allows it and it tastes better.

I think what most people really mean is that they couldnt give a damn what sort of life the animals had.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 19:44   #63
God Member

I'd bet you couldn't tell £2 chicken from £10 chicken if I cook them equally.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 19:49   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I'd bet you couldn't tell £2 chicken from £10 chicken if I cook them equally.
I probably couldn't because I am not a chicken fan, I prefer chops. And I dont pay a lot for meat as my butcher sells quality meat at good prices. I haven't even ever paid more than £2 for chicken because I only buy a few diced pieces to put in curry.

More of a red meat fan.
Old 07-02-2008, 19:57   #65
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Yes exactly, and I prefer to eat something that hasn't lived its life walking in its own waste. My budget allows it and it tastes better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey
I haven't even ever paid more than £2 for chicken because I only buy a few diced pieces to put in curry.
So it tastes better but you only eat it in curries. make your mind up love. either you buy it for its taste or you cover its taste up with spices.

hole and digging, me thinks

Old 07-02-2008, 20:00   #66
God Member

can you actually buy chickens for £2?
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 20:02   #67
God Member

yes, Tesco have dropped teh price of their 1.4 kg birds to £1.99.

Old 07-02-2008, 20:04   #68
God Member

Quote:
So it tastes better but you only eat it in curries. make your mind up love. either you buy it for its taste or you cover its taste up with spices.

hole and digging, me thinks
I was referring more to the taste of eggs, but the more expensive chicken tends to have a better texture, though I have only bought one portion of chicken at university and that was diced. Good chicken can be tasted through spices though.
Old 07-02-2008, 20:04   #69
God Member

Quote:
asda are even cheaper apparently
Old 07-02-2008, 20:15   #70
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I was referring more to the taste of eggs, but the more expensive chicken tends to have a better texture, though I have only bought one portion of chicken at university and that was diced. Good chicken can be tasted through spices though.
Rubbish. I'm a qualified chef and I guarantee you can give me the best chicken in teh world and the cheapest and curried you won't be able to taste a diference even in texture. Its how you cook it that counts.

I also love quality food but I'm not snobby enough to pretend there is a difference in teh real world.

get over it and move on. It makes no difference to me that you are happy to spend more to feel comfortable inside but as I posted before take a long hard look at teh rest of your life as well

Old 07-02-2008, 20:18   #71
God Member

Quote:
Is 1.4kg actually classed as a chicken ? Sounds more like a sparrow
Old 07-02-2008, 20:26   #72
God Member

Quote:
Rubbish. I'm a qualified chef and I guarantee you can give me the best chicken in teh world and the cheapest and curried you won't be able to taste a diference even in texture. Its how you cook it that counts.

I also love quality food but I'm not snobby enough to pretend there is a difference in teh real world.

get over it and move on. It makes no difference to me that you are happy to spend more to feel comfortable inside but as I posted before take a long hard look at teh rest of your life as well
I dont spend more on chicken, and I only spend a bit more on eggs. The majority of the poll have also said they wont touch the cheap chicken with a barge pole. You shouldn't have to be a qualified chef to get the best out of cheap chicken. Its lived in its own filth which is the main problem, it doesnt really matter how it tastes, I wont support it.

As for the rest of my life, there's nothing wrong with my life. What would you know.
Old 07-02-2008, 20:33   #73
God Member

lancsdave, its ~3 lb in weight which is enough for a decent meal

Blazey, you live your live as you like but I bet its not anywhere near ethical like you keep spouting.

Old 07-02-2008, 20:36   #74
God Member

Quote:
lancsdave, its ~3 lb in weight which is enough for a decent meal

Blazey, you live your live as you like but I bet its not anywhere near ethical like you keep spouting.
The only thing bad is the amount of paper I get through. But it all gets recycled so I guess it isn't all that bad.

Find me something really unethical that I must do and I will apologise, but until then I will stand by my opinions. Just like the other 20+ people who dont eat cheap meat.
Old 07-02-2008, 21:04   #75
Beacon of light

What you should say blazey is that they say they don't eat /wouldn't eat £2 chickens......and one of those has said he dislikes the seller so maybe that is why he won't buy them.......and I bet those folk who say now that they wouldn't buy cheap food, would do if their circumstances were such that they could afford nothing else.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..