Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree65Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-12-2021, 08:40   #46
Beacon of light

Re: 2021 Neologisms

Yes I know that sprouts are part of the brassica family….and yes I know you can eat them raw…but why would you?

Not going to be having them al dente again…in fact I think that maybe I have eaten my last ever sprout.

Oh yes…did you know that sprouts are also part of the mustard family?

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 27-12-2021 at 08:43.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-12-2021, 08:52   #47

Dave, do bratties come from Bratislava?
DaveinGermany likes this.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 08:58   #48
God Member

[QUOTE=Margaret Pilkington;1261742]Yes I know that sprouts are part of the brassica family….and yes I know you can eat them raw…but why would you?

Not going to be having them al dente again…in fact I think that maybe I have eaten my last ever sprout.

go to some restaurants nowadays and everything seems uncooked for me. the main reason we both stay clear of eating out nowadays apart from in little cafes where things are cooked to our taste. i do not want quarter cooked veg or meat that is half raw, just sick of arguments with waiters and sending stuff back for them to finish the cooking.
taddy likes this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 09:17   #49
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Since when has Brussels been in France? is this another European conspiricy?
And here's me thinking that you were a man of the world Dave.
I most certainly am my dear Tadmeister, the "Froggit" I was referring to was of course the phrase "hors d'oeuvre", which of course you know means a small savoury / starter / nibble

Furthermore to your question of Brussels being in France, for a short period under Napoleon the 1st it was (see below), that was until "Nosey" (Arthur Wellesly 1st Duke of Wellington) & his forces showed "Boney" his own hoop at Quatre Bras (Belgium) then on the 18th June 1815 at Waterloo. Brussels then became a part of the "United Kingdom of the Netherlands"

Following the Brabant Revolution (1789–90) against the government of Holy Roman emperor Joseph II, the French republican armies made their appearance, and the Belgian principalities were annexed to France. During the Napoleonic era, Brussels was reduced to the rank of chief town of the French département of the Dyle, losing in addition all authority over its satellite villages. (See French revolutionary and Napoleonic wars.)

The above paragraph was taken from Britannica.com, although I did have a broad idea of the military implications & power struggles in europe at this time.

Every day a schoolday on here mate, we're never to old to learn something new or at least review what we already thought we knew.
taddy likes this.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 27-12-2021 at 09:19.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 09:28   #50
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddy View Post
Dave, do bratties come from Bratislava?

Not to my knowledge bud, but I'm pretty sure they'll have a sossy equivalent to the famed "Deutsche Bratty". On my travels I have been to Slovakia (delivering to the Skoda works) & was in Bratislava, got there late & left early so didn't get the chance to socialize or mooch unfortunately.
Old 27-12-2021, 10:44   #51
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
got there late & left early so didn't get the chance to socialize or mooch unfortunately.
I think perhaps you should be grateful….these foreign places are full of foreign ‘muck’ food.
I have a list of foods that I have looked at….some of them I was daft enough to try(and was too polite to spit out)….but will never make that mistake again.
Haggis falls into that category….spouts are a new addition.
I get this trait from my dear late father..
Old 27-12-2021, 10:47   #52
Beacon of light

I have come to the conclusion that chocolate is Gods apology for sprouts, broccoli and kippers.
Old 27-12-2021, 10:53   #53
God Member

belgium did not exist till 1830 after a revolution from the controlling dutch who only took control after the napolionic wars. an odd country really with half speaking one language and the other a different one.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 11:04   #54
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think perhaps you should be grateful….these foreign places are full of foreign ‘muck’ food.

Ah, but some of that "foreign muck" can be surprisingly pleasant, just so long as you get fair warning beforehand as to what it contains. Added to that, my curiosity would already have killed about 117 cats by now but here I am, still living & breathing.
Old 27-12-2021, 11:08   #55
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
belgium did not exist till 1830 after a revolution from the controlling dutch who only took control after the napolionic wars.

Just as well it does exist (strange though they are) or where else could we go to give the "Germings" a damned good thrashing when they start getting uppity again?
Old 27-12-2021, 11:23   #56
Beacon of light

Quote:
Ah, but some of that "foreign muck" can be surprisingly pleasant, just so long as you get fair warning beforehand as to what it contains. Added to that, my curiosity would already have killed about 117 cats by now but here I am, still living & breathing.

Nope...I am not buying it.
My foray into such territory has left a nasty taste in my mouth...and yes it WAS from Food.
Old 27-12-2021, 12:00   #57
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Just as well it does exist (strange though they are) or where else could we go to give the "Germings" a damned good thrashing when they start getting uppity again?
Aye, the Wembley Stadium of all things conflictual, 'They think the war is over, Boom, it is now!'
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 15:16   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Perhaps instead you would prefer a good old English Bacon & egg breakfast
with just a touch of baked beans?

Asian, Asian & South American. I think we'd starve without foreign muck.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 27-12-2021, 16:06   #59
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Perhaps instead you would prefer a good old English Bacon & egg breakfast
with just a touch of baked beans?

Asian, Asian & South American. I think we'd starve without foreign muck.
am sure i would not. you may less but not this kid.
Old 27-12-2021, 16:18   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
am sure i would not. you may less but not this kid.
Cashy you might just, we all eat muck that originated on foreign shores we've just adapted it to our own tastes.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..