Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 07:27   #1
God Member

20mph speed limits

Now here's an idea I can get behind. PB has said in today's paper (Telegraph) that he wants the speed limit on a lot of roads reducing to 20mph.

I think this is a good idea.

I'm not sure it would work on main roads like Blackburn Road or Union Road, but definitely think it should be considered on roads like Fielding Lane or New Lane and certainly on very built up residential areas.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-09-2009, 07:35   #2
God Member

Re: 20mph speed limits

I would go further than this and make every street (housing estates etc, not main streets) 20mph, I would be concerned about it having any effect though, the idiots come down my street at a good 40mph sometimes.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:31   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I agree with 20mph roads where there are houses but you can't do it on every road with a house. New Lane would not be a good 20 limit IMHO because it is one of the main roads into Ossy since the M65 extension was completed. Around all the terraced streets and housing estates yes. Union road would be another one that should stay at 30. I drive at 30 along Union Road and feel it is ok - many other don't, they are the problem.

We should not just reduce the limit from 30 to 20 so cars will drive at 30 though. We need to enforce the 30 limits where they are appropriate.

There are some 20 mph areas in Accrington and Blackburn - they tend to be in areas where parents don't care enough to not let their 3 year olds play on the road by themselves.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:34   #4
Resting in Peace

I agree about ordinary streets being 20mph but it would be hard to restrict the main thoroughfares such as New Lane and Union Road
Old 05-09-2009, 08:36   #5
Resting in Peace

Ours is one of the streets blocked off from Blackburn road but when cars turn into it they try and see if they can reach 60 before they reach the other end and there are lots of kids play in the street
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:00   #6
Senior Member+

I think my street should be 20mph. There is a high school and speed bumps on my street but that doesnt seem to stop them flying up and down it. Even the suicidal school kids that wander out into the road doesnt seem to slow them down.
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:26   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree with 20mph roads where there are houses but you can't do it on every road with a house. New Lane would not be a good 20 limit IMHO because it is one of the main roads into Ossy since the M65 extension was completed. Around all the terraced streets and housing estates yes. Union road would be another one that should stay at 30. I drive at 30 along Union Road and feel it is ok - many other don't, they are the problem.

We should not just reduce the limit from 30 to 20 so cars will drive at 30 though. We need to enforce the 30 limits where they are appropriate.

There are some 20 mph areas in Accrington and Blackburn - they tend to be in areas where parents don't care enough to not let their 3 year olds play on the road by themselves.

We have a 20 limit in parts of Peel Ward. We brought it in a few years ago ,and it works quite well. There is always the exception of course some drivers don't take any notice.

Some of the traffic problems we have in the town are not just related to speed. Blackburn Rd was mentioned, there is more illegal parking on there than there's ever been in my opinion. The Council needs to tackle that as well.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:31   #8
Resting in Peace

Bernard check this thread about bad parking on Blackburn road hehe
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...oad-46265.html
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 09:35   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Some of the traffic problems we have in the town are not just related to speed. Blackburn Rd was mentioned, there is more illegal parking on there than there's ever been in my opinion. The Council needs to tackle that as well.
So as part of the Council what do you intend to do to sort out the problems with the illegal parking on Blackburn Road that you are obviously aware of?
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Bernard check this thread about bad parking on Blackburn road hehe
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...oad-46265.html

I was aware of it. But I was at the meeting the other night that Gayle referred to, and the problems on Blackburn Rd were also mentioned as well the speed limits.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:52   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

in theory its good, in practice many ignore the 30 mph that in force now, its same as mobile phones that many STILL use when driving, a load of "Hot Air" that will NOT be enforced.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:53   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
So as part of the Council what do you intend to do to sort out the problems with the illegal parking on Blackburn Road that you are obviously aware of?
The powers are already there Neil to do something about the problem. I'm not being political, but I honestly don't know why we as Council are not doing more to deal with it.

Apologies for the thread wander.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:23   #13
Resting in Peace

Quote:
We have a 20 limit in parts of Peel Ward. We brought it in a few years ago ,and it works quite well. There is always the exception of course some drivers don't take any notice.

Are these speed limits official Bernard, in other words if the police see some one breaking them can they get done, or are they just there as a reminder or a deterrent
Old 05-09-2009, 10:28   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I was aware of it. But I was at the meeting the other night that Gayle referred to, and the problems on Blackburn Rd were also mentioned as well the speed limits.
I think that this is something that everybody could work together on Bernard, you can't really make this political from any angle
Old 05-09-2009, 10:58   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Are these speed limits official Bernard, in other words if the police see some one breaking them can they get done, or are they just there as a reminder or a deterrent
As far as know there enforceable. But you're relying mainly on People's common sense to observe the speed limit.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..