Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Have you seen mr Fox (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/have-you-seen-mr-fox-22570.html)

jaysay 26-06-2006 17:36

Have you seen mr Fox

Saw somethging you don't see often in Ossy on Staturday Night. About 10. 15pm I was in my kitchen looking down Merlin Drive, when all at once Basils mate came darting up the road, I've seen plenty of Rabits and hedgehogs around Merlin and Mallard, but this is the first time I've seen a fox. seen them further out going up towards the pens and playing fields, but not so close to the road, anyone else seen foxy around Ossy.

panther 26-06-2006 18:26

Re: Have you seen mr Fox

awww nice to know we have em in ossy!! would love to see one!

lettie 26-06-2006 18:50

Haven't seen a fox in ages. Interestingly there was an article on NW news a few weeks ago about foxes being seen increasingly in urban areas. Funnily enough, the last one I saw was just outside of the city centre in Manchester...:)

Doug 26-06-2006 19:06

I can remember hearing them at night when we where kids up Fern Gore, but I don't ever recall seeing any.

We have a couple up here where I live at Bispham. They occupy an area around the College where I walk the Dog and can be seen most nights. The closest I’ve got to one is about 30 foot. I don’t know which one of us gave way first but we seemed to just stand looking at each other for ages then it looked left and right and then just trotted off in the opposite direction. A lovely feeling.

katex 26-06-2006 19:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug
I can remember hearing them at night when we where kids up Fern Gore, but I don't ever recall seeing any.

We have a couple up here where I live at Bispham. They occupy an area around the College where I walk the Dog and can be seen most nights. The closest I’ve got to one is about 30 foot. I don’t know which one of us gave way first but we seemed to just stand looking at each other for ages then it looked left and right and then just trotted off in the opposite direction. A lovely feeling.

Have seen one occasionally walking across my garden and down around the lodge; suspected it was 'he/she' who were snatching all the ducklings, but this could be the Magpies. This is in Clayton, of course.

Doug 26-06-2006 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
Have seen one occasionally walking across my garden and down around the lodge; suspected it was 'he/she' who were snatching all the ducklings, but this could be the Magpies. This is in Clayton, of course.

Gulls love Ducklings. They eat then whole which is fortunate I suppose if you’re a duckling…?

West Ender 26-06-2006 20:04

We have a lot of them round here, being more or less in the country, and they used to like to go on a dustbin raid at night, before wheelie-bins came in. They could knock a dustbin lid off, no trouble, and have a good root round in the bin for titbits. They still pop into gardens from time to time and have been known to raid bird-tables.

My parents used to live on Livesey Branch Rd in Feniscowles and the houses opposite theirs were a bit lower down the hillside. One day I looked out of their sitting room window and on the flat roof of the garage across the road was a fox curled up, fast asleep in the sun. Not too surprising, considering there were moors right behind my parents' house, but it showed how urbanised foxes have become. I believe there are now more foxes in towns than in the country.

We also had one at my office some years ago. This was before we moved into the centre of Warrington but it was still in a busy, built-up area. There was a portakabin next to the main building and the poor thing ran under it to hide. It was very thin and a bit shaky so we called the RSPCA. The officer managed to catch it, with the help of me and another woman, but when we rang them later that day they said they had had to put it to sleep as it had been poisoned.

I know they are classed as vermin and a lot of farmers hate them but they are beautiful and intelligent animals, just trying to make a living. I'd like to bet there are dozens of them roaming the streets of Ossy at night, they're just too wiley to let you see them.

Gayle 26-06-2006 20:21

I live down by the nature reserve. On the very first day when we moved in about five years ago, it was winter, and we went for a stroll in the early evening when it was dark. As we walked out of the door we looked down the road to the nature reserve entrance and there was one just stood there looking at us. It looked very calm, almost as if it was assessing us as new neighbours.

Every now and then we hear noises in the reserve which are clearly the ducks being worried by the fox family.

Margaret Pilkington 26-06-2006 20:27

When I was a student nurse (many years ago) and travelled to Blackburn on the bus, I frequently saw foxes in the fields near where the Daisy Dairy used to be.

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2006 21:32

A while ago there was one in our old binhole where the bin used to go before we got wheelies.

Tinkerbelle 26-06-2006 21:47

I was seeing slinky to the door one morning, just before dawn, and there was one stood on the track down to the riding school. Just had a quick look at us and then it was off.

There was also a dead one that was thrown on the park near us. It was a sorry sight to see, someone had cruelly thrown it onto the roof of some climbing equipment. :( I wasn't best pleased!

Madhatter 26-06-2006 22:47

Used to see loads at night on my travels, things are everywhere.

garinda 26-06-2006 23:42

I've seen them on the Hey's playing field in Ossy, but that's quite rare.

My garden in London was a foxes killing field. The cocky little devils would bring back birds to pluck and eat. They also used to sit on my windowsill and not even move if I banged on the window and pulled a face. They just stared back with a look which said 'fox off'.

andrewb 27-06-2006 02:46

I saw a fox running up manchester road about 2hours ago around 2am :D

sarah 29-06-2006 01:57

I too have seen foxes in Manchester City Centre when I was still living over that way.