Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Taxed. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/taxed-23521.html)

shakermaker 21-08-2006 12:49

Re: Taxed.

morgan_brotherz, I know that the £100 bonus wouldn't all be spent on pens & paper.
That's obvious.
My point was that things such as clothes & shoes would need to be bought around christmas (especially expensive when at 6th form grammar schools with a dress code like mine) - you know aswellas I that teenagers' growth spurts are annoying & unprecedented and clothes that could have fit when bought in the summer would not in the new year.
& whereas your household could afford to replace these essentials without a grant, many could not.

I agree that the grants should be made to be used for college stuff, eg bus fares, lunches etc.
I too get annoyed at people who abuse the grant for personal/un-work related use.

garinda 21-08-2006 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker
morgan_brotherz, I know that the £100 bonus wouldn't all be spent on pens & paper.
That's obvious.
My point was that things such as clothes & shoes would need to be bought around christmas (especially expensive when at 6th form grammar schools with a dress code like mine) - you know aswellas I that teenagers' growth spurts are annoying & unprecedented and clothes that could have fit when bought in the summer would not in the new year.
& whereas your household could afford to replace these essentials without a grant, many could not.

I agree that the grants should be made to be used for college stuff, eg bus fares, lunches etc.
I too get annoyed at people who abuse the grant for personal/un-work related use.

I'm told there are exercises you can do which will stunt your growth, and thus save youngsters money.:D

andrewb 21-08-2006 22:46

What are they? I need to follow them in reverse... lol

shakermaker 21-08-2006 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
I'm told there are exercises you can do which will stunt your growth, and thus save youngsters money.:D

Bit late mate I'm 6"1 and still going!!

I've even resorted to making extra cash by renting out my legs to Cyfr at weekends :D

andrewb 22-08-2006 00:44

Yeah I knew my EMA would come in good for something...!

CusCus 23-08-2006 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
Hey, that's an extremely good point, however, believe you should be paying tax as you get the benefit of the services provided by this tax (you already admitted this, so no argument there). On the flip side, you do not have the benefit of voting for someone who would be involved in laying down the tax laws. Like it ... have some karma. xx

Not relevant.

"No taxation without representation" is a basic tenet of modern democracy.

Large sections of society can't vote but are major users of public services

garinda 23-08-2006 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by CusCus
Large sections of society can't vote but are major users of public services

Such as prisoners.:D

CusCus 23-08-2006 12:20

Quote:

Such as prisoners.:D

and the insane
and immigrants
and the young

garinda 23-08-2006 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by CusCus
and the insane
and immigrants
and the young

Don't forget Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II.

Neil 23-08-2006 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
I actually worked out that I probably pay £6.90 a DAY in tax purely to get to and from work!

(car tax, VAT on fuel, Insurance tax, VAT on tyres/exhausts etc)

Actually I paid pretty much zero income tax last year due to some very nice tax efficient investments(40% relief on the whole investment)

You actually spent time working that out, you need more hobbies ( or more work to do at work :D )

pendy 25-08-2006 12:24

It's true that the only things certain in life are death and taxes. The more you earn, the more you pay. Sadly, as Lettie says, there are and always will be those who will not pay because they won't work. So those of us who are conscientious have to pay their share as well.

Complaining that it isn't fair is not productive. Life isn't fair. Live with it.

SPUGGIE J 25-08-2006 12:32

You forgot those that earn loads of dosh and pay very little tax. We are paying theirs as well.

morgan_brotherz 25-08-2006 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendy
It's true that the only things certain in life are death and taxes. The more you earn, the more you pay. Sadly, as Lettie says, there are and always will be those who will not pay because they won't work. So those of us who are conscientious have to pay their share as well.

Complaining that it isn't fair is not productive. Life isn't fair. Live with it.

I seriously hope your message wasnt aimed at me? Because if you actually read my first post you would see that I clearly stated that I am NOT complaining!

garinda 25-08-2006 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
I seriously hope your message wasnt aimed at me? Because if you actually read my first post you would see that I clearly stated that I am NOT complaining!

Stop complaining about not complaining.:D

katex 25-08-2006 17:55

Quote:

Stop complaining about not complaining.:D

And you .. stop complaining about people complaining about not complaining .. did I get that right ?