Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Taxed. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/taxed-23521.html)

morgan_brotherz 13-08-2006 21:02

Taxed.

17.. and Ive just started being taxed every week. (NOTE: I am not complaining. I dont mind paying the tax!) Paying £6.90 a week to a Government I am not even eligble to vote for. I think if you are taxed, you should have the right to vote. Or am I being silly?

entwisi 13-08-2006 21:04

Re: Taxed.

:D, I wish my tax bill was £6.90 a week!!!!!!!

katex 13-08-2006 21:14

Hey, that's an extremely good point, however, believe you should be paying tax as you get the benefit of the services provided by this tax (you already admitted this, so no argument there). On the flip side, you do not have the benefit of voting for someone who would be involved in laying down the tax laws. Like it ... have some karma. xx

morgan_brotherz 13-08-2006 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
:D, I wish my tax bill was £6.90 a week!!!!!!!

Haha.. Yeah, like I said Im not complaining, suppose I will be when im paying a lot more lol. :rolleyes:

morgan_brotherz 13-08-2006 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex
Hey, that's an extremely good point, however, believe you should be paying tax as you get the benefit of the services provided by this tax (you already admitted this, so no argument there). On the flip side, you do not have the benefit of voting for someone who would be involved in laying down the tax laws. Like it ... have some karma. xx

OooOoo.. thanks :D

katex 13-08-2006 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by morgan_brotherz
Haha.. Yeah, like I said Im not complaining, suppose I will be when im paying a lot more lol. :rolleyes:

Ignore him ... he's just bragging that he is a high earner. :rolleyes:

morgan_brotherz 13-08-2006 21:30

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...-Am-Here-4.gif

andrewb 13-08-2006 21:43

Full time education rocks :p

I can fill in a form at my bank, to get a total of £6 tax back.. yay..! :|

entwisi 14-08-2006 06:23

I actually worked out that I probably pay £6.90 a DAY in tax purely to get to and from work!

(car tax, VAT on fuel, Insurance tax, VAT on tyres/exhausts etc)

Actually I paid pretty much zero income tax last year due to some very nice tax efficient investments(40% relief on the whole investment)

lettie 14-08-2006 08:53

You are lucky to be paying so little tax from your wage. My tax deduction makes me wince every month..:( As your wage and tax deduction increases you may start to feel embittered by the fact that your hard earned tax is paying for the same services for people who don't want to work and pass that shirk ethic on to their kids. You will not mind your tax going to people who genuinely can't work for medical reasons, you will not mind contributing to the care of the elderly, but the lazy gits out there, with no medical problems, who know their way around the system and claim for everything will really get up your nose..... Welcome to the world of the tax payer..:D

cashman 14-08-2006 12:41

Quote:

17.. and Ive just started being taxed every week. (NOTE: I am not complaining. I dont mind paying the tax!) Paying £6.90 a week to a Government I am not even eligble to vote for. I think if you are taxed, you should have the right to vote. Or am I being silly?

makes a change for a young un not to be complaining, and i think its an extremly good point, also some of our unfortunate young uns,may get killed/injured in the forces abroad and they may well be to young to vote! to me theres summat wrong here.

Tealeaf 14-08-2006 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman
makes a change for a young un not to be complaining, and i think its an extremly good point, also some of our unfortunate young uns,may get killed/injured in the forces abroad and they may well be to young to vote! to me theres summat wrong here.

Errr......not quite. Although a youngster can join the forces at 16 (junior level), and at 17 1/2 senior level, they now have to be 18 before they can be deployed in an operational theatre (Iraq, 'Gan,)

The wider debate is why we are now having to pay the amount of taxes (both direct & indirect) that we have to do and to what extent is a) the money well spent or b) just p*ssed away or c) not spent but should be spent, i.e. on things like border control.

jambutty 14-08-2006 13:10

You raise a good and valid point morgan_brotherz. So no, you are not being silly. Have some Karma to take you over 50.

However it could also be argued that if you are old enough to pay tax and thus vote then you are old enough to join the armed forces and go into combat.

I know that you can join the armed forces as a boy seaman or airman or soldier but you don’t get sent abroad to fight under the age of 18. You may have to parry bombs and missiles in this country though but the so would the rest of us.

I don’t suppose that conscription will ever come into force again but how would a 17 years old feel about having to go and fight and probably get killed?

In my view no one under the age of 18 should be eligible to pay Income Tax on earned income.

steeljack 14-08-2006 13:44

Welcome to the grown world , just be glad you live in the UK , if you lived here in the US you could be at executed in some states for crimes committed before your 18th birthday , yep it's true the law says we can execute children, just wait until they turn 18. Even if you are in the military and have served your country overseas (maybe even lost a limb or two) you would not be able to buy an alcoholic drink anywhere in the U S till you reach the age of 21, how the Govt. can justify such a law I have no idea , guess it's because both this and the previous President are both reformed drunks (oops, sorry, Both were victims and suffered substance abuse in their younger years)
Good luck in the years ahead

Tealeaf 14-08-2006 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack
Even if you are in the military and have served your country overseas (maybe even lost a limb or two) you would not be able to buy an alcoholic drink anywhere in the U S till you reach the age of 21, Good luck in the years ahead

Errr....you used to be able to drink on base at 18, irrespective of the state law. Has that now changed as well?

steeljack 14-08-2006 14:19

stand corrected , yep, on base is allowed

SPUGGIE J 14-08-2006 14:27

It seems ironic that before the age of 18 you can pay tax NI and die for your country but you are not considered to have the right to vote. If you are considered man enough and mature enough to die foe Queen and country you should be man enough to vote. Maybe it is time for change but how many 18 year olds actually vote? I cherish the fact I can vote and always have done since turning 18.

shakermaker 14-08-2006 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
It seems ironic that before the age of 18 you can pay tax NI and die for your country but you are not considered to have the right to vote. If you are considered man enough and mature enough to die foe Queen and country you should be man enough to vote. Maybe it is time for change but how many 18 year olds actually vote? I cherish the fact I can vote and always have done since turning 18.

When I am eligible to vote I probably won't because I take no interest in politics, but that's personal choice. People should at least be given the choice to vote or not if we are being taxed & paying the salary's of all these armani's being voted in!

West Ender 14-08-2006 14:54

You are taxed from the day you are born. You may not pay income tax, unless you have a considerable income from birth, but everything you buy with your bit of pocket money has been subject to VAT somewhere along the line.

You can't vote until you are 18 (it was 21 in my day) but you can drive a car. Every time you put a litre of petrol in that car you are paying tax, even if you're a student or unemployed and not paying income tax. You buy a CD, a DVD, an i-pod, a pair of jeans, it's all subject to tax.

I do think, however, that the present tax rates and allowances should be altered. A personal allowance of £10K a year would mean a lot of young people wouldn't be taxed and a top rate of 50% for earnings over £100K a year would make up for much of it.

gem5665 14-08-2006 16:24

That has always been the part of being Taxed in England that I never got . even when I left school and started working. it was ok for me to be taxed to pay for what the government wants yet i can't have a say in how things should be run. I think it is time England made up it's mind about when we become adults. if you can pay taxes then you can Vote . if you can't vote then you don't pay taxes. simple. just a thought.

semihere 14-08-2006 18:13

I think it's a valid point... give the vote to ALL taxpayers! :)

cashman 14-08-2006 19:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Errr......not quite. Although a youngster can join the forces at 16 (junior level), and at 17 1/2 senior level, they now have to be 18 before they can be deployed in an operational theatre (Iraq, 'Gan,)

The wider debate is why we are now having to pay the amount of taxes (both direct & indirect) that we have to do and to what extent is a) the money well spent or b) just p*ssed away or c) not spent but should be spent, i.e. on things like border control.

stand corrected on that point tea, was thinking more of how many under 18s lost lives/limbs in the world wars? albeit they lied about their ages to enlist, they wernt old enough to vote.

morgan_brotherz 14-08-2006 21:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender
You are taxed from the day you are born. You may not pay income tax, unless you have a considerable income from birth, but everything you buy with your bit of pocket money has been subject to VAT somewhere along the line.

Apart from DutyFree yeah?

West Ender 14-08-2006 21:59

Quote:

Apart from DutyFree yeah?

Tax on your air fare's already paid for that. ;)

morgan_brotherz 19-08-2006 18:39

:| I cant believe it. I thought £6.90 a week was bad for a person of my age.. but I was infact WRONG about the amount I was paying each week! Just got wage slip and its £18 a week!!

This is ridiculous for a person of 17. Is there not anything one can do to re-claim it or anything? Student crap and all that?

The funny thing is.. paying £18 a week tax.. and £19 a week bus fare for college as I dont qualify for Education Maintenence Allowance.. so in other words I could be paying £18 a week to fund other low life's who cant be arsed working and get benefits such as EMA?!

This country sucks.

shakermaker 19-08-2006 19:19

Quote:

The funny thing is.. paying £18 a week tax.. and £19 a week bus fare for college as I dont qualify for Education Maintenence Allowance.. so in other words I could be paying £18 a week to fund other low life's who cant be arsed working and get benefits such as EMA?!

Hold on there you little ****, EMA is based on your household income, you qualify for it if your household earns less than £30k a year - so everyone under that salary band is a lowlife layabout?

SPUGGIE J 19-08-2006 20:11

Shaker can see what he is getting at and though tactless putting in EMA maybe he should have put JSA and IB. I to hate paying tax when I know people who refuse to work because they are better off not working. Me at the mo would be better of unemployed but have too much pride not to and things change.

andrewb 19-08-2006 20:56

Quote:

:| I cant believe it. I thought £6.90 a week was bad for a person of my age.. but I was infact WRONG about the amount I was paying each week! Just got wage slip and its £18 a week!!

This is ridiculous for a person of 17. Is there not anything one can do to re-claim it or anything? Student crap and all that?

This country sucks.

If you're in full time education you're eligable for a tax refund. Ask at work/bank.

Ps. If someone lived with one parent who was a teacher earning £29,999 are they lowlifes?

West Ender 19-08-2006 21:29

Quote:

If you're in permanent employment I'm afraid there's nothing you can claim back. Unfortunately age doesn't come into it, it's based purely on annual income. You have a personal allowance of £5035, income that's free of tax, then you pay 10% on the next £2150 and 22% on anything above that up to £33300, on any balance over that amount you'll pay 40%.

I can sympathise with what you're saying, that you're taxed when you can't vote etc. The only thing I can say is, when you're 18 and have the Vote, go for the Party that you think will introduce a fairer system - if you can find one. Good luck!

SPUGGIE J 20-08-2006 08:43

We are stuck with taxes but the worst about it is the system has enough loopholes that those with serious money can avoid paying large amounts. Maybe if the tax system was an even playing field then we might not worry so much about it as we would pay less.

jambutty 20-08-2006 09:13

Don’t forget your National Insurance contributions morgan_brotherz. They too go to pay the ‘low life layabout’ as you put it.

However thanks for tarring everyone with the same brush. I’m sure that the 1.6m unemployed will be gratified to know that they all belong to a particular group - namely ‘low life layabouts’.

By the way who do you think paid for your education and medical expenses so far? You are now paying some of that back.

If this country sucks then find a greener pasture elsewhere.
Quote:

Sort yourself out you nob.
Was it really necessary to make such a disparaging remark shakermaker? It destroyed the impact of your post.

The problem with taxation is that first of all the government of any colour WASTES huge chunks of it and secondly there are so many different forms of taxation, each with its own administration, that more huge chunks are wasted in collecting the money.

We only need one form of taxation and that is VAT on every single product or service that is bought. Rich or poor we all have to buy things so EVERYONE without exception would pay their share of the tax. The saving on bureaucracy could probably settle the national debt although it would put a couple of million civil servants on the dole. Better to pay them dole than huge salaries. It would be cheaper for us the taxpayer.

morgan_brotherz 20-08-2006 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker
Hold on there you little ****, EMA is based on your household income, you qualify for it if your household earns less than £30k a year - so everyone under that salary band is a lowlife layabout?

I said "fund other low life's who cant be arsed working and get benefits" and one of them benefits is EMA. I wasnt paticularly basing on EMA which is why I said SUCH AS.

And please dont bother telling me the rules & regulations of the EMA system.. Ive been through them so many times I know them off the back of my hand. You little ****.

morgan_brotherz 20-08-2006 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty
Don’t forget your National Insurance contributions morgan_brotherz. They too go to pay the ‘low life layabout’ as you put it.

However thanks for tarring everyone with the same brush. I’m sure that the 1.6m unemployed will be gratified to know that they all belong to a particular group - namely ‘low life layabouts’.

Can we please get one thing straight first. I didnt say 'layabouts'. Not that it makes any consolation. I still said lowlifes.

Quote:

Sort yourself out you nob
It appears that the post has been deleted.. but it just shows what a 'little' **** he is. Grow up.

ploppysirploppy 20-08-2006 10:25

Maybe it was wrong to say lowlifes...but i still get annoyed by the fact students get money for nothing.....ie. EMA.
They don't take into consideration how much your parents are willing to give you for your studies at all........I earn around £120 a month from a saturday job and use £40 of that on my bills....and sometimes the remaining goes on book fee's, lunch money...etc....i mean...my bus pass for the whole year was £250....my mum paid £100 and i paid for the other £150, because frankly I don't expect my parents should have to pay for MY bus pass...but money from EMA could have been useful.
I have a few friends that get EMA......and most do not use that money for college purposes....then at the end of the year they get £100 bonus....for what?....don't others deserve that bonus too?
I can live with it obviously......just sometimes it does touch a nerve how that money could be so useful to me but others just use it for leisure purposes.
Lea
x

jimmi5bellies 20-08-2006 10:33

You are 17, you are working, you are starting to pay TAX and you are still too young (legally that is, ;) ;) ) to go and enjoy a pint in the pub ! .....

life sucks ! :rolleyes:

jambutty 20-08-2006 10:43

I stand corrected morgan_brotherz, you did not state layabout. It just goes to show how easily an issue can get twisted around a bit when someone misquotes and someone else (me) quotes the misquote and so it rolls on. My apologies for doing so.
Quote:

It appears that the post has been deleted.. but it just shows what a 'little' **** he is. Grow up.
Hmmm! Interesting response! A 17 years old telling someone else to grow up.

Welcome to the real world ploppysirplooppy where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and fight over the few scraps of comfort that come their way.

morgan_brotherz 20-08-2006 11:04

Quote:

If im not mistaken, he is also 17.

And I agree Ploppysirploppy. The £100 bonus is quite annoying. Especially when everyone was bragging about it at Christmas and your like "oh..well" =[ "ol

andrewb 20-08-2006 12:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty
I stand corrected morgan_brotherz, you did not state layabout. It just goes to show how easily an issue can get twisted around a bit when someone misquotes and someone else (me) quotes the misquote and so it rolls on. My apologies for doing so.

Welcome to the real world ploppysirplooppy where the rich get richer, the poor get poorer and fight over the few scraps of comfort that come their way.

I sometimes think you're living in some made up world. How many people have become middle class from working class in the last 25years? Things have got better and will continue to get better. If you want want eduction, if you want a job, if you want to be sucessfull, you can damn well do it and nothing but lazyness is stopping people.

shakermaker 20-08-2006 17:57

Quote:

If im not mistaken, he is also 17.

And I agree Ploppysirploppy. The £100 bonus is quite annoying. Especially when everyone was bragging about it at Christmas and your like "oh..well" =[ "ol

Get a grip.:rolleyes:
My original post included bad language, I apologize.
However your responses subsequently have been laughable - telling me to grow up when your own posts include swearing.
Your hypocrisy amuses me no end.

Anyway, back to thread, why are you moaning about people in less fortunate positions than yourself gaining benefit?
This isn't spare money you know, it goes to bus fares & lunches at college/6th form, which is not needed for you as you are obviously in a fortunate position not to need this funding.

morgan_brotherz 20-08-2006 19:22

Just because the household income is less than £30,000 it doesnt necessarly mean they are less fortunate. And not all £30 a week goes to bus fares & lunches..

What about the £100 bonus at Christmas? Is that to catch the bus to college when its closed over the Christmas period.. just incase your having slight college withdrawl symptoms? Or to buy lots of prezzies and have a booze up over the festive period?

And please do stick to the thread topic, im tired of reading your little pointless speeches.

garinda 20-08-2006 19:27

I first started paying tax when I was twenty one. I started working at Christmas, at the end of the tax year, so for a while I didn't have to pay any tax until I reached my tax allowance. It was a real shock when they started taking a quarter of my salary away. What a cheek.

I remember getting very angry that single people have to pay more than married people with children. I got less back from the State than all the breeders, so thought I quite rightly should have had to pay less. Oh what innocent, naive days they were for me back then.:)

shakermaker 20-08-2006 19:44

Quote:

Just because the household income is less than £30,000 it doesnt necessarly mean they are less fortunate.

Obviously it does mean people who receive the benefit are less fortunate than you if your household earns more than the higher bracket.
Work it out. :bangh8:

Quote:

What about the £100 bonus at Christmas? Is that to catch the bus to college when its closed over the Christmas period.. just incase your having slight college withdrawl symptoms? Or to buy lots of prezzies and have a booze up over the festive period?

Nice attempt at a sense of humour! Too bad it didn't pay off.
Newsflash kid - materials run out :eek: and a shopping trip to get everything you need for the next term can easily run into 3 figures.

It is obvious that even with your tax cuts you can afford to go through college, why does it bother you so that people receive an aid so they are able to attend college & are able to have the necessary tools?
Your greed astounds me.

ploppysirploppy 21-08-2006 02:15

"Obviously it does mean people who receive the benefit are less fortunate than you if your household earns more than the higher bracket"

'Less fortunate' yes...but that sounds as if they can't live without benefits or something........ but i agree with morgan_brotherz.....it hardly means they're less fortunate...my friends on EMA...she lives the same life style as me at the moment without EMA as it's the end of the college year....so...hmmm...

"why does it bother you so that people receive an aid so they are able to attend college & are able to have the necessary tools?"

It annoys me, and probably other students too, such as morgan_brotherz.....half of these students who recieve EMA don;t use that money towards college fund....they see it as money for nothing....like i've explained in my previous post....so i won;t repeat myself
And as for the christmas bonus...see previous post also.
Lea
x

PS...i'm here so late because i cant sleep

SPUGGIE J 21-08-2006 09:28

All this ping pong over grants has got me wondering about what happens when you decide that you need a nice Uni degree. Considering that the Uni system is in a mess funding wise does that mean you would want a place at a Scottish Uni which has a lot less hassle and more help available because of the tuition fee senario.

morgan_brotherz 21-08-2006 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by ploppysirploppy

'Less fortunate' yes...but that sounds as if they can't live without benefits or something........ but i agree with morgan_brotherz.....it hardly means they're less fortunate...my friends on EMA...she lives the same life style as me at the moment without EMA as it's the end of the college year....so...hmmm...

Thats the exact point I was getting too. My friends who revieve EMA live the exact same lifestyle as me, except they have an extra £30 quid in their pocket a week - free.

Quote:

Nice attempt at a sense of humour! Too bad it didn't pay off.
Newsflash kid - materials run out :eek: and a shopping trip to get everything you need for the next term can easily run into 3 figures.
Thats funny.. I didnt need to spend anything really when going back to college after Christmas, what materials are we talking?.. pens & pencils at 99p a pack? Or a new stylish bag for £40?.. you tell me, because when buying materials for the next term runs in to three figures I really do think they would need to review their prices at Stationery Box.

Bus down Accy - £1
Pen - 17p
Folder? £2.00
Writing Pad - £1

What else could you possibly want/need? Thats £4.14 there. Wow.. were nearly reaching three figures already. :rolleyes:

shakermaker 21-08-2006 12:49

morgan_brotherz, I know that the £100 bonus wouldn't all be spent on pens & paper.
That's obvious.
My point was that things such as clothes & shoes would need to be bought around christmas (especially expensive when at 6th form grammar schools with a dress code like mine) - you know aswellas I that teenagers' growth spurts are annoying & unprecedented and clothes that could have fit when bought in the summer would not in the new year.
& whereas your household could afford to replace these essentials without a grant, many could not.

I agree that the grants should be made to be used for college stuff, eg bus fares, lunches etc.
I too get annoyed at people who abuse the grant for personal/un-work related use.

garinda 21-08-2006 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker
morgan_brotherz, I know that the £100 bonus wouldn't all be spent on pens & paper.
That's obvious.
My point was that things such as clothes & shoes would need to be bought around christmas (especially expensive when at 6th form grammar schools with a dress code like mine) - you know aswellas I that teenagers' growth spurts are annoying & unprecedented and clothes that could have fit when bought in the summer would not in the new year.
& whereas your household could afford to replace these essentials without a grant, many could not.

I agree that the grants should be made to be used for college stuff, eg bus fares, lunches etc.
I too get annoyed at people who abuse the grant for personal/un-work related use.

I'm told there are exercises you can do which will stunt your growth, and thus save youngsters money.:D

andrewb 21-08-2006 22:46

What are they? I need to follow them in reverse... lol

shakermaker 21-08-2006 22:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda
I'm told there are exercises you can do which will stunt your growth, and thus save youngsters money.:D

Bit late mate I'm 6"1 and still going!!

I've even resorted to making extra cash by renting out my legs to Cyfr at weekends :D

andrewb 22-08-2006 00:44

Yeah I knew my EMA would come in good for something...!

CusCus 23-08-2006 12:06

Quote:

Not relevant.

"No taxation without representation" is a basic tenet of modern democracy.

Large sections of society can't vote but are major users of public services

garinda 23-08-2006 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by CusCus

Such as prisoners.:D

CusCus 23-08-2006 12:20

Quote:

Such as prisoners.:D

and the insane
and immigrants
and the young

garinda 23-08-2006 14:37

Quote:

and the insane
and immigrants
and the young

Don't forget Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II.

Neil 23-08-2006 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
I actually worked out that I probably pay £6.90 a DAY in tax purely to get to and from work!

(car tax, VAT on fuel, Insurance tax, VAT on tyres/exhausts etc)

Actually I paid pretty much zero income tax last year due to some very nice tax efficient investments(40% relief on the whole investment)

You actually spent time working that out, you need more hobbies ( or more work to do at work :D )

pendy 25-08-2006 12:24

It's true that the only things certain in life are death and taxes. The more you earn, the more you pay. Sadly, as Lettie says, there are and always will be those who will not pay because they won't work. So those of us who are conscientious have to pay their share as well.

Complaining that it isn't fair is not productive. Life isn't fair. Live with it.

SPUGGIE J 25-08-2006 12:32

You forgot those that earn loads of dosh and pay very little tax. We are paying theirs as well.

morgan_brotherz 25-08-2006 12:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by pendy
It's true that the only things certain in life are death and taxes. The more you earn, the more you pay. Sadly, as Lettie says, there are and always will be those who will not pay because they won't work. So those of us who are conscientious have to pay their share as well.

Complaining that it isn't fair is not productive. Life isn't fair. Live with it.

I seriously hope your message wasnt aimed at me? Because if you actually read my first post you would see that I clearly stated that I am NOT complaining!

garinda 25-08-2006 17:43

Quote:

I seriously hope your message wasnt aimed at me? Because if you actually read my first post you would see that I clearly stated that I am NOT complaining!

Stop complaining about not complaining.:D

katex 25-08-2006 17:55

Quote:

Stop complaining about not complaining.:D

And you .. stop complaining about people complaining about not complaining .. did I get that right ?

katex 25-08-2006 17:59

Quote:

"No taxation without representation" is a basic tenet of modern democracy.

Yeh, but gets more serious when they taking money out of the wage you have sweated for ..

morgan_brotherz 25-08-2006 21:36

Quote:

And you .. stop complaining about people complaining about not complaining .. did I get that right ?

Haha. .