Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   broadband access in Gt Harwood (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/broadband-access-in-gt-harwood-2587.html)

[email protected] 27-03-2003 17:11

broadband access in Gt Harwood

When is the Great Harwood area going to demand Broadband (ADSL) access.

BT need interest to be shown and they have a web tool to track this. The current stats for the Great Harwood exchange are

Registered interested users: 144

Trigger level: 300 (48%)

You can register your interest as below (no obligation).

Come on pass the news on.

Ric

http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/cgi-bin/adsl/isavail/

[email protected] 27-03-2003 17:17

Re: broadband access in Gt Harwood

I don't work for pipex or anything, I just need broadband to make it to GH.

You need it too!!

KIPAX 27-03-2003 17:39

I was amazed Accy had it.. I have had broadband for 3 years now. Had it on test first for 6 months before they rolled it out. 7 years before that with a modem I can still hear that naff connection noise in my head.

Maybe I am going mad :)

ukbug 27-03-2003 17:45

so, 10 years with a modem!  You MUST have been into BBS systems at that time! I know I was then, I remember going through the lists of North West BBS's trying to find ones with a local call from Accrington - far to expensive in them days to call a manchester board!  (2400bps - you couldn't beat it)!

KIPAX 27-03-2003 17:53

Correct. I have been on the Internet for ten years.. First went on using an Atari ST ..Half a meg of memory and no HD just a 720k HD .... made my first web page on that :)  Using a shell account I could do ftp, usenet., email the lot with that system.

Yeagh I did BBS systems.. Cost me a fortune. used to have to call Newcastle.. Went through all the magazine listings looking for local.. First bill was 350 quid for the quarter.. nearly got divorced that month :)

Went on internet.. tried a few places then ended up with airtime in blackburn.. they let me use the Atari on a shell account as well..  Was with them a few years.. 10 Quid a month and phone calls.

ADSL has been a long time coming... bloody great innit :)

Amazing some BBS systems still exist don't they.. mad or what!

So you been on as long then if ya used BBS ?

ukbug 27-03-2003 18:00

Yeah, 10 years - I started with an Amiga.  I actually ran a BBS in Accrington using the Amiga and 2 floppy drives! I once also recieved a phone bill for 350 quid, this was caused when I upgraded(?) to a 386 with 40mb hard drive and the mail server filled the hard drive and kept redialling to try again - for days, very scary!  Indeed times have changed - I do enjoy telnetting to some of the die hard BBS's every now and then - and there is still a place in my heart for Tradewars2002!!

KIPAX 27-03-2003 18:16

Amiga. Haa so your from the dark side.... hehe Don't start all that again for gawds sake :)

I had an Amiga500 foot warmer for a while.  The Amiga, an Atari and a 386 all buzzing along and the electric went :(  Then it came back on again... Only the Atari powered back up...

I didnt do tradewars.. first thing I did was start programming.. If you could call STBasic then STOS (You had Amos) programming that is.. Line numbers
...yummmy spaghetti code :)

ukbug 27-03-2003 18:25

I also did AMos - at the time it was a breakthrough - although I actually started programming basic on an Atari 600 - the one before the 800xl.   That was fun, what on earth happened to computers anyway - how did they turn into these big ugly things from nice small keyboard sized objects.

[email protected] 02-04-2003 19:36

I started the internet in America in the 60's on an old toaster.

The crumb dynamics where really hard to code in alphabetty spaghetti.

ukbug 03-04-2003 12:26

I've always found coding in alphabetty spaghetti is a lot easier when you make sure you get the language right - I once picked up a can of cheap unlabeled alphabetty spaghetti - it caused chaos, turned out to be bloody french stuff!

Stinger 09-04-2003 12:09

get NTL's cable broadband, its available in Gt Harwood and faster too!

Markie 09-04-2003 16:26

I have NTL too.. despite all the bad press I've never had a problem. Get a download rate of 74kbyte/sec !!

They have, however, imposed a 1GB a day limit on downloads.

hanchorman 10-04-2003 20:53

.Re: broadband access in Gt Harwood

[quote author=Markie link=board=general;num=1048792306;start=0#11 date=04/09/03 at 17:26:25]I have NTL too.. despite all the bad press I've never had a problem. Get a download rate of 74kbyte/sec !!

They have, however, imposed a 1GB a day limit on downloads.[/quote]

if you dont mind me asking how much is your ntl package/which is it?
and whatever your paying they have a cheek to limit your downloads?(sounds a bit out of order to me.)

Markie 11-04-2003 08:05

I've got the 600k package which is £24.99 a month, but it is faster than adsl. I've never noticed the 1gb limit yet even though I've downloaded lots of films.. also, I say it's 24.99, but I've had it since last december and they've forgotten to debit my account!! :D

hanchorman 12-04-2003 06:34

free broadband jammy sod,bet i wouldnt be that lucky markie.......downloading films,i wish better just stick to music videos for now with my mighty 56k!