Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Don't Walk and Talk/Listen (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/dont-walk-and-talk-listen-28322.html)

Busman747 07-02-2007 21:37

Don't Walk and Talk/Listen

I think most people agree that the new laws governing the use of mobile phones whilst driving is right and is a potential life saver HOWEVER, just how far should we go to "save lives?"

Will we ever as a nation, go down the same path as
New York?

SPUGGIE J 07-02-2007 22:54

Re: Don't Walk and Talk/Listen

It wouldnt be a bad idea as the number of people who cross without thinking without gadgets is bad enough.

cashman 08-02-2007 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busman747 (Post 380438)
I think most people agree that the new laws governing the use of mobile phones whilst driving is right and is a potential life saver HOWEVER, just how far should we go to "save lives?"

Will we ever as a nation, go down the same path as
New York?

Whilst most folks agree busman its a pity they don,t bloody ENFORCE EM. Pedestrians also can be a Menace so i aint knocking N.Y.

chav1 08-02-2007 05:56

if motorists havnt to be distracted then why not pedestrians , the amount of idiots dilly dallying in the roads without ipods etc is bad enough

also i would stretch it further to ban cycleists from wearing ipods etc

WillowTheWhisp 08-02-2007 07:49

I totally agree about cyclists, they could miss hearing something vital. I suppose the same could be said for anyone who is profoundly deaf but they would probably be concentrating on what they are doing whereas someone plugged into music is not going to have their full attention on what they are doing.

I'm now waiting for someone to come along and say we should ban radios and CD players in cars.

lancashire lad 08-02-2007 07:53

How will wagon drivers go on using C.B. radios? surley that must be a distraction.

WillowTheWhisp 08-02-2007 07:56

The difference there though is that they can hear other things around them as well but people with their earplugs in often can't - I know from trying to speak to my kids when they're listening to the things.

panther 08-02-2007 11:12

I think smoking while driving is also hazardous, many a times ive seen people panic when they dropped it on there lap!, rather dangerous dont you think!

SPUGGIE J 08-02-2007 11:47

I cycle and dont have stuff bunged in mi lugs as it is the easiest way to get snuffed out. The biggest problem with doing anything in a car is thatit is so distracting. Arguing with a spouse or the kids can be as bad as fags and gadgets.

grego 08-02-2007 12:21

I'm not sure that banning ipods would make any difference, surely the people using them still know to stop and look even if they cant listen.

JohnW 08-02-2007 12:27

There is no law here in Florida regarding drivers using mobile 'phones. The number of people I see on Interstates (Motorways) using them is beyond belief. Last night on my way home there was a driver in the fast lane, doing 5 mph under the limit, no-one in front of him for over a mile, talking on his 'phone. He was going along at the same speed as traffic in the two other lanes with a great buildup of traffic behind. I think hands free devices are good and bluetooth allows you to connect etc. without using your hands. I really think that in-car telephone conversations should be limited to that.

grego 08-02-2007 12:32

Dont agree with driving whilst holding a mobile phone, still see it an awful lot though, and dont often see people being done for it.

WillowTheWhisp 08-02-2007 13:24

That reminds me - I've lost a dongle.

panther 08-02-2007 13:35

where have you put your dongle??

who on earth called it that in the first place?...lol

grego 08-02-2007 21:03

Whats a dongle?:confused: