Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/missing-child-in-portugal-madeleine-mccann-30497.html)

cashman 04-05-2007 22:51

re: Missing child in Portugal - Madeleine McCann

have kept well away from this one as my language regarding the parents would have me struck off. hope the child is recovered safe, and hope those 2 SELFISH BARSTEWARDS are prosecuted.

katex 04-05-2007 23:24

Although feel was neglectful of the parents to leave them, and for all who have commented that "we would never leave our children in any circumstances" even popping to the shop or visiting our next door neighbour for a short while ? could not bring themselves to do this, myself included; incidents like this can happen within 5 minutes too. Let's concentrate firstly on wishing that this child is found and not cloud the searchers' efforts in this case.

Even if they had employed the services of the creche, they would probably have only visited the room at certain intervals anyway.

Don't know if anyone here remembers the Butlin's child patrol? They were just merely notified of parents going to the main entertainment halls for the night and only listened and inspected the outside of the chalets for any disturbances.
Remember well the tannoy announcements of "Baby crying in No.47" .. always thought this was a strange type of babysitting .. well, that would not go down very well these days, would it ? Or is it still acceptable ?

WillowTheWhisp 04-05-2007 23:44

I'm having second thoughts about this one. The first report I heard made it sound like they'd gone out for the evening and left the child alone in the hotel. The last report I heard they were dining in the hotel resort restaurant and could see the door of their room from where they were. That puts a different light on things. I have said I would never leave a 3 year old child alone but I've done it every night when mine were 3. They went to bed and were left alone upstairs in their own bedrooms whilst my husband and I would be downstairs in the dining room having our dinner. If all was quiet up there I never even looked in on them because to do so would have disturbed them. Does that make me a bad mother?

I do hope this little girl is found and that she's OK. The parents must be frantic with worry and probably did believe they didn't need the creche services as they were doing the job themselves just as the baby checking service would have done.

SPUGGIE J 04-05-2007 23:52

No it dosnt Willow but the more that comes out the more it seems it wasnt as it was first made out.

garinda 05-05-2007 00:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 419718)
I'm having second thoughts about this one. The first report I heard made it sound like they'd gone out for the evening and left the child alone in the hotel. The last report I heard they were dining in the hotel resort restaurant and could see the door of their room from where they were. That puts a different light on things. I have said I would never leave a 3 year old child alone but I've done it every night when mine were 3. They went to bed and were left alone upstairs in their own bedrooms whilst my husband and I would be downstairs in the dining room having our dinner. If all was quiet up there I never even looked in on them because to do so would have disturbed them. Does that make me a bad mother?

I do hope this little girl is found and that she's OK. The parents must be frantic with worry and probably did believe they didn't need the creche services as they were doing the job themselves just as the baby checking service would have done.

No, the restaurant they were visiting was off the complex, varying distances are given between 100 yards and 200 meters, as to how far away it was. The three children were last visited at nine, and the eldest child was discovered missing at ten. Even if one of the children woke up and was crying, this is unacceptable. They also decided not to pay for the babysitting service, which was available.

grego 05-05-2007 07:38

The newsreader this morning was trying to make out it was a perfectly reasonable thing to do as the resort is very safe and child friendly and the restaurant is on complex, just round the corner from their apartment. Sorry but I still dont think its acceptable, my children are upstairs alone during the evening this is normal, I'm in the house, all the doors are locked and I can hear any move they make it is not the same thing at all.

panther 05-05-2007 07:58

was just gonna say that myself grego, i dont check on my kids either, if there is a problem i will definatley know about it! but i would never leave em in the house on their own, not even sit in a neighbours house, they come with me or i dont go at all.

lettie 05-05-2007 08:09

The fact remains that there is a child missing in a foreign country. The parents must be frantic and probably beside themselves with guilt and worry. However, the parents have been extremely negligent and foolish and hopefully this incident will be investigated thoroughly by the police child protection dept and social services on their return home. Had they employed the babysitting service, even if it turns out that checks are only half hourly, the parents would have then been seen to have tried to ensure their childrens' safety.

We all know that young children can wake up at frequent intervals and get up to all sorts of mischief, even when their parents are in the same house, but at least the parents are within earshot when in the same house (my mum will testify to this because she used to catch me getting up to all sorts when I was supposed to be asleep). :)

entwisi 05-05-2007 08:27

Julie and I would never leave Siobhan alone. on hols we put her to bed and sit on the balcony talking, playing cards etc. At no point would we leave her alone even for two minutes.

I do hope the little one is safe and well but I fear thats not going to be teh case

WillowTheWhisp 05-05-2007 08:27

There are so many conflicting reports on this. I don't think I can have a proper opinion until there has been an investigation. To say a resort is safe is poppycock because by virtue of the simple fact that it is a resort they can have absolutely no idea what kind of people are there at any given time.

flashy 05-05-2007 08:53

come to think of it, was the child kidnapped or has something else happened to her? sorry to put more of a downer on it but it has been know before

panther 05-05-2007 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashytart (Post 419782)
come to think of it, was the child kidnapped or has something else happened to her? sorry to put more of a downer on it but it has been know before

or was it a member of the family??
if she was kidnapped why did no one hear her, yet if she knew someone she would come quietly!:(

horrible to think off but it does happen

Tinkerbelle 05-05-2007 10:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 419770)
There are so many conflicting reports on this. I don't think I can have a proper opinion until there has been an investigation.

That's my opinion too. I don't care who you are, we all have and still do make mistakes as parents, just sadly, their decision (which probably seemed fine at the time) has ended with this terrible situation.

I don't feel I have any right to 'judge' these parents. The only thing I feel for them right now is absolute sympathy that their little sweetheart is missing. They must be at this time, in their own personal hell. I can't even begin to imagine what they are actually going through.

I hope and pray this little girl is found safely but as the time goes on that she is missing it seems ever more less likely .....

Just remember when your criticising the parents that, they will have to live with the guilt of this one terrible decision for the rest of their lives ..... but for the grace of God, springs to mind

accymel 05-05-2007 11:43

Updated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6627605.stm

Police have a suspect in mind for possible abduction & in area of resort.

lancsdave 05-05-2007 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 419810)
Updated

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6627605.stm

Police have a suspect in mind for possible abduction & in area of resort.

Whilst having every sympathy for the parents while their child is missing surely this bit is way over the top and a questionable decision about taxpayers money.

"Three Family Liaison Officers from Leicestershire Police are due to arrive in the Algarve at the request of the Foreign Office."

Do we assume all other children in Leicestershire are safe and sound ?