Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hyndburn to be axed. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hyndburn-to-be-axed-31135.html)

garinda 31-05-2007 19:41

Hyndburn to be axed.

According to this weekend's Accrington Observer, the ruling Tories on HBC have decided that after thirty three years, the name Hyndburn is to be scrapped, and we are to be known as the 'Borough of Accrington and District'.

Twenty thousand pounds has been found for new road signs.

Agreed, no one in the country knows where Hyndburn is, but does it really matter? They know where all the towns which make up Hyndburn are.

Seems to me to be a total waste of money, and reminds me of when British Airways spent a fortune on rebranding themselves with a fancy new logo on their plane's tails...and then changed it back at even more cost.

You can spend money forever rebranding yourselves, but to me services are what are important, not the name on the Town Hall's letter paper, vans etc.

http://www.fylde.gov.uk/images/party...nservative.gif

(Example of costly rebranding...that fools no one.)

maxwell silver 31-05-2007 19:59

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Well i think it's a lovely idea to re-name Accrington after Accrington & i'm sure our oft put upon & hard working councillors spent many a long hour brainstorming the idea between them.New coates of arms & rod signs will transform the town forever.We can look foward to cleaner & safer streets,greener meadows,fresher air,old style emptied every week dustbins,lower taxation,rag & bone chaps & double decker buses.Well done PB & chums youve every right to look pleased with yourselves.:rolleyes:

cashman 31-05-2007 20:01

suits me fine,never wanted Hyndburn in the first place.;)

Gayle 31-05-2007 20:05

Funny, but I was at a meeting a few weeks ago about something completely unrelated and as a throw away comment someone said, 'that's if we're still called Hyndburn'. I didn't think anything of it but clearly they were in the know.

I think it's a bit of a daft idea personally. I mean, I know Hyndburn doesn't mean an awful lot to people outside of the area but the problem is that Accrington does. If you call it Accrington people immediately get images of old mill towns, Accrington Pals and Accrington Stanley.

I know Stanley are doing better but the rest doesn't give the most positive image in the world. It dates us to an era a long, long time ago.

Less 31-05-2007 20:09

Where's Accrington? (I only ask 'cos the spell checker thinks I've made a mistake whenever I type it!).:rofl38: Herrington is a suggested spelling for it!

cashman 31-05-2007 20:13

have to disagee gayle, it dates us to the place i was born, and sure its not what it was, but i,m bloody proud to be associated with accrington, Hyndburn means buggar all.

Gayle 31-05-2007 20:27

Accrington is not the only town in Hyndburn either.

From what I understand Hyndburn (the name) was given when Hyndburn (the administrative area) was created from all the towns joining together.

SamF 31-05-2007 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 431012)
but the problem is that Accrington does. If you call it Accrington people immediately get images of old mill towns, Accrington Pals and Accrington Stanley.

I'm sorry but I fail to see what is wrong with that image of the town.

If that is the image people get of the town then I am proud. Proud that Accrington was at the front of the industrial revolution that changed the world forever, proud that we are associated with people who gave their lives so that ours may be better and proud to be associated with a founder member of a league that now over £1 billion turnover and brings joy and prosperity to millions worldwide.

cashman 31-05-2007 20:45

I think it's a bit of a daft idea personally. I mean, I know Hyndburn doesn't mean an awful lot to people outside of the area but the problem is that Accrington does. If you call it Accrington people immediately get images of old mill towns, Accrington Pals and Accrington Stanley.

I know Stanley are doing better but the rest doesn't give the most positive image in the world. It dates us to an era a long, long time ago. --------to me thats industrial snobbery gayle. i,m talking about my identity, and i would bet the other towns that make up hyndburn think the same.

mallard 31-05-2007 20:49

they should leave thinks as they are and folk wont get confused

cashman 31-05-2007 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 431032)
they should leave thinks as they are and folk wont get confused

about where you come from?:confused::rofl38:

Wynonie Harris 31-05-2007 21:21

Excellent idea and welcome news. Hyndburn as a name means absolutely nothing. People where I live, 25 miles to the south have never even heard of it. Accrington is a name that's known all over the world. Obviously, Stanley's a major reason and a very positive one in light of the club's incredible journey against the odds back to the football league. Accrington bricks are renowned for durability and strength. The Accrington Pals will forever be associated with courage and comradeship.

The whole concept of Hyndburn was a mistake right from the start. In the early 80's I had a running argument in the letters columns of the Observer with Winnie Hogan and others about the merits of Accrington v Hyndburn. I'm glad that at long last the council have seen sense.

Gayle 31-05-2007 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 431047)
The whole concept of Hyndburn was a mistake right from the start. In the early 80's I had a running argument in the letters columns of the Observer with Winnie Hogan and others about the merits of Accrington v Hyndburn. I'm glad that at long last the council have seen sense.

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been called Hyndburn in the first place but the fact is that it is and I don't think it's a good idea to change it back to something that it was 30 years ago.

I understand the pride in Accrington (but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) but the heritage of the town is not the only thing that we should be trading on. There are so many things wrong with the town at the moment and I don't think that a name change will cure it.

Wynonie Harris 31-05-2007 21:37

I don't think it'll provide an instant cure to the borough's problems either, but at least it'll give us a recognisable national identity, instead of making do with the name of an anonymous local government area.

And yes, everybody in the borough's entitled to their pride in their own town. I was merely pointing out that the name Accrington has a lot more positives going for it than Hyndburn. Can anyone really say they feel pride in the name Hyndburn?

Neil 31-05-2007 21:41

Will we be seeing a return of Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council as well? ;)