Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hyndburn to be axed. (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hyndburn-to-be-axed-31135.html)

garinda 31-05-2007 19:41

Hyndburn to be axed.

According to this weekend's Accrington Observer, the ruling Tories on HBC have decided that after thirty three years, the name Hyndburn is to be scrapped, and we are to be known as the 'Borough of Accrington and District'.

Twenty thousand pounds has been found for new road signs.

Agreed, no one in the country knows where Hyndburn is, but does it really matter? They know where all the towns which make up Hyndburn are.

Seems to me to be a total waste of money, and reminds me of when British Airways spent a fortune on rebranding themselves with a fancy new logo on their plane's tails...and then changed it back at even more cost.

You can spend money forever rebranding yourselves, but to me services are what are important, not the name on the Town Hall's letter paper, vans etc.

http://www.fylde.gov.uk/images/party...nservative.gif

(Example of costly rebranding...that fools no one.)

maxwell silver 31-05-2007 19:59

Re: Hyndburn to be axed.

Well i think it's a lovely idea to re-name Accrington after Accrington & i'm sure our oft put upon & hard working councillors spent many a long hour brainstorming the idea between them.New coates of arms & rod signs will transform the town forever.We can look foward to cleaner & safer streets,greener meadows,fresher air,old style emptied every week dustbins,lower taxation,rag & bone chaps & double decker buses.Well done PB & chums youve every right to look pleased with yourselves.:rolleyes:

cashman 31-05-2007 20:01

suits me fine,never wanted Hyndburn in the first place.;)

Gayle 31-05-2007 20:05

Funny, but I was at a meeting a few weeks ago about something completely unrelated and as a throw away comment someone said, 'that's if we're still called Hyndburn'. I didn't think anything of it but clearly they were in the know.

I think it's a bit of a daft idea personally. I mean, I know Hyndburn doesn't mean an awful lot to people outside of the area but the problem is that Accrington does. If you call it Accrington people immediately get images of old mill towns, Accrington Pals and Accrington Stanley.

I know Stanley are doing better but the rest doesn't give the most positive image in the world. It dates us to an era a long, long time ago.

Less 31-05-2007 20:09

Where's Accrington? (I only ask 'cos the spell checker thinks I've made a mistake whenever I type it!).:rofl38: Herrington is a suggested spelling for it!

cashman 31-05-2007 20:13

have to disagee gayle, it dates us to the place i was born, and sure its not what it was, but i,m bloody proud to be associated with accrington, Hyndburn means buggar all.

Gayle 31-05-2007 20:27

Accrington is not the only town in Hyndburn either.

From what I understand Hyndburn (the name) was given when Hyndburn (the administrative area) was created from all the towns joining together.

SamF 31-05-2007 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 431012)
but the problem is that Accrington does. If you call it Accrington people immediately get images of old mill towns, Accrington Pals and Accrington Stanley.

I'm sorry but I fail to see what is wrong with that image of the town.

If that is the image people get of the town then I am proud. Proud that Accrington was at the front of the industrial revolution that changed the world forever, proud that we are associated with people who gave their lives so that ours may be better and proud to be associated with a founder member of a league that now over £1 billion turnover and brings joy and prosperity to millions worldwide.

cashman 31-05-2007 20:45

I think it's a bit of a daft idea personally. I mean, I know Hyndburn doesn't mean an awful lot to people outside of the area but the problem is that Accrington does. If you call it Accrington people immediately get images of old mill towns, Accrington Pals and Accrington Stanley.

I know Stanley are doing better but the rest doesn't give the most positive image in the world. It dates us to an era a long, long time ago. --------to me thats industrial snobbery gayle. i,m talking about my identity, and i would bet the other towns that make up hyndburn think the same.

mallard 31-05-2007 20:49

they should leave thinks as they are and folk wont get confused

cashman 31-05-2007 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by mallard (Post 431032)
they should leave thinks as they are and folk wont get confused

about where you come from?:confused::rofl38:

Wynonie Harris 31-05-2007 21:21

Excellent idea and welcome news. Hyndburn as a name means absolutely nothing. People where I live, 25 miles to the south have never even heard of it. Accrington is a name that's known all over the world. Obviously, Stanley's a major reason and a very positive one in light of the club's incredible journey against the odds back to the football league. Accrington bricks are renowned for durability and strength. The Accrington Pals will forever be associated with courage and comradeship.

The whole concept of Hyndburn was a mistake right from the start. In the early 80's I had a running argument in the letters columns of the Observer with Winnie Hogan and others about the merits of Accrington v Hyndburn. I'm glad that at long last the council have seen sense.

Gayle 31-05-2007 21:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 431047)
The whole concept of Hyndburn was a mistake right from the start. In the early 80's I had a running argument in the letters columns of the Observer with Winnie Hogan and others about the merits of Accrington v Hyndburn. I'm glad that at long last the council have seen sense.

I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been called Hyndburn in the first place but the fact is that it is and I don't think it's a good idea to change it back to something that it was 30 years ago.

I understand the pride in Accrington (but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) but the heritage of the town is not the only thing that we should be trading on. There are so many things wrong with the town at the moment and I don't think that a name change will cure it.

Wynonie Harris 31-05-2007 21:37

I don't think it'll provide an instant cure to the borough's problems either, but at least it'll give us a recognisable national identity, instead of making do with the name of an anonymous local government area.

And yes, everybody in the borough's entitled to their pride in their own town. I was merely pointing out that the name Accrington has a lot more positives going for it than Hyndburn. Can anyone really say they feel pride in the name Hyndburn?

Neil 31-05-2007 21:41

Will we be seeing a return of Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council as well? ;)

shakermaker 31-05-2007 21:43

Agree with Garinda totally.
Nice that the daft name is out of the way but spending thousands on changing names on signs won't help people with the services needed in their daily lives.

Neil 31-05-2007 21:46

The majority of the Welcome to Hyndburn road signs are in need of replacing due to the picture wearing off them anyway

katex 31-05-2007 21:47

[QUOTE=Wynonie Harris;43105
And yes, everybody in the borough's entitled to their pride in their own town. I was merely pointing out that the name Accrington has a lot more positives going for it than Hyndburn. Can anyone really say they feel pride in the name Hyndburn?[/QUOTE]

And everybody's entitlement to be proud of their borough, like 'Hyndburn', which takes in Oswaldtwistle, Huncoat, Clayton-le-Moors, Baxenden, Rishton and Great Harwood, which was not marketed strongly enough in the first place, so they think by changing it to Accrington then overnight it will become more marketable, do they ?

Just a lazy, albeit expensive, way out, but can't see that it will attract any more 'investment, businesses and retail outlets' (quote Observer) than before. Leave as it is.

shakermaker 31-05-2007 21:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 431059)
Just a lazy, albeit expensive, way out, but can't see that it will attract any more 'investment, businesses and retail outlets' (quote Observer) than before.

In other words, you can't polish a turd :)

Doug 31-05-2007 21:49

Suites me fine, I think it’s a fantastic idea. When I left the town it was called Accrington, Hyndburn I was aware of but it meant now’t. If people ask me where I’m from I say proudly “Accrington” if they ask me where I was Born I say proudly “Church or Church Kirk” If some asks me which team I support I say proudly “Accrington Stanley or The Stanley” and on each and every occasion they know where I mean. Ask me where Hyndburn is? I’d say it’s in Accy. :D

Sorry Mandy darling, 20 grand would be money well spent. :)

Doug 31-05-2007 21:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 431060)
In other words, you can't polish a turd :)

Not heard that for donkeys years...............:) Nice. :D

SPUGGIE J 31-05-2007 21:57

What does Accrington and the surrounding towns have in common that can be used instead of Hyndburn or Accrington & District?

Wynonie Harris 31-05-2007 22:09

Whatever new name you come up with, it's going to be contrived, artificial and ultimately, meaningless. Accrington is the largest, most central and best-known town in the borough, so surely it makes sense to capitalise on that?

cashman 31-05-2007 22:17

(but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) if thats the case,you should be proud of where you come from, nowt wrong wi it.but sorry if you aint from here gayle its sod all to you then.

WillowTheWhisp 31-05-2007 23:08

I think it's a silly waste of time and money.

Rawtenstall is in Rossendale. Other places are also in Rossendale without being Rawtenstall.

The same applies to Accrington and Hyndburn. Ossy, Clayton, Rishton etc are not Accrington and to have them come under the umbrella of the Accrington name just seems silly to me. When Hyndburn was created it was named so as to make all component parts equal.

I think they should leave well alone and concentrate on doing something useful like cleaning up the grot.

garinda 31-05-2007 23:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 431055)
Will we be seeing a return of Oswaldtwistle Urban District Council as well? ;)

No, of course not. All power will still remain in The Bunker. Though we will all get shiney new signs with a coat of arms.

I, like I'm sure everyone else, have no great feelings of warmth for the name of Hyndburn, but after thirty odd years I've gotten used to it. I never say I'm from there. Like everyone else I say I'm from Ossy, or Accrington, Rishton, Great Harwood, wherever.

Our address isn't even Hyndburn. It's Accrington. Even Hyndburn Borough Council's address says Accrington, not Hyndburn.

Scaitcliffe House
Ormerod Street
Accrington
BB5 OPF

This rebranding isn't going to decentralise the Borough, and restore the power to individual Town Halls, each with their Urban Councils, as we had pre 1974. This is purely cosmetic.

If the bright sparks who conceived this, think this idea will bring in investment and renewal to the area, purely on the strength of a name change, then they are simplistic and naive in the extreme. It's much more about affordable business rates, a skilled workforce, transport, accommodation, and a council who have the vision to change that which needs changing, and leaving well alone that which doesn't.

We are hopefully all proud of where we come from, and rightly so. Hyndburn is just the name of the council where we send our taxes. Changing the name, at some considerable expense, will not bring any changes for the better.

It's the system we have, so we have to put up with it, but I've said before, if the positions of being our political representatives were advertised as professional positions, most of this shower wouldn't even make the first interview stage.

By the way, as anyone informed Greg Pope, or will he still be the MP representing Hyndburn in the House of Commons?

garinda 31-05-2007 23:51

What's Hyndburn Sports Centre going to become?

Can't call it Accrington Sports Centre, as it's in Church.

Are we all going to get new wheelie bins with the new logo?

Sounds expensive.

Which bag do we recycle the old Hyndburn ones in?

Bazf 01-06-2007 02:41

About time. Somebody with a bit of sense. To everyone who left it has always been Accrington or Accy, to those who never left it has always been Accrington or Accy, I should imagine no one called it Hyndburn. Church is still Ossy bottoms and Harrod is at top of t'ill, as for Clayton get Load of Mischief bus and you can't miss it.

steeljack 01-06-2007 03:19

sounds a good idea to me , as others have said if you say your from Accrington or from near Accrington people know where your from .

US Angel 01-06-2007 07:59

will taxes go up to pay for all the changing signs etc

Ber999T 01-06-2007 08:06

About time name got changed. Have you seen "Hyndburn" on a map?

You can see

Accrington, Oswaldtwistle, Rishton, Gt Harwood,
Clayton-Le-Moors, Altham, Church, Baxenden.

but I have yet to find Hyndburn on a map!!!

Ber999T 01-06-2007 08:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by US Angel (Post 431147)
will taxes go up to pay for all the changing signs etc

Like everything else it will cost and fall upon the tax payers

garinda 01-06-2007 08:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 431133)
sounds a good idea to me , as others have said if you say your from Accrington or from near Accrington people know where your from .

Interesting. The last two posts supported the change, but they don't live here, and won't be paying for it.

As stated earlier, this isn't a return to pre 1974 state of affairs, each town with their own urban council. This is the creation of a brand new borough name, leaving the other towns outside of Accrington, presumably feeling even more under valued.

Yes US Angel, if the cost of just changing the sign posts, never mind, all the bin wagons/council vans, stationary etc, is £20,000, then the tax payer will be footing the bill, as per usual.

garinda 01-06-2007 08:12

*Lol, the last two posts before Ber999T, who slipped in between, whilst I was posting.:D

Ber999T 01-06-2007 08:27

Cheers rindy LOL

Royboy39 01-06-2007 09:55

Drop the dead donkey.............and the riders?

Should It Be Hyndburn Or Accrington (from Lancashire Telegraph)

shakermaker 01-06-2007 10:06

I was going to mention The Mighty Boosh, it's hilarious in an English eccentric Pythonesque kind of way but I don't think it quite beats The Royle Family.

Tealeaf 01-06-2007 10:29

In 1974, the London bureaucrats responsible for local government reorganisation came up with the name of Hyndburn on the basis that the river passed through the Borough of Accrington and all it's adjacent towns and urban districts; however, where it flows through Ossy, I know not.

The name was chosen in order to avoid any suggestion of favouritism towards Accrington, although most locals would have pointed out that "Hyndburn" was only an alternative name for the river and it was most commonly referred to as "The Stink". It would appear that to have named the new local authority "Stink" was unaccepable, although no doubt over the years this name would have had far more impact than the otherwise meaningless Hyndburn.

Accrington and District(s) is a far more recognisable name and for the relatively small sums of money involved in changing it should prove a wise investment, although I notice that according to the LT, the "Districts" of Harwood, Rishton, Clayton, Ossy and Accy itself will get their own coat of arms - but not Church! Assuming this is not a cock-up on the part of the LT, I assume that this will be speedily rectified by the powers that be.

shakermaker 01-06-2007 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakermaker (Post 431166)
I was going to mention The Mighty Boosh, it's hilarious in an English eccentric Pythonesque kind of way but I don't think it quite beats The Royle Family.

Proof that Absinthe makes you blind.
Dear oh dear...

Gayle 01-06-2007 11:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 431082)
(but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) if thats the case,you should be proud of where you come from, nowt wrong wi it.but sorry if you aint from here gayle its sod all to you then.

It is sod all to me - I come from Oswaldtwistle and I'd rather be a part of Hyndburn than being dismissed by the '....and districts' tag.

Tealeaf 01-06-2007 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 431180)
It is sod all to me - I come from Oswaldtwistle and I'd rather be a part of Hyndburn than being dismissed by the '....and districts' tag.

Lets face it Gayle - Hyndburn means nowt to any sensible person,but you have to be awkward,as usual.

If "District" is not good enough, then what about a completely new name altogeather? What about Britcliffeton? Or Accrington and the USA ('Uther Side of Accrington). Anyway, if some of your labour friends would have had their way, Hyndburn would have disappeared a few years ago and we would now be "Blackburn with Darwin and Accy"

Given that Church occupies the geographic centre of Hyndburn and is also the oldest recorded part of the borough, I personally think it should be renamed "Church, Districts and the Dosshole Ossy". That has a nice ring, don't you think?

Gayle 01-06-2007 11:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 431184)
Lets face it Gayle - Hyndburn means nowt to any sensible person,but you have to be awkward,as usual.

Other people have objected to the name change but you've picked up on mine, as usual.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
If "District" is not good enough, then what about a completely new name altogeather? What about Britcliffeton? Or Accrington and the USA ('Uther Side of Accrington). Anyway, if some of your labour friends would have had their way, Hyndburn would have disappeared a few years ago and we would now be "Blackburn with Darwin and Accy"

Given that Church occupies the geographic centre of Hynburn and is also the oldest recorded part of the borough, I personally think it should be renamed "Church, Districts and the Dosshole Ossy". That has a nice ring, don't you think?

Well as Church is clearly the centre of the universe, despite you living 300 miles south of it, I think you've got a point. Anyway, if people don't know where Hyndburn is surely that's not the fault of the people who live here - we know where we live - surely it's the fault of people who have gone to live elsewhere not spreading the word efficiently enough. ;)

Greg Pope 01-06-2007 11:46

I think there is some merit in changing the name to Accrington (the 'and District' bit seems a little 1920s to me). It's worth bearing mind that neighbouring Burnley also comprises of towns and villages such as Padiham, Worsthorne, Cliviger, etc without too many problems. I often say that I'm the MP for Accrington to people from London, not because I'm ashamed of the other towns (I'm an 'Arroder!) but simply because no-one has heard of Hyndburn. Giving boroughs names that weren't places was common in the 1970s but I think it's time to move on now.

Incidentally, the constituency name won't change as a result of this. The naming of constituencies is up to the Parliamentary Boundary Commission. Confusingly, the Hyndburn constituency is larger than Hyndburn Borough as it includes Haslingden as well. Maybe the constituency could do with a new name as well...

Tealeaf 01-06-2007 11:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Pope (Post 431186)
I
Incidentally, the constituency name won't change as a result of this. The naming of constituencies is up to the Parliamentary Boundary Commission. Confusingly, the Hyndburn constituency is larger than Hyndburn Borough as it includes Haslingden as well. Maybe the constituency could do with a new name as well...

Aye....good idea, Greg. What about Church and District Parliamentary Constituency?

lancsdave 01-06-2007 11:53

Quote:

Maybe the constituency could do with a new name as well...

Think big like Manchester, Greater Burnley sounds good :D:D

grannyclaret 01-06-2007 11:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by lancsdave (Post 431190)
Think big like Manchester, Greater Burnley sounds good :D:D

ooh i like the sound of that:wacko8:

KIPAX 01-06-2007 12:01

Let's change the name and stuff the people of Hyndburn. we don't care what they think. let's just do it. Anyway they are all thick. If we tell them it is for there good they will fall over themselves thanking us.

Over to Accyweb :(

Tealeaf 01-06-2007 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 431185)
. Anyway, if people don't know where Hyndburn is surely that's not the fault of the people who live here - we know where we live - surely it's the fault of people who have gone to live elsewhere not spreading the word efficiently enough. ;)

Eh? You need to make your mind up, Gayle. Do you live in Hyndburn or do you live in Ossy?. Total confusion, as usual. Personally, I would live in neither.

I am pretty sure that Greg's experiances in London are the same as mine when asked where you are from...Hyndburn is completely meaningless and so you reply ".Church/Harwood...just outside Accy". People may not have heard of the former places , but they have certainly heard of the latter. I occaisionally tell 'em about a place called Oswaldtwistle, but no one believes me - they think I'm making it up.

garinda 01-06-2007 12:15

Forgive my ignorance, but when the name Hyndburn was created, instead of having separate urban councils, didn't the constituency name change at the same time? I seem to remember Arthur Davidson going from MP for Accrington to Hyndburn overnight.

It all sounds peculiarly British and half hearted, a bit like the mess we are in with weights and measures, being offically half metric and yet still half Imperial.

Wynonie Harris 01-06-2007 12:39

Quote:

I think there is some merit in changing the name to Accrington (the 'and District' bit seems a little 1920s to me). It's worth bearing mind that neighbouring Burnley also comprises of towns and villages such as Padiham, Worsthorne, Cliviger, etc without too many problems. I often say that I'm the MP for Accrington to people from London, not because I'm ashamed of the other towns (I'm an 'Arroder!) but simply because no-one has heard of Hyndburn. Giving boroughs names that weren't places was common in the 1970s but I think it's time to move on now.

For a change, I agree with Greg. Sod the "and Districts" bit, just call the borough "Accrington". I live in Stockport which has within it, a number of separate towns like Cheadle and Bramhall, all with their own identity, yet no one complains - it's just accepted as quite natural that the borough takes the name of the largest and best-known town in it. Did the residents of Huncoat and Baxenden complain pre-1974 about their identity being lost? I don't remember them doing so.

It's quite telling, too, that he often says he's the MP for Accrington. And why was this forum not called Hyndburn web? Because it's a name that no one uses, no one likes and no one, outside North East Lancs, knows!

KIPAX 01-06-2007 12:49

Go to Google /com and type in Hyndburn

Results 1 - 100 of about 894,000 for hyndburn. (0.20 seconds)

Gonne take some changing isn't it..

As for Greg Pope not mentioning Hyndburn when in London because no ones heard of it... Well DUH! perhaps if the MP did mention it then....

Tealeaf 01-06-2007 13:08

The peculiar thing is that "Hyndburn", as a historical concept, may not even be correct. If you look on some of the old maps of the area, you will see that the river is named as the "Henburn" and that the moor above it - between Clayton and Accrington - is named as Henfield Moor...the "H" was subsequently dropped to become Enfield (as per the cricket club).

The simple truth is that Hyndburn is simply a local government entity in which certain services are paid for and delivered. While there may may road signs saying Welcome to Hyndburn, it is not to be found on any Ordnance Survey or AA road map, It is ignored by the Royal Mail. It is no more than a concept dreamt up in the 1970's and as such it is now well past it's use-by date. Let's bung it in the wheelie bin, the sooner the better.

spinner 01-06-2007 13:13

accrington and district- doesnt that sound like a nice place. the district adds a certain charm i would imagine it to be a place with plenty of cobbled streets and men with cloth caps riding bycicles. the reality is a load of chavs in clayton and springhill accompanied by their menacing pitbulls. oh i forgort the wedge haircut asian lads speeding in cars ganging around the streets. how misleading is this new name? very and at a big cost to the taxpayer

Tealeaf 01-06-2007 13:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinner (Post 431211)
. how misleading is this new name? very and at a big cost to the taxpayer

So Accrington is a new name? Britcliiffe or someone like him thought of the word while lying in the bath? Are you being totally stupid or are you just trying to be like Gayle?

Bazf 01-06-2007 13:25

Quote:

Go to Google /com and type in Hyndburn

Results 1 - 100 of about 894,000 for hyndburn. (0.20 seconds)

Gonne take some changing isn't it..

Type in Accrington and you get.........
Personalized Results 1 - 10 of about 2,040,000 for accrington. (0.22 seconds.

In the ever, faster changing world of the internet 894,000 will be forgotten in about 2 days. :D

KIPAX 01-06-2007 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazf (Post 431213)
Type in Accrington and you get.........
Personalized Results 1 - 10 of about 2,040,000 for accrington. (0.22 seconds.

In the ever, faster changing world of the internet 894,000 will be forgotten in about 2 days. :D

Whoooooosh!

Take a look at the hyndburn results.. I wasn't suggesting change google...Look at all the companies and organisations.. Will they all be compensated for the name change.. it would make for a massive task and the money quoted so far wouldn't even touch it.

spinner 01-06-2007 13:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 431212)
So Accrington is a new name? Britcliiffe or someone like him thought of the word while lying in the bath? Are you being totally stupid or are you just trying to be like Gayle?

i was reffering to the full name - Accrington and District if you really must know.

Bazf 01-06-2007 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by KIPAX (Post 431216)
Whoooooosh!

Take a look at the hyndburn results.. I wasn't suggesting change google...Look at all the companies and organisations.. Will they all be compensated for the name change.. it would make for a massive task and the money quoted so far wouldn't even touch it.

Looking at the first 2 pages (who goes beyond that when surfing) and 90% are borough council or its affiliates, they would change via the tax payer. If its just changing headings on letters or website names its not that expensive. It took to page 3 before a company with Hyndburn in its name appeared.

Alvin the chipmunk 01-06-2007 13:50

I think it's a great idea, as long as 'Arrod, Ossy, Clayton etc still get to keep their identities.

Ianto.W. 01-06-2007 14:04

Quote:

Tealeaf. The name was chosen in order to avoid any suggestion of favouritism towards Accrington, although most locals would have pointed out that "Hyndburn" was only an alternative name for the river and it was most commonly referred to as "The Stink". It would appear that to have named the new local authority "Stink" was unaccepable, although no doubt over the years this name would have had far more impact than the otherwise meaningless Hyndburn.
I'm glad I read the back posts now, before putting my eighteen-pennyworth in. I was going to suggest 'stink' as it was not untill my teens that I was informed that this river was called the Hyndburn, we allways called it the river 'Stink' and rightly so because it did, and is now like the town, a dumping ground for all the worlds rubbish. In my humble opinion.

pipinfort 01-06-2007 14:23

will Altham West get its own district or be classed as accrington?

Ianto.W. 01-06-2007 14:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 431238)
will Altham West get its own district or be classed as accrington?

Is that the posh area, where they take their washing to the Launderette in a Violin case?:D

pipinfort 01-06-2007 14:36

lol .....thats the one!!!!!!

Ianto.W. 01-06-2007 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipinfort (Post 431241)
lol .....thats the one!!!!!!

I'll bet you get out of the bath to go for a wee wee to:D

Acrylic-bob 01-06-2007 14:47

Quote:

Quite so, quite so. Well...don't just sit there like cheese at fourpence - GET IT SORTED MAN!!! Good grief, do we have to do everything ourselves?

garinda 01-06-2007 14:54

I gave up counting when I got to fifty two, but there are locally quite a lot of businesses/clubs/societies/charities with Hyndburn as part of their name.

Acrylic-bob 01-06-2007 15:10

Mind you, it does seem a bit strange for the Council to be considering a name change so soon after spending tens of thousands of tax payers hard earned pounds in boasting of "thirty years of service to the community".

lancsdave 01-06-2007 15:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob (Post 431247)
Mind you, it does seem a bit strange for the Council to be considering a name change so soon after spending tens of thousands of tax payers hard earned pounds in boasting of "thirty years of service to the community".

Surely nobody expects them to spend the tens of thousands of pounds on better services/facilites do they ? :rolleyes::D

thindle 01-06-2007 18:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 431048)
I'm not arguing that it shouldn't have been called Hyndburn in the first place but the fact is that it is and I don't think it's a good idea to change it back to something that it was 30 years ago.

I understand the pride in Accrington (but remember we don't all come from Accrington and we're entitled to a bit of pride too) but the heritage of the town is not the only thing that we should be trading on. There are so many things wrong with the town at the moment and I don't think that a name change will cure it.

I NEVER wanted Hyndburn to start with But, we HAD to have it and I think it should stay. Are we really bothered that people South of Hyndburn don't know where it is. Do they know where Calder is and Pendle etc. I for one don't want just Accrington. and my town is not a District. It's Oswaldtwistle. I also used to live in a place that was the oldest, the most historic and now is the most deprived place. Church. I also came from Clayton le Moors. So NO i don't want Accrington and Districts If we can't have Church Oswaldtwistle Rishton Gt Harwood Altham etc All separate Then leave it as Hyndburn. and STOP MEDDLING.:mad:

panther 01-06-2007 18:09

I dont know if this as been asked before, but what will they call the river hyndburn? river accrington? or will it stay the same?:rolleyes:
and the buses will have to be accrington circular!!

panther 01-06-2007 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by thindle (Post 431294)
I for one don't want just Accrington. and my town is not a District. It's Oswaldtwistle. If we can't have Church Oswaldtwistle Rishton Gt Harwood Altham etc All separate Then leave it as Hyndburn. and STOP MEDDLING.:mad:

i live in oswaldtwistle too and it annoys me when i put my address on anything online, and i put ossy as town it says it cant find it, but as soon as i put accrington it finds it!!:mad: OSWALDTWISTLE is a town on its own and i have too to say that it should have its own! we dont live in accrington its OSWALDTWISTLE!!:D

garinda 01-06-2007 18:36

'The sum of £20,000 for new road signs has already been set aside in the council’s budget, says Peter Britcliffe.'

Accrington Observer - End of the road for Hyndburn

Cleverly worded Mr Britcliffe, and a nice bit of spin. £20,000 may have been set aside for new road signs, but that isn't going to be the actual cost, is it?

I have it on very good authority, after a bit of investigation, that HBC pay around £5,000 each for a road sign, which includes manufacture and erection.

Therefore, the replacement four signs we have saying Welcome to Oswaldtwistle/ Borough of Hyndburn, will alone account for the mentioned twenty thousand pounds.

Forget the Two Ronnie Fork Handles, we'll be lucky to get four signs.

I estimate the cost throughout the borough, for replacement road signs alone, never mind all the other changes that will need to be done, will be over £100,000.

Perhaps the people who don't live in Hyndburn, but who think this will be a change for the better, will make a donation, to help those of us who live here, pay for it.

Hyndburn is just the name of our council. We all know where we live, and are rightly proud. This rebranding is going to be a complete waste of money, no matter what spin Mr Britcliffe puts on it.

garinda 01-06-2007 18:37

A point to note.

If we all stop paying Hyndburn Borough Council our Council Tax now, they won't be able to claim a penny back after it's disbanded, as they will no longer exist.;)

steeljack 01-06-2007 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 431309)
'The sum of £20,000 for new road signs has already been set aside in the council’s budget, says Peter Britcliffe.'

Accrington Observer - End of the road for Hyndburn

Cleverly worded Mr Britcliffe, and a nice bit of spin. £20,000 may have been set aside for new road signs, but that isn't going to be the actual cost, is it?

I have it on very good authority, after a bit of investigation, that HBC pay around £5,000 each for a road sign, which includes manufacture and erection.

Therefore, the replacement four signs we have saying Welcome to Oswaldtwistle/ Borough of Hyndburn, will alone account for the mentioned twenty thousand pounds.

Forget the Two Ronnie Fork Handles, we'll be lucky to get four signs.

I estimate the cost throughout the borough, for replacement road signs alone, never mind all the other changes that will need to be done, will be over £100,000.

Perhaps the people who don't live in Hyndburn, but who think this will be a change for the better, will make a donation, to help those of us who live here, pay for it.

Hyndburn is just the name of our council. We all know where we live, and are rightly proud. This rebranding is going to be a complete waste of money, no matter what spin Mr Britcliffe puts on it.

I'm sure if someone goes on a scavenger hunt through the Council yards they will find all the original signs , just put them back up , and as for donations , I'm sure the many proud and independant folks of the area would be against the idea of recieving handouts from outsiders

:D:D:D

garinda 01-06-2007 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by steeljack (Post 431314)
I'm sure if someone goes on a scavenger hunt through the Council yards they will find all the original signs , just put them back up , and as for donations , I'm sure the many proud and independant folks of the area would be against the idea of recieving handouts from outsiders

:D:D:D

As stated earlier, this isn't the old name of the borough. Accrington and District Borough is a new name, hence new signs needed.

steeljack 01-06-2007 19:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 431320)
As stated earlier, this isn't the old name of the borough. Accrington and District Borough is a new name, hence new signs needed.

Like anyone would notice if the sign said "Accrington Borough" or 'Accrington and District Borough'

So how many thousands of Guineas will the Royal College of Arms charge for creating and registering the new crests :confused::confused:

Bazf 01-06-2007 21:24

Quote:

As I own the house my dad lives in and I pay the council tax, maybe I should ask for a rebate as I don't live there. In fact as I don't get to vote and have a say in what happens maybe the people who live there could pay for the numourous telephone calls I have to make every year to sort most of the problems that are caused by the said people. Maybe we could all put our hands in our pockets and therefore reduce the cost for all of you still living there.

garinda 01-06-2007 21:24

Pondering on this issue a little longer...

when asked, we all know where we come from. Be it Accrington, Great Harwood, Church, wherever, and we say so.

The only person who will have a problem, when asked what he does, and where he's from, is Peter Britcliffe. Who will elicit blank faces, when he tells them he is leader of Hyndburn Council. Tough.

This all seems a bit like the supposed embarrassment that councillors said they faced, when visiting councillors came to the council chambers, and the resulting expense, was to the tune of £40,000 for one room.

Most people couldn't care two hoots that we are called Hyndburn, we aren't. It's only the council who are stuck with the name.

Services, not name changes are the order of the day.

garinda 01-06-2007 21:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazf (Post 431349)
As I own the house my dad lives in and I pay the council tax, maybe I should ask for a rebate as I don't live there. In fact as I don't get to vote and have a say in what happens maybe the people who live there could pay for the numourous telephone calls I have to make every year to sort most of the problems that are caused by the said people. Maybe we could all put our hands in our pockets and therefore reduce the cost for all of you still living there.

Perhaps if some of the hundreds of thousands of pounds this is going to coast, was invested in staff training at HBC, you wouldn't have quite as many problems.;)

garinda 01-06-2007 22:00

Read cost, instead of coast in the above post.

BB theme tune was starting.:D

WillowTheWhisp 01-06-2007 22:57

1 Attachment(s)
I know why they want to change it! It's because I keep referring to it as Hyndborg Borough Council!

katex 02-06-2007 10:26

I'm still confused as to how changing the name would invite more investors, etc. Would like to see the research papers which drew the council to this conclusion. If a business is looking for a new location, they surely would not search under the council's title anyway, would they ?

I always find that when people ask me where my work is based, they are more interested in the name Oswaldtwistle and how Oswald's twistle came about and ask lots of questions on the history of the town and current industries Nr. Accrington does prompt the comment more often than not of Accrington Stanley, but then there is that hint of laughter behind it .. due to the milk advert I think, and never do customers ask any more about the town.

I don't believe it will make one iota of difference to commercial enterprise, hope I am proved wrong.

garinda 02-06-2007 11:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 431446)
I'm still confused as to how changing the name would invite more investors, etc. Would like to see the research papers which drew the council to this conclusion. If a business is looking for a new location, they surely would not search under the council's title anyway, would they ?

I always find that when people ask me where my work is based, they are more interested in the name Oswaldtwistle and how Oswald's twistle came about and ask lots of questions on the history of the town and current industries Nr. Accrington does prompt the comment more often than not of Accrington Stanley, but then there is that hint of laughter behind it .. due to the milk advert I think, and never do customers ask any more about the town.

I don't believe it will make one iota of difference to commercial enterprise, hope I am proved wrong.

Exactly Kate. I know you travel all over the UK as part of your job, and the fact that we are in Hyndburn doesn't even come up. No one either knows, or cares, and it certainly doesn't hinder commerce in any way.

I'm telling you. The only person who is embarrassed, and has to use the name Hyndburn as part of his job title, is Peter Britcliffe. He'll be at some bun fight somewhere for council leaders, and have to keep explaining where Hyndburn is. Tough. Are we all expected to pay for this little hinderance?

The rest of us never even have to say the name Hyndburn, so it isn't a problem.

spinner 02-06-2007 11:22

i also dont see how a change in name will attract more investors to accrington. this remarketing is going to be a a waste of cash. they are also going to waste paper as the old forms will be binned, new sighn posts being erected etc. all this will use uneccessary energy. in this day and age of counting carbon footprints maybe we just cant afford to do this even though accrington and district sounds a bit nicer.
wasnt it peter britcliff showing off about composting teabags. how can he justify this then?

spinner 02-06-2007 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 431475)
. Are we all expected to pay for this little hinderance?

the problem is we always pay for his every whim

garinda 02-06-2007 11:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinner (Post 431477)
the problem is we always pay for his every whim

...and yet he keeps getting re-elected.

spinner 02-06-2007 11:50

i bet that Garinda is right on this one. Britcliffe just wants this replacement name cause he cant be bothered to explain where Hyndburn is and what it is made up of. he so used to spending our money carelessley( eg expensive website) that he places little value on it and this attitude is applied to this new idea.

cashman 02-06-2007 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 431479)
...and yet he keeps getting re-elected.

and that just about sums up the electorate around here.:(:confused:

Margaret Pilkington 02-06-2007 12:01

This change is not a minute before time. We should NEVER have adopted the name 'Hyndburn' in the first place.

garinda 02-06-2007 12:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 431493)
This change is not a minute before time. We should NEVER have adopted the name 'Hyndburn' in the first place.

I agree. It's nonsensical. But are you prepared to pay for the considerable cost to change it?

Your location is Clayton-le-Moors. I can't think of any Accy Web member who has given their location as Hyndburn.

We might have no great love for the name, but it is purely a political name for our borough. None of us use it, and I think it is scandalous to spend money on changing it, when ammenities and services are already so lacking in many parts of the borough.

WillowTheWhisp 02-06-2007 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinner (Post 431476)
i also dont see how a change in name will attract more investors to accrington. this remarketing is going to be a a waste of cash. they are also going to waste paper as the old forms will be binned, new sighn posts being erected etc. all this will use uneccessary energy. in this day and age of counting carbon footprints maybe we just cant afford to do this even though accrington and district sounds a bit nicer.
wasnt it peter britcliff showing off about composting teabags. how can he justify this then?

Absolutely correct Spinner. Another case of the council and 'do as I say, not as I do.' - waste of time and money not to mention the environmental impact of all the waste.

Ianto.W. 02-06-2007 12:55

Does anyone remember the General Election recount, when we still did not have a result till the day after, the rest of the country spent hours trying to find Hyndburn on the map, I think some of them will still be wondering;). The sooner they change it the better, I do not want to be buried in Hyndburn Cemetery:D.

katex 02-06-2007 13:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 431502)
Does anyone remember the General Election recount, when we still did not have a result till the day after, the rest of the country spent hours trying to find Hyndburn on the map, I think some of them will still be wondering;).

Oh, I very much doubt it Ian, the electorate would just be interested which way we were going to swing, not particularly where we were. Why should they ? Look at this link and see how many you could sort out geographically, I only looked at A/B and reckon didn't know 50%

Local councils : Directgov - Directories

Mentioned before I think that one of my most overplayed conversations I have with people is where Accy is... start off with between Blackburn and Burnley, then have to move to 15 miles east of Preston, and if this fails 30 miles north of Manchester... believe me, that is common.

Ianto.W. 02-06-2007 13:27

Quote:

katex. Oh, I very much doubt it Ian, the electorate would just be interested which way we were going to swing, not particularly where we were. Why should they ? Look at this link and see how many you could sort out geographically, I only looked at A/B and reckon didn't know 50%
Hi katex how's you doing? I like the address of Hyndburn Council in the bit where it said usefull information, 'Scaitcliffe House Accrington', now that say's it all. Your right though for all the publicity Accrington has had via Stanley etc, not many strangers countrywide know where it is geographically, regards Ian.

garinda 02-06-2007 13:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ianto.W. (Post 431502)
Does anyone remember the General Election recount, when we still did not have a result till the day after, the rest of the country spent hours trying to find Hyndburn on the map, I think some of them will still be wondering;).

It's only the name of the borough council they are planning to change. Hyndburn will still exist as the name of our constituency in Westminster, as Greg Pope has pointed out.

Ianto.W. 02-06-2007 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 431517)
It's only the name of the borough council they are planning to change. Hyndburn will still exist as the name of our constituency in Westminster, as Greg Pope has pointed out.

Hi rindy yes I did read it, shame we will still be lumbered with the 'stink'. ;)

katex 02-06-2007 14:05

Doin' just dandy Ian, and glad to read that things are ok with you too xx

Anyway, just to re-iterate other's thoughts as posted in this thread:-

Peter Britcliffe has formed this idea merely on the theory that everybody when asked where they come from, we all state HYNDBURN. I have never, ever done this, and bet nobody else in the borough does either. So that is complete nonsense.

I now always say Clayton-le-Moors, and when they ask where it is .. just answer North-East Lancs, which is enough for anybody to take in and remember.

Don't think in the future if asked I will be replying "Accrington and District" :D

WillowTheWhisp 02-06-2007 15:38

People may well have heard of Accrington, mainly as a joke through the old "Accrington Stanley - who are they?" but I always have to explain to people where it is located too so that's no different to people not knowing where Hyndburn is. I remember when we first became part of Hyndburn there was all the palaver repainting the logo all over the place. What's the betting we'll still be finding that stupid grey "hynd's head over a burn" on things in another 30 years time?

I live in Accrington which is part of Hyndburn. How difficult is that? How many more stupid excuses does this council need to waste more of our money?

Stanaccy 02-06-2007 19:57

Actually I DON'T want to live in Accrington and District as I live in Great Harwood, not a district of Accrington but part of Hyndburn for the last 33 years and before that was Great Harwood UDC.

I don't hear people from Streatham and Brixton saying "We don't live in Lambeth" or worrying that it isn't a geographical location just a political one.

Leave it, at least this way if people ask about Hyndburn we can say Ossie, Church, Clayton et al rather than folk assume it's Accrington. FFS if I wanted to live in Accrington I'd have moved there.

maxwell silver 02-06-2007 21:34

100th post & lets be honest who really gives a sh** anymore.