Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Jon Venables to get married (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/jon-venables-to-get-married-32845.html)

Lilly 13-08-2007 15:30

Jon Venables to get married

James Bulger's boy killer Jon Venables 'to get married' | The Daily Telegraph

We were discussing this at work today and I am just interested what everyone on here has to say about this.Jon Venables,one of the 10 year old boys who murdered James Bulger in Liverpool in 1993 is to get married soon.His fiancee is blisfully unaware of his past and he has been advised by his case workers,for reasons detailed in above link, never to tell her.
What do we think?Is this the right thing to do?
I can't make up my mind.I think it's definitely the right thing by him but what about her?Doesn't she have a right to know who she's marrying and possibly having children with?
I know when we get married we do not have the right to know every detail of our partner's past but is it not different with something as big as this?Should she be told?

flashy 13-08-2007 15:31

Re: Jon Venables to get married

i wonder if his 'wife to be' knows exactly who he is? they both had a new identity when they came out of 'prison'

yes she should definately be told

accymel 13-08-2007 15:34

I think she should be told so she can make up her own mind for her safety & that of future offspring, theres many a case of domestic violence & child abuse as it is of the actual unknown, in this case there is a risk & he should be watched closely. If i was the bride to be parents i would be deeply annoyed IMHO.

BERNADETTE 13-08-2007 15:36

I think she has every right to know who she is marrying. What is the world coming to when monsters like this are the ones who get the protection instead of innocent people?

cashman 13-08-2007 15:37

he served only 8 yrs for that horrific crime, out to a new identity,fresh start, thats more than many good single parents kids get,makes me very angry,and as for telling him to conceal his identity from her,thats says everything about SOCIAL WORKERS.:mad:

Lilly 13-08-2007 15:43

I know they were only 10 and we have to believe that they are now rehabilitated and let them get on with life but he committed a heinous crime.I can see the point about if they split up or she confides in a friend that word could get out and his identity could be blown but this all does seem to be set up to protect him whilst deceiving her.She doesn't appear to have any rights at all in this,does she?:confused:

whistler 13-08-2007 15:48

She should know who she is marrying, I think it will only be a matter of time before she find out anyway, then just imagine her horror.

magpie 13-08-2007 15:48

The same thing happened with Mary Bell, only I think she told her partner :

It makes me sick to think that the little ( can't really say what I would like to call him) can now
go on to lead a normal life and have his own children, after all the hurt he's caused.....

They should at least made him unable to reproduce.... before they let him out:

Lilly 13-08-2007 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by whistler (Post 459681)
She should know who she is marrying, I think it will only be a matter of time before she find out anyway, then just imagine her horror.

It may not make a difference to her if she did know.She may forgive him,tell him it's all in the past and still want him as her husband.....then again she may not.

accymel 13-08-2007 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilly (Post 459686)
It may not make a difference to her if she did know.She may forgive him,tell him it's all in the past and still want him as her husband.....then again she may not.

But least that would be her choice then - which would be fine, but the higher of society is encouraging keeping massive secrets in matromony:confused:

shakermaker 13-08-2007 16:21

I really don't know what to think about this.
On one hand, he carried out a horrific act, one which a saint would find hard to forgive. But on the other side of it he has served his time in prison & has been seen fit to be released. What's the point in prisons and sentences if people are marred by their past actions even after they've been punished for them?
I don't know.

jambutty 13-08-2007 16:38

Have you ever considered asking an easy question Lilly?

Like you Lilly I’ve had a hard time making my mind up on this issue but have finally done so with some trepidation.

Venables should tell his prospective wife but no one else should.

accymel 13-08-2007 16:41

He's not going to tell her if he is being forced to silence - you never know he may have wanted to tell her as its no doubt had some lasting effect, also with regards to his own family slipping up or just the 'it dont seem right' atmosphere, but i think his workers have ordered him so - possible:rolleyes:

KIPAX 13-08-2007 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by accymel (Post 459689)
But least that would be her choice then - which would be fine, but the higher of society is encouraging keeping massive secrets in matromony

I am with accymel on this.. it doesn't matter what the secret is. what the question is or who did what or when.... it's wrong to encourage keeping a person in the dark.. ie the women.. She should be given the choice.. take that away and.. well thats wrong :(

SPUGGIE J 13-08-2007 16:46

Better to tell her because it will come out at some point in the future and would do more damage if there are children involved. Even though he is supposed to be rehabilitated would the authorities really let him have kids?