Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Chat (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/)
-   -   Hospital parking (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f69/hospital-parking-40311.html)

jaysay 13-06-2008 16:28

Hospital parking

Parking charges at the Royal Blackburn Hospital were £590,287 last year, of this £337, 000 was paid by the public and £253,000 from the Staff, it cost £1.80 which rises to £3.80 after six hours, the thing that narks me the most is the amount staff are charged. This is just a tax on the sick and their relatives, anyone who has spent any time in hospital, look forward to visiting hours they are all part of the recovery process, your relatives have now got to pa for the privilege. Just a point, if Gordon is ever taken ill in his home constituency he or his family won't have to pay parking fees at the hospital, parkings free in Scotland :(

yerself 13-06-2008 16:35

Re: Hospital parking

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay
if Gordon is ever taken ill in his home constituency he or his family won't have to pay parking fees at the hospital, parkings free in Scotland

They won't have to pay in England. I don't think BUPA, Nuffield, or any of the other private hospitals charge. Do they?

Bonnyboy 13-06-2008 18:25

The charges are very very unfair. They are just macking a fast buck out of peoples misery.

jambutty 13-06-2008 18:35

This is yet another facet of the dodecahedron of “pricing the ordinary person out of their cars.”

Make no mistake, we who had the temerity to get above our station, learn to drive and actually own a car, are going to be slapped down back onto our own two feet.

Words like scandalous come to mind.

entwisi 13-06-2008 18:41

quarter of a million for Staff to park! That is disgusting. Lettie, where do we sign to show our feelings on the matter. The nurses do a hard job on not a lot of money, to take that amount off them they shoud be ashamed of themselves. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!

garinda 13-06-2008 18:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 592285)
if Gordon is ever taken ill in his home constituency he or his family won't have to pay parking fees at the hospital, parkings free in Scotland :(

...along with free tuition fees for students, and free residential care for the elderly, and yet Scottish M.P.'s still vote at Westminster on issues which only apply to England and Wales.

The whole thing stinks, nearly as much as the parking fees.

shillelagh 13-06-2008 18:46

Thats across the whole trust though isnt it jaysay?

In this weeks Rossendale Free Press they have broken down the charges they've also added in Fairfield and Rochdales as people from rossendale go to both of them as well as burnley and blackburn.

According to the Free press in the last 12 months car parking charges netted Burnley General Hospital £252,000, The Royal Blackburn Hospital £85,425, Fairfield Bury £266,896, Rochdale infirmary £112,524. The staff car parking charges Royal Blackburn £168,862, Burnley £84,000, Fairfield £142,102, Rochdale £112,062.

The telegraph hasnt broken it down to each hospital - just took it all together.

garinda 13-06-2008 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 592357)
This is yet another facet of the dodecahedron of “pricing the ordinary person out of their cars.”

Do you get out of your car?

I thought you just sat there in a disabled parking bay, while your able bodied passenger did your errands?

Neil 13-06-2008 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerself (Post 592289)
They won't have to pay in England. I don't think BUPA, Nuffield, or any of the other private hospitals charge. Do they?

Not sure about that, I will let you know if I ever have to use one.

Neil 13-06-2008 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 592362)
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!

If more Doctors and Nurses wore masks and remembered more of their basic training the hospitals would have less visitors.

jambutty 14-06-2008 08:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 592376)
Do you get out of your car?

I thought you just sat there in a disabled parking bay, while your able bodied passenger did your errands?

Spoken like a true obnoxious jerk.

I admit to doing that once and you jump to the erroneous conclusion that I do it all the time.

Visualise me showing you that I can still draw a long bow with either hand.

jaysay 14-06-2008 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 592370)
...along with free tuition fees for students, and free residential care for the elderly, and yet Scottish M.P.'s still vote at Westminster on issues which only apply to England and Wales.

The whole thing stinks, nearly as much as the parking fees.

Well Rindi at least we can agree on somethings:rolleyes:

jaysay 14-06-2008 09:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by shillelagh (Post 592371)
Thats across the whole trust though isnt it jaysay?

In this weeks Rossendale Free Press they have broken down the charges they've also added in Fairfield and Rochdales as people from rossendale go to both of them as well as burnley and blackburn.

According to the Free press in the last 12 months car parking charges netted Burnley General Hospital £252,000, The Royal Blackburn Hospital £85,425, Fairfield Bury £266,896, Rochdale infirmary £112,524. The staff car parking charges Royal Blackburn £168,862, Burnley £84,000, Fairfield £142,102, Rochdale £112,062.

The telegraph hasnt broken it down to each hospital - just took it all together.

Never realised Fairfield and Rochdale came under our Health Authority, thought they came under North Manchester

garinda 14-06-2008 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by jambutty (Post 592587)
Spoken like a true obnoxious jerk.

I admit to doing that once and you jump to the erroneous conclusion that I do it all the time.

Visualise me showing you that I can still draw a long bow with either hand.

Just because you've been reminded of something you did that the rest of us thought morally wrong, there's no need to get all defensive.

Boeing Guy 14-06-2008 10:32

£1.80 thats cheap, look at the price of a lock change at BRI:
From the Guardian.

David Hencke, Westminster correspondent
Thursday January 17, 2008
The Guardian

Millions of pounds of taxpayers' money is being wasted by officials who overpay private firms to do the simplest tasks like installing a new electric socket or replacing a lock, the National Audit Office reveals today.

An investigation into £180m of public money spent renegotiating private finance initiative contracts to build and run hospitals, schools, prisons and courts in 2006 reveals 10-fold differences in payments for similar tasks. With PFI being Gordon Brown's favourite way to fund new public projects - it now accounts for £44bn of public spending - the NAO is calling for much tighter controls over any changes to the contracts, which often run for 30 years or more.

The report cites Royal Blackburn Hospital as the best and worst example of saving and wasting public money. It qualifies for the cheapest and most expensive cost for replacing a key - £4.26 to £47.48. It also qualifies for the most expensive bill to fit a data point - £398.30 - and the most expensive lock change - £486.54. The cheapest lock fitting was in Calderdale Royal Hospital in Halifax at £30.81.

PFI waste of money, still Gordon does not care about that.